Closet space HPS or LED advice

You will be fine with 2 mars II 400, but 350watts for about 6 sq ft is way overkill and a waste of electricity u only need 25w per sft with led and your at 58 more then double... 150w pet sqft would be your lowest required light and 260w would be the max u would need and buying 2 lights at almost 200 each is 380$. you could find a light between 250$ - 300$ around 200w to 260w power consumption. you would of saved about 80$ on lights and 100w to 150w per hour per day.

if you want to save you have to do the proper mathematics, 350watts power consumption to run lights in a 1.5x4ft space is way to much power needed and a waste thats not saving anything at all... 350watts should replace an hps 600 light. how can u take advantage of your 350watts with such a small coverage fe you would of saved big time. if you search around you can find a light thats 2.5ft to 3ft long and 8 to 9 inch wide running 3w ootprint just alot of wasted light. if you would of gone with a light thats configured differently and more adapt for your growing spacx 150 to 3wx170 leds with a 4x2.5 coverage. this light would be way more beneficial to your setup and you would save in price and watts and produce just as good cause when it comes to production they will produce the same in your space only you dont need that much wattage to cover your space if you pick the right light for your space.

In no way am I saying there lights wont work for your setup they will work for sure. they were just not the best light for your space configuration square lights are fine for square spaces but rectangular spaces need a rectangular light. but in the end youll do just fine with your mars lights they should grow you some nice buds but heat might be an issue when u add another one.

Congrats JJ on your purchase, I think you're gonna love the Mars II 400. I bet yours even has the switches and the mount points in the corners. Yes it's a bit of a sore spot for me.

You will be fine with 2 mars II 400, but 350watts for about 6 sq ft is way overkill and a waste of electricity

32" by 62" isn't about 6 sq feet, it's more than double that.

square lights are fine for square spaces but rectangular spaces need a rectangular light.

Two squares make a rectangle! :)

Yup by my calculations its approximately 13.7 sq feet. That comes to 27realdraw watts/ sq foot if the whole closet is used. But I like to do 50w/sq foot. In reality it may be on the high side but what we are trying to do is get the sugariest nicest buds we can. To me the extra electricity is no big deal if it can help me produce more bud of more quality. I have seen some folks go 70/sq foot but I think 50w/sq is the sweet spot. I hang my LEDs very close, about 6-8". These are 5w diodes though so I would go a little higher. In the end you may be good with three lights total, but two is a great start.
Two smaller lights is always better than one light of the same total wattage. This is because you can spread them out to where it is the same intensity between them as it is under them. You can also hang them at different heights if need be. RTK Has two in a 4x4 and it is doing great.

:slide: :high-five: :bravo:

Send us an invite when you do so I don't miss it, if you don't mind.

Very excited to watch ya get this hobby going. You're gonna love it!

:yahoo:

Edit: Opps, didn't realize you haven't posted 50 times yet. Post a link here and add it to your signature and I'm sure I'll find it. Sorry.

A osculating fan will be included in the upper area but I never put much thought into the lower section where the seedlings will be held. I could always mount a few computer fans to the side of the box for the seedlings to assist with drawing air in. Im still constructing the closet so any input is appreciated.

After further review of the 400w I worry I may not get the penetration and will obviously have better yield with 2 700s instead of 2 400's but 3 400's could be arguable.

The thought of losing a light is a fear.........

you will be happy with LED in that closet instead of the hps solution. im sure. i had a big room for my growing before. then i had to downsize so i went LED in a small closet in a south turned small apartment with big windows were summer heat is a major issue, and even something winterheat even :D But with the LEDs it is still functional during the summer i could never do that with hps. further more i have a tree step grow with termostatcontroller taking only 300w when everything is running on max. temps are between 80.6F and 82.5 constant when lights on. and i only spend 24w on the active intake and exaust air. it runs for about two-five minutes every five-ten minutes or so.

20160110_115357.jpg

in top 2x 48x5w mars reflectors for flower

bottom right 50w led for vegging

bottom left 12w led for seedlings rooting and two small motherplants

two last harvests gave me after 8 weeks flower 160g dry other one was 150 in 9 weeks (both batteling spidermites from my garden :) so had to restart the hole closet now.

these are from the 8 weeks flower 160g grow
20151022_132739.jpg
20151018_154057.jpg
20151016_110701.jpg

two of the plants grown in the small closet. still nice result i think even tho i had spidermites.

my friends have both mars 2 400w and 900w and they work great.

So my Mars 2 showed in 3 business days and I was impressed, upon opening the package the I noticed the 4 mounts but no veg/bloom switch........ Anyways its a nice product, fast shipping and good customer service. I will be buying another at the end of the month to pursue my grow with.

Thanks for the input and pics @Klovneposen Looks like a nice crop even though you had your issues! Closet looks very similar to mine as well!

Grow Journal will be started tonight - Title - Super Silver Haze - Soil - 2x Mars 2 400 watt - Converted Closet

Sad to hear they are still shipping out the old model to Canadians. Both models have four mount points, but on the new model with the switch they are in the corners rather than on the sides, making it easier to hang with two ratchet hangers and have the damned thing hang straight.

Maybe you'll get lucky, and regardless it is a fantastic light.

Off to look up your grow journal. Make sure you add it to your signature so others can more easily find it.

oops my bad i tought is space was 2x3 but its really 1.8x5.2...

2 mars at 27watt sqft dont worry your good... leds only require half the sqft then an hps as the light is more efficient..... so if 40 sqft is minimum for hps then 20 sqft minimum for leds...

I just dont like mars hydro because the spectrum is too generic and not good for marijuana... when you see what a real good spectrum can do for your buds you'll understand when you see your leaves crusted in thick trichomes and you cant see any green on the leaves anymore... but mars hydro lights are uncapable of that because they have no uv ir and many other colors. like deep rep... leds light wont finish your crop early if you have no deep red... crystals will be crystals but it wont be crusted with crystals without uv so why make a led without the benefits for marijuana but promote to growers... i come to understand they built there business on customer service with a product that wouldnt make my top 3 as well priced lights... galaxyhydro eshine apollo are all better then mars because their spectrum is better... until they upgrade their spectrum i cant even consider them...

lol... theres levels to theses lights... and mars hydro is extremely basic level 1 light epistar epiled... level 2 is osram bridgelux level 3 is cob cree.... then not all spectrum is equal... mars hydro as the most basic spectrum... I know what leds can do but with no uv no orange or green or deep red its failing to be a marijuana grow light.... when u can find 9 bands 11 bands 12 bands full spectrum.... only reason why i not buy mars hydro is because epistar led run at 200ma and osram at 400ma double the power much better penetration... and only blue and red with lil white spectrum is joke.... real basic beginner spectrum.... but it does grow bud... you just dont get the perks other lights will bring to your crop....

And another thing. A Marshydro 130 watt draw light is 65 dollars right now. One premium 350 watt draw light costs about 650 bucks or more. Do you really think that one light will outperform 10 of the marshydros at 1300 actual watts? Sorry but that lil Marshydro is the best deal around right now. It is ok for you to have an opinion but you dont have a reason to come on this guys thread and tell him his lights are crap. They are good lights and tons of grows on this forum have great results using them including the one I posted.

Sorry that may sound a little harsh when I read it back again. I don't mean to sound like a jerk. I am just trying to say JJspinna will do very well with these lights and pull out some great buds. They aren't premium but they are just as good as some "premiums" and can do great things. I may invest in a few as a nice supplemental light. I do respect your opinion though dropout and also feel a full spectrum is better. And new tech will continue to improve results. But these Marshydro are not scammer lights. They are solid, trichome producing LEDs. Look at arteekay's grow. Just beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom