Ventilation and filtering

Chuxstauk

420 Member
Hi all,
I am about to start my first grow, which will be an auto flower in and an indoor one. In a 60x60x140 tent.
It's going to be a few weeks before I need to consider an air filter but I want to work out what I need now, rather than last minute.

I have read several in depth posts on choosing the correct filtered extraction for size of the tent.

Some people say work out the cubic size of the tent and divide by X. Others say times it by Y.
For every post I find that confirms what I have worked it out to be there is another saying the polar opposite.

I have read a few of said posts on this forum too. As I was impressed with the overall vibe here I opted to set up camp here.

So using a formula I have found on here, seen on other pages and a web based calculator for this question, I would of thought a fan and filter with a cfm of 500 ( or there abouts ) would be required for the size of tent I have stated.
is this the case or would a lower CFM be adequate?

many thanks in advance.

I’d think a 4 inch extraction fan would be plenty big enough, I believe that is around 100cfm I don’t know if you can go smaller than 4 inch but I have one for air in and one for extraction. My fan is directly connected to the carbon filter. This quiets the noise of the fan, but it will reduce the power. Because of this I do one 10” for extraction and one is 8”.

You could go bigger and use a fan controller. It will help with noise as it won’t be running at full power.

500 CFM is 8in fan territory lmao. No you definitely don't need that much fan, I run a pair of 1m+ sq tents with one 8 in fan.

A four inch should be enough for your application unless your house is overly hot/cold humid or dry then a 6 in with speed controller is going to give you more flexibility.

Thank you all for your replies.
I am glad I asked as I would of dropped a bit of a boll**k..
Suppose if I had got a 6" I would of also been able to filter the dog and my farts out the entire flat too.

The follow on question,

Could anyone recommend a fan and filter, as a kit or parts?

I dont want cheap as possible and don't want to go as far as Walter whites meth lab.

I have seen numerous posts about the Rhino range of fans and filters..

As long as it works and doesn't sound like I have a microlight engine in my flat.

Back
Top Bottom