Ventilation Setup

vickg35

Newbie here, just looking for advice on my ventilation setup. I'm working with a 2x4x5 grow tent, 400w cooltube . Looking at some inline fans just not sure where to start. Thinking of going a inexpensive route and buying something off ebay/amazon. Any help is appreciated

Would I be good with a a 4"? And how many cfms for the size of my tent?

4 inch is more than enough for a tiny little half tent... Don't know what they are in CFM but most the top quality ones, (which you definitely do not HAVE TO have in your setup; you could manage on something cheaper if you're looking to just get your feet wet for the first time) do like 250m3/hr if I remember rightly... You want the volume of air exchanged to be the volume of the grow every three mins MINIMUM; at least that's what they say, I know folks who have managed on much less. For example: if you're tent were 4x4x4 you would have 64 cubic feet, so therefore the minimum for your room you need a fan of no less than about 25 CFM or something. Add in your figures ( I couldn't see the post anymore once I got to the replying screen) and hey presto: you have the minimum required. For OPTIMAL performance you could go a tiny bit higher but with such a small space it just wouldn't be necessary unless you run into heat issues...

Best of luck
Cheers
LD

My vent set up ,can fan, German made eBay 82 dollars
IMG_74121.JPG

Hi vickg35! Your grow space volume is only 40 ft3 so a 4" fan would work well even a half (or lower) speed. However, all depends on how stealthy / quiet you desire to be. Timwhoa's suggestion of a 6" set-up would allow the fan to run even slower which may give significantly quieter sound level from the fan. In either case, much of the noise in a typical ventilation system is from the rush of air through the system and this won't be a big problem for you at the low air speeds needed for your tent. Either approach should work for you. Good luck!

exactly the large fans can be turned way down slow with the variac controller, but the price goes way up with the big fans, the whoosing sound of the air goes way down when the slower moving air moves thru a 6 or 8 inch tunnel , a 4 inch fan can be ran quiet for sure, and if your tight on money, a harbor frieght speed controller ( sold as a router controller) , and some foam glued or sprayed inside of your 4 inch ducting will also quiet that sucker down,, good luck

Back
Top Bottom