Venus Fly traps

Hein

Hey guys

Do any of you have any experience with venus fly traps??? I repotted mine and its starting to grow but i want to know if i can plant it out into the garden at a later stage???

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_115238.jpg
    IMG_20200927_115238.jpg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 12
Hey guys

Do any of you have any experience with venus fly traps??? I repotted mine and its starting to grow but i want to know if i can plant it out into the garden at a later stage???
I have some limited experience with VFT's and a few other carnivorous plants. It would be unlikely that it would survive in the garden and, depending on your medium, it may struggle in the pot. They tend to live in mud bogs and should be planted in sphagnum peat moss that needs to be kept very moist. Potting soil is not good for them, nor are any nutes which tends to be present in potting soil. The also like lots of humidity.

Thanx for the reply.

The place i bought it from kept it indoors but google said that its original habitat is outside in the sun. Thats the main reason i asked here. Found some talented people here and will become my future source of info.
I used coco coir for the medium due to budget restraints. Spaghnum Peat Moss is quite expensive here. I place it inside during the night time and outside alongside my other plants during the day. I havent seen any signs of it getting worse. In fact they are getting bigger and starting to catch their own food.

I wanted to mix in some compost but i remember a website mention that they don't like that.

You can make a small peat bog outside. I haven't seem anyone use coir before. Rachel O'Leary is a fish keeper on YouTube that also made an outdoor peat bog for carnivorous plants. I think she is in full sun but I'm not 100% on that. Think she has pitcher plants and sundews...

VFT's do best outdoors in full sun but the soil needs to remain wet at all times. The way I've seen it done is to keep them in pots that are constantly sitting in water. The medium can't be allowed to dry out. Also, they need a dormancy period but can't tolerate a heavy frost. I think they're native to North Carolina. I live in the tropics, so I literally had to put mine in the fridge for a few months which was too much of a PITA for me to do. I know they can't tolerate a heavy frost but I think they're OK into the 20's F, or so. Other than that, they get the nutrients through the traps, so they can't tolerate nutes, or even hard water. Most recommend distilled or rainwater.

This one is catching flies already. A bit to big but nonetheless. New growth is coming along fast and it seems that the outdoors is doing it just great.

Im keeping the coir moist at all times and other than that its all good...

Attachments

• IMG_20201004_072443.jpg
    IMG_20201004_072443.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20201004_072433.jpg
    IMG_20201004_072433.jpg
    828.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20201004_072415.jpg
    IMG_20201004_072415.jpg
    744.6 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom