Vermicomposter gurus have a few questions

Chrisx510

So I’m planning on starting a Vermicompost bin in a VermiHut. What I’ll be doing is adding
Kelp
Comfrey
Alfalfa
Neem Meal
Glacial Rock Dust (a little)
and the typical fruits and veggies
But from my understanding the worms don’t actually eat the fruit and veggies themselves. But are more attracted to the bacteria’s growing on them. What I was wondering, is it a good idea to sprinkle some King of Mycorrhizae by Green Gro across all the food. For a little extra added bacteria and some fungus. Or would it be a little useless, I was thinking the fungus would grow pretty damn amazing in there. Plus the added bacteria and everything would help keep PH right for the warms and everything.

You can give the compost a jump start fer sure. Don't spend money on it tho just use what you have laying around. Can even go grab a shovel full of humus in the woods or back yard if you have some old leaves from last year laying around.

Are you adding worms and what species??

We do vermi bins outside put everything weed put in the kitchen sink in the bin.

From the looks of that vermi-hut its a worm bin so you're actually growing worms.

We do it a little different so we dont need to keep it indoors for many reasons. One being its a lot more work. Like having pet worms. lol Outside its 1 season the winter comes, worms lay eggs compost keeps composting in the spring its done. Worms come back to life and repeat.

We usually have 2 bins going one we start adding to around now and let the other finish for the spring gardening deal. We just moved last year so haven't gotten the other bin up and running yet.

You can give the compost a jump start fer sure. Don't spend money on it tho just use what you have laying around. Can even go grab a shovel full of humus in the woods or back yard if you have some old leaves from last year laying around.

Are you adding worms and what species??

We do vermi bins outside put everything weed put in the kitchen sink in the bin.

From the looks of that vermi-hut its a worm bin so you're actually growing worms.

We do it a little different so we dont need to keep it indoors for many reasons. One being its a lot more work. Like having pet worms. lol Outside its 1 season the winter comes, worms lay eggs compost keeps composting in the spring its done. Worms come back to life and repeat.

We usually have 2 bins going one we start adding to around now and let the other finish for the spring gardening deal. We just moved last year so haven't gotten the other bin up and running yet.
With the vermi bin idea, if I live in a area that gets up to 100-103 in the area I live. Would that be to hot for them outside?

You'd definitely want to keep it in the shade. I have mine in the shade. I have read of folks with worm farms in hotter climates who keep an old rug or sack over it in summer which they wet to bring the temperature down, or put a frozen bottle of water wrapped in newspaper/cloth in one part of the worm farm and then the worms can choose where they want to be if they need to cool off or hang out in the warmer end.

Ahh okay for sure I see now, damn online knowledge lol. And I’ll be using red wrigglers and European Earthworm. But my European’s are going in the raise beds outside.

I have both in our vermi bins. The earth worms and the wigglers dine a little different. The red wigglers are top dwellers and the night crawlers dig deeper and can eat greens but are slower metabolism.

I'd add a few wigglers to the raised beds. They both get a long great.

On the temp question... yeah that's pretty hot. I lived in philly where the summer days are routinely hotter than a mofo and humid too. Black bins too. But thats not a worm farm like you're using.

Back
Top Bottom