Watering with a small submersible pump an option?

mkono87

Now that I have a scrog net up im looking for ways to way my watering. I use a 5gal bucket to mix my feed and before just used a watering can. I have seen those small pumps I can just drop in the 5gal and attach a hose but my questions is, how well would it work to put a shutoff valve or even a shower garden sprayer on the hose so I dont make a mess of the floor from pot to pot. Im guessing these pumps are only made for continuous water flow? Im wanting to be able to flood the top of the soil then stop wait and repeat.

If you guys have other solutions id love to hear it. Im working with 3 5gal pots in a 4x4.

You can use a small shutoff valve. It's not great for the pump but these impeller type pumps will just spin in stagnet water. Parastaltic/positive displacement pumps are a different story. Those you will hurt by cutting off.

The other option is to use a 3 way valve and when you cut the output it just recirculates it back into the bucket and not out the hose.

I use these pumps all the time for water transfer and circulation.

I put my pump in a cooler with a make shift hose with a "watering wand" on it. I love it for watering under the scrog.
20191025_180327.jpg
20191025_180338.jpg
20191025_180420.jpg

I put my pump in a cooler with a make shift hose with a "watering wand" on it. I love it for watering under the scrog.
Thats awesome! So you basically have something like this then?

id def go that route. What did you use for the hose?

You can use a small shutoff valve. It's not great for the pump but these impeller type pumps will just spin in stagnet water. Parastaltic/positive displacement pumps are a different story. Those you will hurt by cutting off.

The other option is to use a 3 way valve and when you cut the output it just recirculates it back into the bucket and not out the hose.

I use these pumps all the time for water transfer and circulation.
Okay thats good to know that I wouldnt do much damage to the pump. Il keep an eye on which one im buying.

Thats awesome! So you basically have something like this then?

id def go that route. What did you use for the hose?

Okay thats good to know that I wouldnt do much damage to the pump. Il keep an eye on which one im buying.
yeah that's exactly the pump it is lol. i used 1/2 inch tubing from the cooler, then attached that to 3' of 1/2 pex. it really makes watering easy. little tubing at the end for the spout. it's plugged into a power bar with a switch.

yeah that's exactly the pump it is lol. i used 1/2 inch tubing from the cooler, then attached that to 3' of 1/2 pex. it really makes watering easy. little tubing at the end for the spout. it's plugged into a power bar with a switch.
Great thanks. Both pump and shut off valve is cheap on amazon and I think I may have some left over pex from finishing the basement.

Great thanks. Both pump and shut off valve is cheap on amazon and I think I may have some left over pex from finishing the basement.
the weight is there because i don't trust that little drain hole with 10 gallons of solution in the cooler lol

Back
Top Bottom