Weed Wars TV Show Explores the Fascinating World of Medical Cannabis This December

Founder
As the federal attack on the medical cannabis industry in California continues at an accelerated pace, television audiences with be able to watch part of the drama unfold on the Discovery Channel's new weekly series, "Weed Wars." This is the first reality program to give viewers an up-close-and-personal look at the controversial medicinal cannabis industry. It premieres in its 10 pm Thursday night spot on December 1, 2011.

"Weed Wars" focuses on Oakland's Harborside Health Center–the nation's largest medicinal cannabis dispensary, serving over 94,000 patients–and the leadership behind Harborside–activist, founder and Executive Director Steve DeAngelo. DeAngelo's lifelong mission has been to bring the truth about the cannabis plant to the American public.

DeAngelo launched Harborside five years ago with the goal of establishing industry best practices for medical cannabis distribution. The Oakland medical cannabis club's model has subsequently become the gold standard for medical cannabis dispensaries in the country.

DeAngelo is going out on a limb to educate the public. As the show was preparing for its debut, multiple federal agencies took increased action in an attempt to shut down the regulated cannabis industry in California.

"I always knew doing the show was risky, and the federal crackdown makes it ever riskier," said DeAngelo. "I agreed to take the risk because I believe the American people will support us once they see how we handle the medicine and care for our patients."

The series takes viewers on an up-close-and-personal exploration of the hot-button issue of medical cannabis, following the DeAngelo family (brother Andrew DeAngelo, fiancé Yoli Felix and others) and Harborside's staff as they fearlessly wrestle with the complex issues they face every day. The series accurately captures the real life drama and high stakes of the business as federal agencies make increasingly harsher threats and IRS audits attempt to shut down the Oakland cannabis club.

At first blush, "Weed Wars" is a familiar story: a start-up business with demanding clients and the ever-looming possibility that it could all go belly up. But this is not your typical business. When California voters passed the Compassionate Use Act in 1996, medicinal cannabis was legalized within the state. This ignited a national firestorm and opened new doors for a whole new kind of entrepreneur.

In addition to focusing on Steve DeAngelo, his family and the staff, "Weed Wars" follows the journey of the plant itself from seed germination to harvesting. Audiences will meet the growers and "patient farmers" whose job it is to provide the "medicine" that will be eventually purchased and used by thousands of clients, many of whom feel their lives have been forever changed by the plant.

About Harborside Health Center:
Founded by national cannabis leader Steve DeAngelo in 2005, Harborside Health Center is the nation's largest not-for-profit model medical cannabis dispensary. The Oakland medicinal cannabis collective offers its 94,000 registered patients free holistic health services, lab-tested medicine and education.

Weed Wars Promo - YouTube

gI_62398_weed_wars.JPG

Source: ‘Weed Wars†TV Show Explores the Fascinating World of Medical Cannabis This December on the Discovery Channel

Re: 'Weed Wars' TV Show Explores the Fascinating World of Medical Cannabis This Decem

This will be the first reality show i'll watch!!!!

Re: 'Weed Wars' TV Show Explores the Fascinating World of Medical Cannabis This Decem

i just hope discovery channel stays for the people and tell the TRUTH about whats happining . what the fed's are doing is TOTALLY UNCONSTITUTIONAL! any more the papers and media print every thing thier TOLD by this facist government. ill bet it will be a one sided show,THIER WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!!

Steve DeAngelo (the "star" of the show) has been an activist for four decades and owns the largest dispensary in the U.S. I seriously doubt he would open his business up to worldwide scrutiny if he thought for a second the Discovery Channel would portray the industry, and therefore his own dispensary, in a negative fashion. It also wouldn't make a lot of sense to create a series that attacked the industry because the audience would not be interested on a weekly basis, they would watch five minutes of it and say "yep, it's bad" and turn the channel back to "Dancing With The Stars". If you take "Whale Wars" as an example, the people advocating to stop the killing of whales and environmentalist are their primary audience, not the Japanese who eat the whale meat.

I was concerned about this new TV series that will air on 12/01/11. It is good to know that it will be educational and unbiased. The greatest weapon against medical cannabis is fear and ignorance. Once the people slowly get educated, I believe most will eventually accept cannabis as the miracle medicine it actually is. I highly (no pun attended) recommend it for the disease Fibromyalgia.

thank's for the info budbro ill definately tune in!:peace:

Since everything is calculated I wonder what is the governments angle but then sativex approval is probably just around the corner and big pharma will be there to let us they are here to help us.

Re: Weed Wars TV Show Explores the Fascinating World of Medical Cannabis This Decembe

I'm glad to see this show airing. The more that the general public learns about marijuana the more likely full legalization will occur. It is less than one year from our next election so something better happen then, otherwise it looks like it will be at least four more years of prohibition.
Medical marijuana is NOT the answer! Once medical marijuana is fully accepted by a majority of voters, it will only be accessible through big pharmacy companies who will have synthesized the active ingredients into pill form.
Hopefully this program will show people that we are not reefer madness maniacs and that government intervention in our personal lives is not only undesireable but unnecessary.
We need full legalization of marijuana for anybody over 18, period!

Re: Weed Wars TV Show Explores the Fascinating World of Medical Cannabis This Decembe

Sorry, I got a little off topic

It was definitely a major letdown. I had to force myself to watch the whole show.Instead of showing more marijuana activism and defining what the whole mmj program is all about it portrayed the DeAngelo family as a bunch of stoners just making money off the California Med Marijuana law. It was like every time they had a little stress, they had to 'medicate' themselves. It's really hard to take a progam seriously when it looks like the stars are just looking for an excuse to take a bong hit.I wonder what they give themselves for salries? $21,000,000.00 gross annually covers a lot of overhead.

They are non profit. They said that 400 times. Everything they make goes into free services/events for patients. That is why they couldn't come up with the 1.2 mil in taxes. They are not multi millionaires.

Yes they are a non profit. I get that. But you are wrong....everything AFTER overhead, WHICH INCLUDES THEIR SALARIES! goes into free service/events. I just wonder how much they pay themselves as $21,000,000 a year covers a lot of overhead.
In an interview the other night, that question was asked of Steve DeAngelo and he related that they did not disclose personal salries.

I think if they want credibility,this is an issue that should be disclosed.

And 420farmer, my question to you directly is, Are you priveledged to the DeAngelos personal finances? If not, how would you know they are or are not multi millionaires.

Well I kinda assumed they weren't millionaires if between all of them they couldn't come up with one million dollars. In all honesty they deserve to be millionaires. Anyone who has a business serving 94,000 clients would be rich. They are successful business owners lol

I have no problem with the amount of money they make. More power to them. Hell, I'm a capitalist and I have my own business also.

We do not know if the DeAngelos could come up with the money out of their personal accounts.

I just think a non-profit should have all it's books open, to include a employees and owners salries.

In business, the first thing you do is try to have the business pay the expenses. In your own business you try everything to pay your bills and if all else fails, you dip into your personal accounts. I have faith that the DeAngelos will come out smelling like a rose(my speculation). Otherwise the show would be cancelled.

I absolutely agree that their earnings and personal salaries should be public. If they are getting rich, it would be completely acceptable. They probably are only hiding the amount of money they make personally because they feel as tho the general public would frown upon them profiting so much over a contraversal medication. Is budwiesers CEO rich? Are pharma company CEOs rich? Are Tabacco company's CEOs rich? Absolutely. And no one frowns at that! They should not feel the need to be ashamed if they are rich. They deserve it 100 percent for what they have accomplished.

I have faith that the DeAngelos will come out smelling like a rose(my speculation).

The drama continues well past what has been taped for shows. That 1.1mill was just the start of their problems. The IRS is now asking (asking?lol) for 2.5mill.

What I don't get is what the feds are doing right this minute makes no sense. Why threaten landlords and bill crazy taxes if you can just waltz in with heavy armor, take the meds and the money.

I am not so optimistic they come out smelling like a rose, but I am hopeful.

First off, I think that all non-profit organiztions in this country should be totally transparent with all their financial dealings. I don't think it needs to be advertised but the information should be available if asked.I'm suprised the feds have not raided Harborside yet. Perhaps Obama still thinks he can win California and is using the IRS to avoid the huge publicity it would generate.
We won't know if the DeAngelos have the money to pay any of these taxes because we don't know how much they are paying themselves in salary.Harborside may not make but I am willing to bet that they(DeAngelo's) have enough money socked away that they will come out smelling like a rose.

Cannabis is still a schedule 1 drug as far as the feds are concerned with no medical value so they can bust Harborside at will. They say that since cannabis is illegal, Harborside is illegal along with all the proceeds garnared from that business, so the income derived is subject to taxation.*By doing this TV show the DeAngelos have basically offered themselves up as sacrificial lambs to the feds to get the good publicity we so desprately need.Unfortunately, in my opinion they fell short with this program.

Lest anybody gets the wrong idea, I fully support the DeAngelos and I commend their daring and willingness to accept the consequenses of their actions I truly hope they continue with their success.

And unlike tabaccos CEOs, they aren't killing millions of people annually. My 2 cents.

Tabacco CEO's are not killing anybody.They offer a well defined dangerous product for sale. If a person still wants to smoke it is their choice. If a person chooses to use tobacco and gets cancer or some other horrible disease it's not the CEO's fault, it's the consumers fault, period.

But to get back on topic....The show Weed Wars was a big let down. I was expecting something more along the lines of a show actually helping people and promoting the safe and effective uses of cannabis. They did kind of portray this but a person had to be looking for it and also understand some of the jargon we use. What a person who is not involved with or doesn't understand anything about cannabis sees is a group of people who look and act a just like the stereotype they always pictured marijuana users to act like. They look like they a just looking for any excuse to light up a bong on national tv.

*I can't understand how the IRS can tax an illegal (in their eyes and by fed law) business while allowing it to operate asmif it were legal.

Yes they are a non profit. I get that. But you are wrong....everything AFTER overhead, WHICH INCLUDES THEIR SALARIES! goes into free service/events. I just wonder how much they pay themselves as $21,000,000 a year covers a lot of overhead.
In an interview the other night, that question was asked of Steve DeAngelo and he related that they did not disclose personal salries.

Good point that non-profit entities still have paid - and in many cases, paid VERY well - principles/employees. Many people don't understand that and apparently think that the owners and employees of a non-profit entity are volunteers. That is not the case. It just means that they meet the qualifications for non-profit status - and they could conceivably pay $10million dollar salaries, lol.

+REPs!

First off, I think that all non-profit organiztions in this country should be totally transparent with all their financial dealings. I don't think it needs to be advertised but the information should be available if asked.

:thumb:

Tabacco CEO's are not killing anybody.They offer a well defined dangerous product for sale. If a person still wants to smoke it is their choice. If a person chooses to use tobacco and gets cancer or some other horrible disease it's not the CEO's fault, it's the consumers fault, period.

Other than the fact that they've historically fought fang and claw against every single health warning, that they learned LONG before such were required that they had a dangerous product and kept the information private, that they have been caught making efforts to make their products even more addictive than they naturally were, that they have marketed their product with cutesy cartoon icons and the like that were designed to catch the eye and garner the business of kids and other groups who might be hard-wired to not believe any warnings about a product that are given to them by people who use those products themselves (or who just tend to do whatever their elders tell them not to), the fact that - again, historically - whenever they've been sued and found themselves unable to quash the suits, they've used delaying tactics until the plaintiffs died, and that if you write them and explain that you started smoking at an early age when you honestly didn't know any better and have found yourself unable to permanently quit regardless of the means you tried and that you'd like some help... that you receive a form-letter that politely tells you to go fuck yourself?

I have heard tobacco companies compared to ammo manufacturers, which I never really understood since the vast majority of lifelong tobacco users die either directly or indirectly from a tobacco-related illness, whereas the number of firearms users who have died from a gunshot wound has been rather insignificant.

*I can't understand how the IRS can tax an illegal (in their eyes and by fed law) business while allowing it to operate asmif it were legal.

They used the IRS angle to nail Al Capone when nothing else worked. It worked very well indeed. Of course, his situation wasn't the same as DeAngelo's - although Capone was also involved in the business of supplying a product that the government felt to be illegal/verboten, managed to do very well for himself in the process, and still managed to make enough charitable contributions that one of his nicknames was the "modern-day Robin Hood," lol. But obviously this goes to show that DeAngelo isn't the first person that the government has used the IRS to go after when other means either weren't working or were found to be more trouble than they were worth.

Back
Top Bottom