What causes pH to rise quickly?

JD Green

I have a cheese plant in DWC, I use distilled water and Advanced Nutes, I have 3 other strains on the go with no issues. The ph has been high 6.5-7 since it turned to flower. I didn't want to ph it down because I burnt my last cheese plant leaves from doing that so I let it ride for a few days. Yesterday I ph it down to 5.48 and in 4 hours it was at 6.8. Not really sure wtf is going on, I put new air stones in, didn't solve anything. The plant is eating and drinking like a champion. Thanks for your comments in advance.

20210216_114200.jpg

I have a cheese plant in DWC, I use distilled water and Advanced Nutes, I have 3 other strains on the go with no issues. The ph has been high 6.5-7 since it turned to flower. I didn't want to ph it down because I burnt my last cheese plant leaves from doing that so I let it ride for a few days. Yesterday I ph it down to 5.48 and in 4 hours it was at 6.8. Not really sure wtf is going on, I put new air stones in, didn't solve anything. The plant is eating and drinking like a champion. Thanks for your comments in advance.

20210216_114200.jpg
Hey Driller beautiful girl you have there. I see nobody has answered your question. I'm not able to help im in coco, but I know a very knowledgeable gentleman that might know exactly what's happening. Hey @GoogleGenie
Do you have any theories about what's going on .

Thanks for the tag @Bill284

Welcome @Drillerjoe. Beautiful ladies you have there!

Can you tell me what the EC/PPM has been like, has that been rising/falling/staying the same? And I assume the water level is dropping?

Also, what is the air quality like that is coming in through the air pump?

@GoogleGenie The plant has been drinking 4l of h2o in 24 hrs, the ppm has been going down, by all aspects the plant looks good, is drinking and feeding. Last night I opened up the end of the tote to look at the air stone, it was good, I had added a second airstone 4 days ago thinking that was the issue but nothing changed. I also ph it down to 5.5 last night around 9 pm, this morning at 9 am the ph was 7.0 and for the first time the ppm was up. I just added 2 liters of h2o, will wait a bit and get a reading then check again in 4 hours, if still going up I will do an oil change on it. I should have just left the ph at 6.8 because it does not have any apparent issues other than the ph, it looks good, it was feeding and drinking. Also before anyone asks, I am using a quality ph meter and checked it the other night and it was bang on, even the cheap one was on so the meter is not the issue. The air pump is in the grow room, humidity is 30% temp 75-77F the fan is off for 60 seconds and on for 2.5 min and draws in fresh air, it runs off of my temp meter.

@GoogleGenie The plant has been drinking 4l of h2o in 24 hrs, the ppm has been going down, by all aspects the plant looks good, is drinking and feeding. Last night I opened up the end of the tote to look at the air stone, it was good, I had added a second airstone 4 days ago thinking that was the issue but nothing changed. I also ph it down to 5.5 last night around 9 pm, this morning at 9 am the ph was 7.0 and for the first time the ppm was up. I just added 2 liters of h2o, will wait a bit and get a reading then check again in 4 hours, if still going up I will do an oil change on it. I should have just left the ph at 6.8 because it does not have any apparent issues other than the ph, it looks good, it was feeding and drinking. Also before anyone asks, I am using a quality ph meter and checked it the other night and it was bang on, even the cheap one was on so the meter is not the issue. The air pump is in the grow room, humidity is 30% temp 75-77F the fan is off for 60 seconds and on for 2.5 min and draws in fresh air, it runs off of my temp meter.
It doesnt sound like you have a problem to me man :thumb: If anything it sounds like the girls are hungry and maybe you should actually bump the strength of your solution up a bit. The EC/PPM going down and PH up would suggest the nutrient strength isn't strong enough. These girls are hungry! This is an excellent place to be.

But if you are happy to keep on top of PH you may not even need to make changes. But i feel like they are telling you they are hungry? Does this make sense?

What is the EC/PPM of you nutrient solution when you feed, and how much does it drop?

It doesnt sound like you have a problem to me man :thumb: If anything it sounds like the girls are hungry and maybe you should actually bump the strength of your solution up a bit. The EC/PPM going down and PH up would suggest the nutrient strength isn't strong enough. These girls are hungry! This is an excellent place to be.

But if you are happy to keep on top of PH you may not even need to make changes. But i feel like they are telling you they are hungry? Does this make sense?

What is the EC/PPM of you nutrient solution when you feed, and how much does it drop?
LMAO, I said that the other day somewhere on here, that they was probably starving, lol. I took it to 900 ppm when I changed oil last time, 5 days ago, the ph gradually rose thru the day and the ppm rose as well, that night when I tucked them in, I gave 2 l of h2o, when I checked the next morning the ph was 6.8 and the ppm was falling again thru the last 4 days. 2 days ago I bumped it back up to 800 ppm and it fed till I ph it last night. I think your right and I will mix up a batch and change some oil, lol.

LMAO, I said that the other day somewhere on here, that they was probably starving, lol. I took it to 900 ppm when I changed oil last time, 5 days ago, the ph gradually rose thru the day and the ppm rose as well, that night when I tucked them in, I gave 2 l of h2o, when I checked the next morning the ph was 6.8 and the ppm was falling again thru the last 4 days. 2 days ago I bumped it back up to 800 ppm and it fed till I ph it last night. I think your right and I will mix up a batch and change some oil, lol.
GG knows his stuff and I'm sure will be an asset for you going forward. Happy growing friend.

:high-five:

Keep doing what you're doing my friend. Keep on top of your PH and EC to understand what your girl is telling you, and you can't go wrong. When you eventually end up in a place where the EC is stable (or falling slightly) and PH is stable(or rising slightly) and the water level is dropping nicely - you know you have found the sweet spot. I'm fortunate enough to be in that place in my current journal. The PH Up dance isn't too bad, it's the PH Down dance that drives me crazy haha

:peace:

Thanks for all your info, its funny, I grew 2 cheese, plants over the last year and both did the same, I burnt the first one to death but was a QP of good smoke. All the other plants, I never had issues with, just the UK Cheese and Canuk cheese but wicked root mass. the pic was from the first cheese grown in a 20 liter pail with 12 liters of of fluid at the start, at the end it would only take 5 liters to fill it. This one is in a tote huge root mass already , so yup she's hungry. Thanks for all the help guys. Happy growing and stay safe in these crazy times.

20200801_152149.jpg

Thanks for all your info, its funny, I grew 2 cheese, plants over the last year and both did the same, I burnt the first one to death but was a QP of good smoke. All the other plants, I never had issues with, just the UK Cheese and Canuk cheese but wicked root mass. the pic was from the first cheese grown in a 20 liter pail with 12 liters of of fluid at the start, at the end it would only take 5 liters to fill it. This one is in a tote huge root mass already , so yup she's hungry. Thanks for all the help guys. Happy growing and stay safe in these crazy times.

20200801_152149.jpg
Wow it looks bigger than my mop head. Nice work my friend.

20200801_152149.jpg
I've grown a few cheese in the past and i agree they are heavy feeders.

Lovely root mass. I grow RDWC and have a profound appreciation for good roots. Feel free to drop by and say hey :welcome:

And thanks for the kind words - stay safe my friend :peace:

Back
Top Bottom