What color buckets can use?

Timbo57

Hey guys, looking to take a plunge into RDWC and was wondering if i could use orange buckets for my plants? Any advice appreciated.

Hey Timbo, yes you can use any color but you will run afoul if buckets are not adequately blacked out. Black buckets are preferred but if all you’ve got is orange then wrap them in foil and or duct tape. Weed roots love air but not exposure to light.

im dirt farmer mostly but saw your query and wanted to jump in.

here link to Rexers journal below, he’s running “the bucket company” gear doing recirc, really cool stuff. Yes sir I believe all your hoses and pipes should be black too. Light on water breeds algae & other nasties... link to rexers >>>> Rexers house of green

Hey Timbo, yes you can use any color but you will run afoul if buckets are not adequately blacked out. Black buckets are preferred but if all you’ve got is orange then wrap them in foil and or duct tape. Weed roots love air but not exposure to light.

here link to Rexers journal below, he’s running “the bucket company” gear doing recirc, really cool stuff. Yes sir I believe all your hoses and pipes should be black too. Light on water breeds algae & other nasties... link to rexers >>>> Rexers house of green
Thank you very much for your reply, dirt farmer here also. Looking to learn a few things before trying RDWC. I have ran coco before with great results. Going to read Rexers house of green.

Hey guys, looking to take a plunge into RDWC and was wondering if i could use orange buckets for my plants? Any advice appreciated.

I just ordered a 10 pack of black buckets from the same place that sells the orange ones ;). Didn't cost that much more. I originally bought a few orange ones and spray painted them black. The paint, even though they say it will work on plastic, does not adhere well and will scratch off quite easily. By the time you figure in the cost of an orange bucket, and the cost of paint, the black ones are cheaper.

if you have the buckets already, spray glue & tinfoil works pretty well, as mentioned better than paint
Also, better at reflecting the light

I have always heard that you should use black buckets but I just purchased a "professional" system that has silver/grey buckets. I think I'm going to shoot them an email and see what they say. I'll post back their response if/when i get it.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 10.18.02 PM.png

I used white buckets and painted them black on my flood and drain system controlled via a bell syphon.
Link here if you want a look

Back
Top Bottom