What did I do wrong with my clones?

Hackk

Ok, so I'll admit, this was my first time attempting clones. I read and reread every how to manual I can find, and felt I had it locked in. So here's the story, Ill be honest in admitting I messed up on a few things, but lets figure this out together, and how to remedy it.

Rock wool mini cubes- soaked in 5.0ph water with root accelerator
humidity dome- sprayed whenever dry, vents closed
Mother- "the cheese" starved and then fed with a high flower (low nitro) fert hours before
Clippings- base of the plant. small stems, maybe 3inches long and the width of a normal toothpick
tools- sterile medical blade, and clonex gel
Lights- originally under 6 cfls that another mother is sitting under, maybe 2 1/2 feet away. Now moved under a small 12inch floro, under the sink to maybe control warmer temps
temps- between 80 and 90f, NO heating pad
SEVEN DAYS SO FAR AND NOTHING

After taking the clippings at a 45degree angle, quickly "filleted" the outer skin towards the cut and dipped in clonex, then immediately into the cubes. Lightly pressing the stems into the hole. *** this is where I feel I went wrong*** the stems were just loose in the holes. since they are toothpick size, and the hole is chopstick size it must have allowed air or light. I lifted the tray last night to empty excess water and I noticed the stems just bounced around in the holes, I applied slight lift and they ALL lifted out without a problem (I know this was probably another big no no) No signs of roots NOTHING just maybe a very slight appearance of white frosting/scabbing along the shaved area of the skin, but nothing off the cut portion itself. The clones look healthy and perky while the dome is on and humid, but droop almost to death once the lid is opened for longer than 30 minutes.

After I see all this, I put them back in (I wanted to add more clonex, but didnt) and pinched the hole opening to close it onto the stem the best I could. Then I went to sleep stressed out and upset. I have to dial in this process within the week for a new perpetual setup I have going with og kush strain... the cheese is for practice, and other strain options in the future.

Thank you in advance. I would post pictures, but Im at work right now

The dome is necessary to keep the humidity up which keeps your clones healthy. How long did you give your clones to root? What kind of clones where they veg clones or flowering clones?

veg clones, the mother is now in flowering.

Its been 7 days. I know I may be premature in my stress, but after they basically fell out of the rockwool with not even a hair of a root, I now begin to worry. I want to try to save these babies, or else Im gonna have to take a few more clippings off a flowering mother

No pics at the moment, but still green and unchanged. No wilting unless the dome is removed...

And I'd agree with the messing with them too much to this point, but having never messed with them up until the 7th day... dont you think there should have been atleast a little root develpment?

Thanks Ms. Fox

Anyone else have opinions?

Next time forget the root excellerator. That is already in the cloning gel and you don't need a double dose of it. Instead soak the cubes in a half strength flowering solution ph'd to 5 overnight. When you planted you might want to try for bigger stems or wait longer. Toothpick sized stems means super small clones. Also when you planted them into the rockwool you should have been able to push the stem further through the holes. There is a layer of rockwool in the bottom of the cube. You could also make your own hole with a toothpick next to the original holes.
As long as the clones are green and perky they are alive and have a chance to root. Quit messing with them and give them another week. Also don't keep them so moist. The idea to cloning is to make the plant grow roots to get moisture. not supply every drop it needs.
I don't use humidity domes. i harden my clones up from the second they are cut. Here's what you see when i clone.

camera_dump_11_17_06_085.jpg

camera_dump_11_17_06_084.jpg

I think I've come to the realization that the cloning process is hurtful to my mood.

Im just gonna leave um alone now, and hope everything works out. These clones were/are just test samples for my other strain that I plan on cutting in a day or so. If these current clones root, Ill make um mothers or give um to friends.

By the way, does anyone have a GOOD link or info on taking cuttings to maximize node regrowth? My main mother is almost 3 feet tall, and after examining the cutting locations over and over again, Im VERY fearful that I'll rape her for nodes. I want to keep her on a monthly trimming cycle, and I need 16 successful clones each time for now. I fimmed her almost 2 weeks ago, and they are finally growing back, but If I cut those clippings I would be eliminating 4 growths for 1 clone, and I dont want to do that...

I know where and what to cut for a clone, I just would like some experienced advice on what exactly to cut so the mother doesnt look like a skeleton that wont grow back once Im done

You could brake off about $150 and get a small clone mach. 5 days and roots are hanging, plus the mach. make a soothing sound might help you sleep better. That's what the price of a quart? All the above replies above are correct. It all take practice and patience. Some strains clone faster than others. Cuttings need a reason to root and if its too comfortable they will just sit and wait to rot. Good Luck It'll Come..

Back
Top Bottom