What kind of pest is this? Should I be worried?

ptk2k

i’ve noticed these guys on each of my plants, not a crazy number of them, but they’re there.

they seem to like hanging out on stalks, and are hard to get off the plant! they run around the stalk, almost like a squirrel, making it hard to squash them. some do fly away if i make contact with them.

I spray neem & spinosad alternating every week..

I don’t see damage to the plant other than some grasshopper damage every here and there.

any info is appreciated!

7F29E194-C49A-470F-B09A-DC2711EEDF9B.jpeg
79E19334-0AFE-482D-BC92-49243789521D.jpeg

It looks to me like a leaf hopper, aka tree hopper, but it’s not really clear from the pic. Could also be a moth I suppose as Blew said.
There’s a billion kinds of tree hoppers. Most won’t bother you. Some will suck juices from the plants, leaving white dots on the leaves. My friend did have swarms of them on his outdoor plants and the plants weren’t too happy about it.
My advice is just wait and see, and if there’s no damage to the plants then don’t worry about them. If it’s not causing damage then it’s not a pest.

It looks to me like a leaf hopper, aka tree hopper, but it’s not really clear from the pic. Could also be a moth I suppose as Blew said.
There’s a billion kinds of tree hoppers. Most won’t bother you. Some will suck juices from the plants, leaving white dots on the leaves. My friend did have swarms of them on his outdoor plants and the plants weren’t too happy about it.
My advice is just wait and see, and if there’s no damage to the plants then don’t worry about them. If it’s not causing damage then it’s not a pest.

after researching leafhoppers & treehoppers, i believe you’re right. i’m gonna crank the spinosad & neem treatments up a notch and hopefully they’ll disappear! i have noticed very, very minimal “dots” appearing, not as small as a spider mite marks but not as large as the marks shown in most photos i’ve seen of leafhopper damage while researching. same pattern though, small batches of dots here and there, never more than a few blades on a leaf.

thanks for the insight!

My vote is horse or some other fly look at the transparency on the wings. I have weird white dots under sides of my leaves also & was thinking SM but I have not seen any creepy crawlies. I now wonder if it isn't a spore from the additive I am using in my coco to create healthy root zones. Sorry forgot the name of it.

Back
Top Bottom