Rubbing alcohol OK for cannabis?

ptk2k

I have 10 ladies in 5 gal buckets outside and they all seem to have thrips. this has been going on for a few weeks. i’ve used a bunch of neem, some captain jacks spinosad and a bunch of essential oils to try and get rid of them. these definitely keep numbers down and i don’t notice nearly as much their damage, if not any, i just see them every time i search a plant form them.

someone suggested a mix of 1:9 rubbing alcohol to water, other people have suggested 1:3.. etc..

they are month 2 of veg.

any info is greatly appreciated.

I have 10 ladies in 5 gal buckets outside and they all seem to have thrips. this has been going on for a few weeks. i’ve used a bunch of neem, some captain jacks spinosad and a bunch of essential oils to try and get rid of them. these definitely keep numbers down and i don’t notice nearly as much their damage, if not any, i just see them every time i search a plant form them.

someone suggested a mix of 1:9 rubbing alcohol to water, other people have suggested 1:3.. etc..

they are month 2 of veg.

any info is greatly appreciated.
I haven't had any that made it past a few neem treatments. Thrips can be a pain! Do you brush em off with your finger when you see em? How many cycles of neem did you try?
I was pretty successful clearing up 5 plants that had it bad; by just brushing/picking them off and 3-4 neem treatments over about a month.

-P:ganjamon:

I haven't had any that made it past a few neem treatments. Thrips can be a pain! Do you brush em off with your finger when you see em? How many cycles of neem did you try?
I was pretty successful clearing up 5 plants that had it bad; by just brushing/picking them off and 3-4 neem treatments over about a month.

-P:ganjamon:

Thanks for your interest, I’ve been through 3 neem treatments and 1 spinosad treatment in the past 3-4 weeks. Every time i see them i either blow them off or try and pick/pinch them off. it’s hard though with how how small they are.. i don’t want to damage branches or leaves in the process. i have noticed dead thrips on leaves or branches days after treatments, i’m just trying to get this over with. and i really don’t want all this time put into these plants going to waste! i live in a valley in southern colorado with many bugs.. so many grasshoppers... i need the best protection possible! willing to try anything as long as it doesn’t kill my ladies

Thanks for your interest, I’ve been through 3 neem treatments and 1 spinosad treatment in the past 3-4 weeks. Every time i see them i either blow them off or try and pick/pinch them off. it’s hard though with how how small they are.. i don’t want to damage branches or leaves in the process. i have noticed dead thrips on leaves or branches days after treatments, i’m just trying to get this over with. and i really don’t want all this time put into these plants going to waste! i live in a valley in southern colorado with many bugs.. so many grasshoppers... i need the best protection possible! willing to try anything as long as it doesn’t kill my ladies
I don't know too much else to try for a foliar spray, but one thing that helped me pick em off is a tiny (soft) paintbrush. I stole one from my kid's art set and used it to brush off both live/dead thrips so I didn't have to handle my plants with these sausage fingers.

If you continue to see thrips after a bunch of treatments then you're probably only killing the adults. Neem or some type of insecticidal soap sprayed directly on your soil will get the larvae thus ending the life cycle. Normally you'll probably have to treat two or three times on the plant with neem, insecticidal soap or spinosad (Captain Jack's or something like that). I would suggest you also spray the soil with neem or insecticidal soap. Maybe a couple of doses.

I'm sure the plant will tolerate iso alcohol as I've used it on Jade plants for mealybugs.

If they weren't outside I'd suggest a little air blowing on the plants. Best of luck. :bongrip:

Alternating the Neem and Spinosad every two days seemed to work wonders! I still have the ladies on a steady regiment of both, soaking the soil as well. Now if I ever see a thrip, it’s already dead :)
980F9A2E-B057-4668-B543-B1896B6DDE38.jpeg

When I grew in soil I always top dressed with diatomaceous earth. It worked for fungus gnat larvae, then the adults either died of old age or tried to land and lay eggs and met their doom. I now use it on all of the possible entry points of my apartment.

I don't use anything heavy duty unless it is the Borg. Then I use anything I can find.

Back
Top Bottom