What kind of bug? Should I be worried?

ptk2k

hey all i was cleaning some dead / dying leaves off one of my ladies this morning and discovered some bastards under some of them.. they seem to be some sort of larvae, moving pretty slowly. there aren’t a ton but they’re there. should i be worried? what can i do? i have neem & spinosad but don’t want to spray her because she’s about halfway through flower..
7195A4BC-E8CA-4E42-B9A7-365BA9EB1FA0.jpeg

Attachments

• EA66DDB7-2411-4224-AF0F-7C623D7CA65F.jpeg
    EA66DDB7-2411-4224-AF0F-7C623D7CA65F.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 126
Looks like aphids, same thing my outdoor pepper plant is infested with. Sorry I am not more help, they've never gotten into my grow. Hopefully someone else will catch this with more experience with bugs.

Just aphid by the sounds of it a beginning of a larger colony :eek:

They just suck the sap out the leafs & poop it out like a sugar extract the ants love em...

It may appear ya out doors at a guess ?

Lady birds eat those little fcukers & you can buy em infact & might be some other predator insects which may like as well for chow.

Other wise we may have to look at chemical control OMG chemical on my weed ya in general a bad idea !

So washing up liquid may help mix up a solution with water & spray em, basically the washing up liquid covers the aphids with a thin membrane suffocating them to death rinse 'n' repeat.

Going back to predator insects you could plant other plants around if ya out doors which help encourage these other insects which eat those in your garden.

Looks like Aphids, all the things I have tried so far seems like buying Lady Bugs and/or Lacewings has worked the best, after a week it's hard to find any on the plant anymore as they eat those Aphids up like crazy.

Just aphid by the sounds of it a beginning of a larger colony :eek:

They just suck the sap out the leafs & poop it out like a sugar extract the ants love em...

It may appear ya out doors at a guess ?

Lady birds eat those little fcukers & you can buy em infact & might be some other predator insects which may like as well for chow.

Other wise we may have to look at chemical control OMG chemical on my weed ya in general a bad idea !

So washing up liquid may help mix up a solution with water & spray em, basically the washing up liquid covers the aphids with a thin membrane suffocating them to death rinse 'n' repeat.

Going back to predator insects you could plant other plants around if ya out doors which help encourage these other insects which eat those in your garden.

yes my plants are outdoors. a local grow store carries ladybugs, 1500 for $20.. i think i’ll do that. do you think they will be as effective outside? or do you think they’ll fly away?

Looks like Aphids, all the things I have tried so far seems like buying Lady Bugs and/or Lacewings has worked the best, after a week it's hard to find any on the plant anymore as they eat those Aphids up like crazy.

nice! i just found a grow store nearby that sells ladybugs.. i think i’ll do that

yes my plants are outdoors. a local grow store carries ladybugs, 1500 for $20.. i think i’ll do that. do you think they will be as effective outside? or do you think they’ll fly away?

The instructions say to release them just before dark, as they won't fly in the dark and gives them a chance to settle in so to speak. What I have read if there isn't a food supply they will find somewhere else to mate/lay eggs, if a food supply they will stick around until it is depleted. My outdoor girls it took a few weeks but now you only see the Lady bugs occasionally and have yet to see an aphid again (knock on wood) on my outdoor ones. Let some loose in my shed/indoor grow and it has knocked them down too, just they piggyback into the house on me is only problem with that ;) as the old lady don't like bugs at all :rofl:

The instructions say to release them just before dark, as they won't fly in the dark and gives them a chance to settle in so to speak. What I have read if there isn't a food supply they will find somewhere else to mate/lay eggs, if a food supply they will stick around until it is depleted. My outdoor girls it took a few weeks but now you only see the Lady bugs occasionally and have yet to see an aphid again (knock on wood) on my outdoor ones. Let some loose in my shed/indoor grow and it has knocked them down too, just they piggyback into the house on me is only problem with that ;) as the old lady don't like bugs at all :rofl:

my girl went and got 1,500 while i was at work and released them over all the 8 girls right before nightfall. let’s hope they work!
E78F3D0F-188C-4C8C-9FE5-4DBF38429D9F.jpeg

Indeed, ladybugs should work. Aphids tend to hit my roses in late spring. Then ladybugs show up & within a few days, there's no more aphids to be found.

Although aphids will occasionally get after some of my garden before the ladybugs clean 'em up, I've never had them do anything to my cannabis. But that might be because there's other plants around that they like better, like the roses.

alright guys. got some bad news and some not so bad news. not so bad news is that i took a bunch of leaves off every plant today to check for aphids and only found 5 or 6. only 2 leaves were infested from what i pulled. so i figure the ladybugs did some good work last night. bad news is almost all the ladybugs are gone now.. my girl put them out last night, i checked on the plants this morning, there were still a bunch of ladybugs all over each plant. came home from work 8 hours later and i see almost none... maybe 20 of the 1500 are still around.. pt. 2 of the bad news is that i found some thrips flying around while doing the cleaning.. didn’t see any yesterday.. like they came from nowhere. seems like outdoor is some serious stuff.. i feel like people like to think it’s easier than indoor (maybe because they ignore their pests haha) but so far it’s been more difficult for me.. due to pests and whatnot.. climate you cannot control... i used to only grow indoors and this is my first outdoor. so i guess you live ya learn. anyhow i’ve had thrips before and took care of them with neem and spinsosad- it worked. but again- they’re about 4 weeks into flower so i don’t wanna spray unless i HAVE TO (a mite situation or something.. knock on wood).... what would you guys do? buy more lady bugs? i watched a youtube video earlier about lady bugs in a cannabis environment and the guy was adiment about making sure there’s a breeding place & food for them, otherwise they’ll leave.. any experience here?

thx in advance

The lady bugs eggs look like little orange footballs and they usually lay them on the top (the larval stage eats even more than the lady bugs do from what I have read). Never dealt with thrips, so no idea if they will hit them, or how much damage the thrips can do that close to the end of flower. But I"m one of those rather not spray much of anything on them if they halfway thru flower, but that just me as to me science says: "this stuff is fine" and then a year or two later "oh that is bad stuff and bad for you don't use it ever", so one of them ;) dont' trust the science guys :rofl: .

Thrips are a nuisance, but unlikely to be a major threat & you're in the home stretch. I wouldn't spray at this point, either. Too close to harvest.

Spraying the plants with water can help...I've done it w/ success & I'm not the only one... 2percentmilk's 9 Strain Outdoor Garden 2018 - Reveg Potential

Just cuz the ladybugs aren't around, doesn't mean they didn't help (they probably left because they'd dealt w/ some of the problems & had no more aphids to eat). and they might come back.

I don't release ladybugs, but I do notice that they come & go & follow the food supply. That is, when there's bugs to eat, they show up...at least where I live.

Back
Top Bottom