What to do about my hps?

bluemode

Okay here is the deal. I just went to Home Depot. All they have is 100wt HPS that is run on a dusk to dawn timer. I am sure I can bypass that and make the light work for me but in every thread I have read I am seeing 400 HPS. Wow 400wts. I am trying to grow one plant at a time due to space and not drawing attention from visitors. I have grown in the past, to about a foot high using 2, 40wt cool florescents. But after they get that size the flor. seems to be well short of suffecient. I guess what I need to know is will 100wt HPS be enough for one plant. They also have 70 wt and 50 wt set-ups as well. I have gone through all of the light threads but need to know if this will work if not where do I have to go to get the right light? Thank you in advance.

:bong:

the timer is easy to by pass, I wont sit here and try to tell you because different manufacturers build them different than others..
Heres a trick tho...Tell the guy in the electrical department, you want to bypass the timer, so that you can control the light via a switch, and he will be able to help show you what to do, to be safe.
People dont mention the lower wattage lights here, because they dont usually make growing specific lights in those wattages.. The one your looking at is what they call a "wall pack" its made to illuminate parking lots, or entryway signage.. It will work, and as an added bonus, is usually weather proof, so if you have a spill, your light will be fine.
Buy it, if that is what you can afford, it should work fine.

waita minute dusk-dawn timer? your shure it's not a photocell? all you'd have to do is cover the cell and light would be on as long as it's covered!

100w might be fine if your grow space is no bigger than 1 square ft. That is the rule of thumb for growing, but I say try it, Ilove experiments!

100 watts, even in the right spectrum, is still not enough to adequetly flower the plants. As with the floros, the plants main cola's will stretch and the buds will be airy and light due to the lack of sufficient light. Also, I advise against growing a single plant because if it turns out to be male then all your time and effort is wasted.

Sounds like a easy project. I've bypassed a few of those dusk/dawn timers. Not for a grow room, but for outside use. For one plant you should be good with 100w, but it couldn't hurt to get two of em. Then put one on each side. You can always expand later if things permit. Good luck.

Seeing as four out of five say it will work I am going to try it. Home Depot has a 90 day return policy anyway. It takes about 90 days top grow so I should have nothing to lose but ne plant if it doesn't work out. Thank you for all of your input. I will post pictures on my website to show when they are ready. I am buying from "buy duth seeds" any problems with them as a seed store?

Back
Top Bottom