What to do with hermaphrodite?

Just rinse off the vegging plants, I wouldn't mess with the seeds. I'd cut everything now to be honest. It sucks seeing your work go down like that but it happens from time to time, its part of the hobby of gardening. Plants of all kinds get sic and die or can go a wry some how. Don't take it to heart, just use it as a learning experience.

so males only produce male seeds, and female only produce female seeds?

No.. not at all..Like us the males have pollen (like sperm) and females have the buds. If the buds get pollen on them at all they will go to seed. Females have seeds that could be either male or female. Hermaphrodites are plants with both male and female reproductive parts. When a hermaphrodite is fertilized by its own pollen the seeds will be 100% female.. Thats how it goes! :peacetwo:

No.. not at all..Like us the males have pollen (like sperm) and females have the buds. If the buds get pollen on them at all they will go to seed. Females have seeds that could be either male or female. Hermaphrodites are plants with both male and female reproductive parts. When a hermaphrodite is fertilized by its own pollen the seeds will be 100% female.. Thats how it goes! :peacetwo:

Yes....but will those seeds when planted be more prone to hermie if stressed then say a regular un-feminized. I do beleive that feminized will hermie easier.....is this info correct? someone clarify for me.

Cona

Most femenized seeds are susceptible to hermi traits in the genetics but if you pay good money for seeds they are stable for the most part. If you have issues with plants hermaphrodizing then you need to fix the reason why they are doing it not fix the genetics. If you get a stronger plant that does not hermi int he same conditions I assure you that it is still enduring the stress and therefore is not growing to its full potential.

Hey everyone... Im first time grower , ive seven plants which are in week 3 of flowering but ive notice that one plant is after growing some male sacks even tho
there is female flowers on it aswell.
My question is would the plant flower into buds if i simply cut off the few male sacks before they open?? Or would it be better to grow it away from the other pplants

Mate, Get it out now.If one of those sacks opens you will ruin the lot.Trust me.Been there on my first grow.

Cool thanks.... Its a pain in the ass tho because i was so sure they were all female... Agh well i suppose these thin:peace:gs happeno

Thanks for the info . I'm growing from femnized seeds for the 1st time . Regular seeds befor now .I was really woried about the hermies. Can you just remove the branch that has pollen sacks ? These 4 girls are California Dreamen and are the best I've ever grown. Glad I finaly bought some good seeds. Starting bud cycle this wk. Sure don't want to lose one.

Thanks for the info . I'm growing from femnized seeds for the 1st time . Regular seeds befor now .I was really woried about the hermies. Can you just remove the branch that has pollen sacks ? These 4 girls are California Dreamen and are the best I've ever grown. Glad I finaly bought some good seeds. Starting bud cycle this wk. Sure don't want to lose one.

Hey... I took my hermie out of my tent and moved it to another side of my property... I plucked off the actual pollen sacks before they opened and the plant is still ok, it is still producing nice buds.

OK so I have a question please. I have 3 beautiful ladies, 2 sativas and 1 beautiful indica. All were female when the flowering started. Today, I notice what looks like a cluster of grapes on one of the lower buds. I picked onne off and it contained a seed. The colas are all big and swollen, no signs of seeds on the top, harvest is any day. The other 2 plans look good, no seeds that I can see and no pollen in the air. WTF? seriously, how could this occur? I'm not sure what to do. I have been flushing for 12 days and I am in week 10 of 12/12. I'm baffled - keep going and harvest? If the others were going to seed, or any new seed pods were to grow, they would have by now, right?

a word of caution, i grew a variety called red dragon, and boy is it one weird strain, it produced a few seeds [ averaged about 10 per plant ]8 of which i then grew, they germinated within 24 hrs and grew very strongly ,at about 7 weeks i found seed developing and found the bannanas i killed that crop thinking i must have stressed the plants somehow and started again with the same seed, this time i made double sure that everthing was hunkie dorey. ie temps 28c top temp 19c lowest, humidity 55---75, strict 12/12 absolutly no light pollution, and fed exactly to manufacters instruction...... HOWEVER at 6 weeks into flower i noticed a yellow spot at the base of a bud upon inspection [i have a usb microscope ] found the deaded bannanas of doom, i went over the crop with a fine tooth comb and found 3 of my 8 plants had them.
fortunatly they where just starting to open. so i moved the affected plants to the front of the room [ fan is at the back] and removed all the pollen sacks i could find as they where all at the base of the buds i used a artists paint brush to wet the devloping budlets under the buds [ do not spray as any overspray could cause wet rot in your bud ] water kills pollen so if any of the budlets open and is a pollen sack the water should kill any pollen.
i repeated this twice dailly for 2 weeks and then cropped a week early, while cropping i found no sign of seed so fingers crossed i got it in time, will be able to say for sure when i have cured it and toked a few,
but be cautious about home produced seed , ask yourself why it seeded in the first place , if you stressed it in some way [ light pollution is the no1 cause ] then try the seed, if not then suspect the genetics and bin it
the other very weird thing with this strain is when i found the original seed in my bud, one fully developed seed was found at the base of the bud at least 4 to 5 weeks old to be that ripe and a seedlet just starting to develope near the top of the same small bud from a cola.
delayed action pollen ??, two goes at self pollenation ?? .
i suspect that this strain is pron to passing on the hermi gene, and they aint woth the bother

So can you just cover the hermi parts? maybe like put duct tape over it or something, like cut the male part and the bud off the node and cover it with duct tape? I just made myself a hemi with my light...the power reset and my timers got turned off ( which i didnt know happened) i corrected everything but the timer in the flower room i guess....and i found it out about 48-72 hours later im still finding out the results of it ( i turned the timer on and let it complete the 3 hours of dark that were left on the timer, there about to goto sleep at normal time now 10 pm-10am) im hopeing it turns out okay...like i said though there is one female i found, this is my first grow and i wasnt expecting it to turn out perfect anyway. I might want to get some seeds out of the deal though, i have a single flowering unit i made a few months back...i might stick it in that and see what it comes up with seed wise. So if the plant wont spread pollen that far,do you think it will be fine in a room by itself, next to my flower and veg room ( all 3 rooms have intake filters i replace every 3 months ) thanks guys!

so finally the truth! been tryin get straight answer to this Q on other forums n eitha get yep fem+fem=fem or dont touch hermies awe em!!!! was burstin my head as i like alot of amber in the harvest n ended up with heap super skunk seeds from hermi plant a really only noticed at very end of grow n happy if grew these all time smoke was great n seed to boot-need seed as got to give up my tnt room every year for few month prob for the better but you want some of the tidy smoke you had you gotta go get more seed and even rep breeders have various germ rates...various factors and cos cant grow out door space important, i also read somethin about rotten apples n that inflence the sex of cbis???? think must be that reverse wish had herd sooner! how much is it coz def worth buyin also note alot of growers seeem to report herms after adding boost early in flower, i think boost early on as desirable as it sounds jus stress on the plant to produce bud must make it think def no gettin it pollen??? or sumthin like that would explain correlation, i note it is only since i added boost more i have had so many hermies, think boost works but def later in flower....
my 2p worth:cheer: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

My blueberry just popped a few horns. I cut them down if they herme. You guys do what you like, but experience tells me the buds from hermes is all junk. Towards the end of flowering it will produce more and more male ball sacks out of all your nice colas. IMO the best practice is to burn it and replace it with a healthy female candidate. You guys thinking the seeds are good, probably don't know much about breeding. You can't just throw some plants together to breed take the seeds and have great pot. There's a long selection process and a lot of duds. Not to mention that the genes will pass on that make the plant herme from stress easier than other seeds will. I'm not telling anyone else how to do it, just my opinion.

into my 9th week just found a herm the bud is so big so I couldn't really notice it but now I see some small like seed opening I will leave
an update to how it tasted it is about 2 weeks before I have to take them down it just started 2 days ago so I will leave them and take my chances for a great out come ........

Being a relative newbie, I was on the lookout for any bugs, gnats, mold, overwatering, over feeding. Making sure the temperature stays below 79 degrees, dehumidifier and complete dark at night. No one ever told me about stress turning your plant into a transexual! I don't know what happened but it was exactly as Stix said..........I hope. I thought I got the hermie out, but when I harvested my Afghan........seeds. Not only nice seeds but those white seeds as well. So, I am going to harvest the last of the Afghans early and hopefully my purple power, O.G kush and gold leaf (that I put in the flower room later after I got rid of the hermie), won't have beed infected. Crappy genetics can do it as well. So, now I have daily counseling sessions so my plants avoid any stress. So, I have all these really good looking seeds. Are you saying they are good to use?

Back
Top Bottom