What's wrong?

V1cky

420 Member

This is my second grow.
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong but I think I'm slowly making it worse.
The yellowing seems to be starting out at the top and bottom.
I believe I had a iron defeciency but got it under control.
They are White Russian
Ph is 6.3
I was using a cheap water pitcher filter.
My water is very chlorinated. Now I'm using tap.
I'm using GO General Organics nutrients
The humidity is around 65 although throughout most of the vegging it was near 80 just because of the weather.
To adjust the pH, I'm using baking soda and citric acid.

My first grow went much smoother, but everything's changed
I'm still indoor but surprised by the difference caused by the different seasons. The humidity is much higher. In the winter it was 22% now it's 80% and up at times. The tap pH was 5, now it's 8.5 . Also I was using Fox Farm, now I'm using GO Organics.
Could you please help me out?

do You water the entire surface of soil when feeding them? Just going off that one picture, it looks like you have improper watering techniques, I apologize if you are doing it correctly and that’s the way it’s drying.

The other picture, how it’s yellow at the top of the plant, sort of looks like a zinc deficiency.

Solution For Cannabis Zinc Deficiency
Note: Sometimes a cannabis zinc deficiency (like all deficiencies) can be triggered by stressful conditions and may clear up on its own after the period of stress is over. However, to minimize damage it's important to react to any growing problem as quickly as possible, especially in the flowering stage.
1.) Adjust pH to Correct Range
The most common reason growers will see a zinc deficiency is when the pH at the roots is too high. Zinc tends to get locked at at higher pH levels, and is better absorbed by the plant in a more acidic root environment.
If you suspect your growing cannabis plant has a zinc deficiency due to too-high pH, flush your system with clean, pH'd water. This will remove any nutrient salts that may be affecting the uptake of zinc and help restore pH to the proper levels..
  • In soil, zinc is best absorbed by the roots in the 6.0 – 6.5 pH range (although it's generally recommended for soil growers to keep pH in the 6.0-7.0 range, zinc tends to be absorbed better on the lower side)
  • In hydro, zinc is best absorbed by the roots in the 5.5 – 6.0 pH range (although it's generally recommended for hydro growers to keep pH in the 5.5-6.5 range, zinc tends to be absorbed better on the lower side)

2.) Give the Right Nutrients
The truth is, most cannabis growers don't need to add more zinc in response to a zinc deficiency!
In fact, most growers have actually already given plenty of zinc to their cannabis plants since it is found abundantly in most tap water. If you're using quality soil or cannabis-friendly nutrients , you probably don't need to worry about adding more zinc. In general, zinc deficiencies are more likely to appear when a grower is using heavily filtered or reverse osmisis (RO) water to feed plants since any zinc has been removed, but pH is a much more common reason growers see zinc deficiencies in their cannabis plants.

3.) Take Good Care of the Roots
Zinc deficiencies can show up with the plant is having root problems or if the plant is overwatered, even if the pH is right and the zinc is there. Proper watering practices help plants grow healthy and avoid a host of problems!

4.) Watch for Recovery
After going through all the above steps, watch to make sure that the zinc deficiency starts to clear up within a few days to a week or so. The damaged leaves may not recover completely, but you know you're in the clear when you stop seeing symptoms on new leaves.

They actually don't look too bad. I'd say maybe just a bit of a nitrogen deficiency in the first pic. The drooping in the second pic looks like possible overwatering/underwatering.

I'd recommend pH Up instead of baking soda. I had a friend who lost all his plants a few years ago and he blames baking soda. Vinegar is very effective for lowering pH.

They actually don't look too bad. I'd say maybe just a bit of a nitrogen deficiency in the first pic. The drooping in the second pic looks like possible overwatering/underwatering.

I'd recommend pH Up instead of baking soda. I had a friend who lost all his plants a few years ago and he blames baking soda. Vinegar is very effective for lowering pH.
They weren't very droopy until I watered them. Then, I took the pictures.
With the baking soda, it takes a couple of minutes for the pH to settle. But maybe I can find some organic pH up. I hate the smell of vinegar.
Thank you very much

Typically when I've dealt with a zinc deficiency in the past I've seen a lot of wrinkling and contortion in the newer growth. I'm not seeing that in the pics.

do You water the entire surface of soil when feeding them? Just going off that one picture, it looks like you have improper watering techniques, I apologize if you are doing it correctly and that’s the way it’s drying.

The other picture, how it’s yellow at the top of the plant, sort of looks like a zinc deficiency.
I hadn't really thought about it. I just assumed that the water would absorb throughout the pot.
Thank you

They weren't very droopy until I watered them. Then, I took the pictures.
With the baking soda, it takes a couple of minutes for the pH to settle. But maybe I can find some organic pH up. I hate the smell of vinegar.
Thank you very much
Try to get a feel for how much it weighs after it's watered and then you can just pick it up and know by the weight if it's ready to be watered again. I usually water every 4 days or so. Watering too often might be an issue here. Baking soda might do the trick but after what happened to my buddy I've never ever tried it. All the best.

Try to get a feel for how much it weighs after it's watered and then you can just pick it up and know by the weight if it's ready to be watered again. I usually water every 4 days or so. Watering to often might be an issue here. Baking soda might do the trick but after what happened to my buddy I've never ever tried it. All the best.
Overwatering has been on my mind. The humidity has been so high lately that they seem to stay wet for days.
But, it's funny. I actually feel bad if I don't water them for a while.

If the plants are staying wet for days because of the humidity, obviously they don't need more water,but do they need more nutrients?

Overwatering has been on my mind. The humidity has been so high lately that they seem to stay wet for days.
But, it's funny. I actually feel bad if I don't water them for a while.

If the plants are staying wet for days because of the humidity, obviously they don't need more water,but do they need more nutrients?
Also, do you know if apple cider vinegar would be alright?

They may need more nutes but there's not much you can do until they're ready to be watered again. If they need a specific nutrient you may be able to foliar feed with a spray bottle but you'll need to look into the specific nute to see if that's safe.

I always use regular vinegar so I don't know about apple cider vinegar, but I think it's probably safe to use.

Back
Top Bottom