Which DE bulb has the fullest red spectrum and highest umol output?

jimb0b

I have finally decided to invest in double end hoods and lamps, since one of my nice ballasts was already double end capable, and I was able to get another identical ballast for next to nothing. I am having trouble with bulb selection though. Every bulb I find seems to be the SON-T PIA green power 1000w/400v EL. Which still says it has the new 2100 umol output, but has an odd spectrum that includes a huge spike starting in green, fading into yellow, then a drop to maybe 1%, and then way back up around 600nm fading down to ~10% through the deep reds. I thought this was supposed to be all red. I even remember reading that since it put out virtually no blue, that a supplemental light MH or similar light is advised.
It also includes a small spike around 470nm and another taller spike at 500, which seems innefective and a waste of energy. That paired with ramp up in the green, looks less inviting to plant growth than I remember. So unless i'm crazy, this does not seem to be the same spectrum I remember finding reviewing, when I originally made the decision to go with the Philips. I remember a completely flat chart up to 580nm or so, NO Blues at all, and then ALL The way up to 100% and holding it til around 650nm and then slowly slopes down to about 40%maybe? through the rest of the deep reds fading into IR. Really impressive spectrum when paired with a MH or full spectrum bulb. I have looked into the Ushio Hi-Lux hps, and Opti-red, but the spectrum didnt seem to compare to what I had remembered on the Philips greenpower. Like I said I dont believe I am talking about the SON-T PIA green power, I remember seeing the spec sheet on that, and figuring it was the older original model. I currently cannot find where I saw the original spectrum I am speaking of, which is becoming more and more frustrating, So If anyone knows what I'm talking about, plase speak up. I have ballasts, hoods, all ready to go except I dont know what bulbs to get! Am I just crazy or is there newer better version of the GreenPower out there?

There is another thing worth mentioning, I have seen advertised, on ebay mostly, a 2150 umol greenpower, and AFAIK it is only sold in a gavita box. Is this the same MFG of bulb as Philips? they do say Philips on the package, but it is labaled Gavita as well. I know there was once some question of reliablilty of the genuine Philips vs the Gavita branded one. but others have told me this is no longer the case, and the 2150umol gavita box marked "EL" is of Philips manufacture. So its hard to know what is real and what is hearsay or false advertising, So a clarification on that would be nice. The extra 50 umol could be valuable since my square footage is about 3 sq ft over the reccomended coverage. This might seem like a moot point, but I am going for maximum efficiency all around.
I am only looking to get the highest output bulb that has the fullest spectrum above 575nm. I am using a separate full spectrum bulb on my cheaper single end ballast for supplemental light. I originally chose the greenpower because the SPD chart I was looking at didnt have any peaks or valleys, and covered the whole yellow-red spectrum. Now that I am looking at this SON-T chart, the Ushio Hi-lux appears to have less of a valley around 590nm only dropping to about ~35% instead of 1% than the philips/gavita and still 2100 umol. Perhaps this would be better, depending on if the 2150 umol is for real, and if anyone has heard of this other bulb with the even yellow/red SPD.
I know these setups are still new and it is hard to find any meaningful data on the available products, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom