Which is better? CFL's using many 200's or fewer 300's... Does 10X100 = 5X200 ?

KarlJay

I'm setting up a new room, 4x6x6. My initial target is about 1000W. I was just about get 5 200W CFL in the 6500K range.

Some have suggested that it's not just the 1000W total, but HOW you get to the 1000W total. That 10X100 is not the same as 5X200? and 3X300 is better because of the intensity of the light.

I like the idea of CFLs because:
- you can change a bulb without huge costs
- they can be close the the plant
- you can move each one do mix up the light source for lower plants
- you can change the light spectrum cheap
- you can split your area if you want/need to.

I ready to buy, just need to know, is there an advantage (grow speed) to 300 vs 200 vs 100 (assume the same net wattage)

ok from my understanding of inverse square law.

many many low powered lights are better than fewer high powered lights because much more of the total light can be placed at very close proximity to the plant.

its my sincere belief that 30x 10w cfls will do a better job than 1x 300w. however...we then have to step out of the classroom and into the real world and i can tell you from personal experience that trying to wire up all thse lights and maintain them and take into account significantly higher start up costs and actual weight of lighting equipment and room to move in your grow room....i threw away my cfls and went for a 600w dual spec HPS, lol

trust me bro. your bank, back and your clock will thank you for considering the upgrade.

GIG, Thanks for the reply...

Actually the two main factors is the cost and getting rid of the heat. The price I just got for a 1000W HPS is about $350 (local shop) ... $185 bal $130 hood $65 bulb

I see some used ones on CraigsList but that's a gamble.

Looks like the
200W CFL is $8 $8x5 = $40 for 1000W
300W CFL is $20 $20X3 = $60 for 900W

(I know that doesn't include a hood, sockets, etc)

The cost of cooling is near nothing, the cost to change the color temp is pretty low too.

Someone at the local shop said the difference between CFL vs HPS is that HPS is 30% faster growth.

wow thats an expensive hps. is that cooltube and the works? my 600w dual spec bulb, ballast and shitty eurowing hood cost less thn £80 brand new from a hydro store.

not sure for yourself, but for me CFL red are effectively free (normal 15-30w house lights...blues cost me around$15 per 23 watt bulb and at least around $15 to make a socket for it.

that whole 30% is pretty arbitrary.

you might want to expand your options a little bit.

CMH, induction lighting and LEDs all produce better light to heat ratio over hps. i would do more research friend.

CFLs work...but time and again ive seen them at the start of someones career and not at the end ;)

Check out Ebay. There are a lot of online hydro-shops there with better prices. Gotham is where I purchased my new 180 watt blackstar led.
I too started with cfls, and they work real well for vegging, but better quality buds from HID. But future belongs to led's. Pricey up front, but very long life with low maintenance.
Suggest you start with cfl's, several, not one! Distribute the light evenly in box. Start vegging your plants. Then take your time to find the best deal or stay with what you have. Regardless, you will have a harvest. HID, HPS and LED's all will make your finished product just better. But cfl's have served some guys with fantastic results. Maybe you'll be able to dial in your plant for maximum results using cfl's but I need all the help I can get, And more intense deeper penetrating light is what the higher priced lights will give you.
By the way, that many cfl's will give off enough heat that you will have to vent the room.
Good luck with your grow, and enjoy the experience, it's the only addicting thing about marijuana.

Back
Top Bottom