Which is better for organic nitrogen - Cottonseed or blood ?

baxbax

Hello, as title say I'm choosing good source of nitrogen to add supersoil Is cottonseed meal better then blood ? I read blood meal can attract pests and Its fast release nitrogen compare this with slow and long lasting cottonseed meal and Its also source of potassium Just don't know which to use I find new material every day

I use a mix of amendments. Blood meal releases more quickly, but that's OK as long as you don't overdo it. I use feather meal which is slower. I also add guano, and neem, kelp and alfalfa meals. The neem has a good amount of 'N' in it and is excellent for IPM. Blood meal may attract some things, but it is also good at repelling other pests - like deer. Most herbivores will eat pot, but do not like the scent of blood. YMMV. I've not noticed any insect pests attracted by blood, feather, bone, or other animal byproducts. Neem and cottonseed have similar values and action in the soil. Given the choice, I'd use neem for its added IPM.

I use a mix of amendments. Blood meal releases more quickly, but that's OK as long as you don't overdo it. I use feather meal which is slower. I also add guano, and neem, kelp and alfalfa meals. The neem has a good amount of 'N' in it and is excellent for IPM. Blood meal may attract some things, but it is also good at repelling other pests - like deer. Most herbivores will eat pot, but do not like the scent of blood. YMMV. I've not noticed any insect pests attracted by blood, feather, bone, or other animal byproducts. Neem and cottonseed have similar values and action in the soil. Given the choice, I'd use neem for its added IPM.

I wan to use mix of these U mentioned but replace alfalfa with cottonseed meal cant find alfalfa here Just wonder Cottonseed meal contain a bit Oil Does this hurt soil or plant ?

I wan to use mix of these U mentioned but replace alfalfa with cottonseed meal cant find alfalfa here Just wonder Cottonseed meal contain a bit Oil Does this hurt soil or plant ?

Not if you don't overdo it. Neem has a lot of oil in it as well. That's one of the reasons they act slowly in the soil. I bet the oil content in cottonseed meal is only about 2%. It will lower your soil PH. That might be a good thing...or not. Usually some lime and bone meal are used to offset the acidity of most 'N' amendments.

Back
Top Bottom