Which soil to get from Bunnings or Masters?

You absolutely bloody nailed it Mad Flavour.
Had to check I didnt write it lol.

Yep I came here for Aussie knowledge & products,stores etc ..& laymans terms.Simple terms for me thanks ha.

But it's all knowledge I guess.

Go to Bunnings, pretend you are growing tomatoes. Buy tomato seed raising mix, $4 a bag. Buy nitrosol, $15, water with 1/4 strength nitrosol starting when plant is a few weeks into veg. When plant is starting to flower buy Powerfeed Red $15 for roses etc. Switch to this while, in flower. Outlay $35. i have grown some super outdoor plants with just these things. I now use the same nutes and grow some good plants in coco. indoors. Just pretend you are growing tomatos you will be sweet. Forget all the complicated soils and expensive hydro formulas, not required.

Go to Bunnings, pretend you are growing tomatoes. Buy tomato seed raising mix, $4 a bag. Buy nitrosol, $15, water with 1/4 strength nitrosol starting when plant is a few weeks into veg. When plant is starting to flower buy Powerfeed Red $15 for roses etc. Switch to this while, in flower. Outlay $35. i have grown some super outdoor plants with just these things. I now use the same nutes and grow some good plants in coco. indoors. Just pretend you are growing tomatos you will be sweet. Forget all the complicated soils and expensive hydro formulas, not required.

thanks for that advice Capt' ... regarding the Powerfeed Red, how much should i mix and how often should i water with this Powerfeed Red mixture during flower stage??

Also should i be PH testing my water?? Hope you can pass on your expert knowledge once again and help out this newbie :)

Yes, just to be sure, PH test your water. Kits are cheap from bunnings. But the tap water where I am is no issue, depends , so yes PH test. if you are growing in seed raising mix then you dont need ferts until a few weeks in then just use nitrosol a couple of times a week about 2 or 3 ml a litre. Always let the top of your soil dry out before you water again. Just replace the nitrosol with Powerfeed same ratio in flower. If in doubt use less is the rule, you can always work the strength up gradually. Thats just the way I do it in soil, sometimes never looked at my plants for a week and grew some beauties outside in soil.

Capt' do you mean "Powerfeed Red for Tomatoes and Vegetables" or which Powerfeed for flowering indoors? Are you referring to the liquid? Can you please post a link to the item if that's possible?

No worries, here are some indicas in coco 12 days from germination , had their third feed of highly diluted nitrosol yesterday. 1ml per litre.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 698
Hey so people have experience using osmocote premium plus potting mix from Bunnings? Wanted to use this mixed in with some perlite for an outdoor grow

Hey Capt' both Nitrosol and Powerfeed should be good to go with a soil like Osmocote Premuim Plus right??

Osmocote is a slow release fertiliser, i tend to steer clear of any soils with slow release fertiliser because you have no way of knowing how much nutes they release and the fact their dispersal in the the mix is random. Also I wouldnt be using nitrosl at all with that mix because you could kill the plant easily by excessive nutes. as an example that picture I posted are of indicas in coco with zero nutrients. They are thriving with a small amount of nitrosol only 1ml per litre added only the first week. If you use soil with slow release fertilisers in my experience you will have poor results.

Osmocote is a slow release fertiliser, i tend to steer clear of any soils with slow release fertiliser because you have no way of knowing how much nutes they release and the fact their dispersal in the the mix is random. Also I wouldnt be using nitrosl at all with that mix because you could kill the plant easily by excessive nutes. as an example that picture I posted are of indicas in coco with zero nutrients. They are thriving with a small amount of nitrosol only 1ml per litre added only the first week. If you use soil with slow release fertilisers in my experience you will have poor results.

Capt' what other nutrients do you use on coco other than those you've previously mentioned??

Do you use a water reservoir setup?? if so can you please explain how this is setup? :)

I used to grow outdoors. I am now growing successfully indoors using coco from Bunnings as a medium. I washed the coco thoroughly with water until it ran clear, there are 2 types of coco on the shelf, be careful do not not buy the pre fertilised coco. I use fabric pots I bought off ebay for 2 bucks each. i start off in 1 gallon and progress up to 3 gallon . I hand water every day or 2nd day when the top looks dry. I have the pots on top of wire mesh from Bunnings with a gap underneath of a few inches, I used an angle grinder to cut it to for the space. I put trays underneath so the pots drain through to the trays which I empty regularly. Theres a few minutes a day for the maintenance and watering. Nitrosol and Powerfeed for flowering, thats it. Coco is great, I left a grow for 9 days last year without watering and still going strong when I came back. But you have to wash it thoroughly before you use it due to natural occurring salt content.
The other thing is I have picked up in general is that it is easy to kill a plant with kindness but much harder to kill it with neglect. With nutrients always start with very little, much easier to adjust upwards.

I always use wet paper towel in a warm place, so far this year I have a 100 percent germination rate from my own seeds. When the white tales come popping out plant them tail down just beneath the surface by a couple of mm. You can use Osmocote cutting and seedling mix from Bunnings if you want to grow in soil, they keep it near all the hydro stuff normally. And plant in the tomato mix only after plant needs repotting. Make sure your water is tested for PH, again Bunnings sells the PH testers and adjusters near all the hydro stuff. PH becomes very important if you grow in coco, not so important in soil but for the best possible result always make sure you PH adjust your water if it needs it. Around 6 has proven to be perfect for me. you can use nitrosol as a starter nute when your seedlings are around a week old, I would suggest water only when the top is dry at least an inch and use a mix of 5ml nitrosol to 4 litres of water to start with.
good luck

Just to reiterate, there is a big difference between "potting" mixes and "seedling" mixes. "Potting" mixes are meant for mature plants and the excess of nutes may kill your seedlings. if you grow in soil only ever put young seedlings in "seedling" or "cutting" mix.

Lol, not many remember the pig of steel. I still have some old Tracks mags with him in.

Back
Top Bottom