Why aren't more people using hempy buckets?

Thanks for pimping my journal Weasel!

As for me, I started with a soiless medium and wanted to try hydro. I was going to do a DWC grow, and started buying all the stuff for it, and then I found the Hempy method. This appealed to me for a few reasons:

1. It's cheap. A giant bag of perlite is ~$15 USD, and a bucket is a few more. It's even reusable if you're into that.

2. There is no reservoir to cool. For me, this was the deciding factor, as I would have had to buy a chiller, which is expensive.

3. With DWC, many growers have to adjust the pH daily. Seeing as I dislike adjusting my water enough every few days, I didn't want to do it EVERY day.

4. It can be unattended for several days if needed (3-4 in my case).

Of course there are downsides to it too, like more waste, transplanting is difficult/not recommended, and like Fuzzy said, your plant may become top-heavy.

Just my opinion, but I would recommend it to anyone. Especially new growers, as they have enough to worry about!

Jojo, I just checked out your journal and it looks like you are running exactly what I'm looking to do! Do you mind giving me some more info on your scrog setup? Dimensions etc. does it attach to the bucket or just sit on top? I'll be following your journal! Thanks!

And thanks for everyone else's input too! Looks like I'll be trying hempy!

About a month back i was talking to fuzzy about hempys and decided to give them a try.. ive been using coco and so far so good my buckets are pretty small like 2 gal, ive been watering them every 2 days if they were 2 gal pots of straight coco id have to water a lot more i think. This has been a very simple grow fingers crossed it finishes as smoothly as it started

Jojo, I just checked out your journal and it looks like you are running exactly what I'm looking to do! Do you mind giving me some more info on your scrog setup? Dimensions etc. does it attach to the bucket or just sit on top? I'll be following your journal! Thanks!

And thanks for everyone else's input too! Looks like I'll be trying hempy!

No problem buddy! I'll try to get some stuff together tomorrow to share. The total size of the screen is 2' x 2' and it is bolted to the lid of the bucket, but breaks down for when it's not needed. I did see a simpler way to do it that I'd recommend, and I'll try to dig that up too.

No problem buddy! I'll try to get some stuff together tomorrow to share. The total size of the screen is 2' x 2' and it is bolted to the lid of the bucket, but breaks down for when it's not needed. I did see a simpler way to do it that I'd recommend, and I'll try to dig that up too.

Would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Sorry it took me a few days! I made my SCROG attachment that way originally for DWC, then changed my mind to hempy and used it anyway. If I were you, I'd do it something like the one in the following DIY post. It's a little bit simpler, and the screen doesn't need to hold much weight.
Waterfarm recirculating reservoir and scrog screen add on

I grew in a 5 gallon bucket and my SCROG measures 24" x 24" and the nylon string is on a 2" grid. I also placed mine 12" above the bucket top. I just used self-tapping screws into the PVC and wrapped the string around them. I have pictures if you want to see how I built it.

Sorry it took me a few days! I made my SCROG attachment that way originally for DWC, then changed my mind to hempy and used it anyway. If I were you, I'd do it something like the one in the following DIY post. It's a little bit simpler, and the screen doesn't need to hold much weight.
Waterfarm recirculating reservoir and scrog screen add on

I grew in a 5 gallon bucket and my SCROG measures 24" x 24" and the nylon string is on a 2" grid. I also placed mine 12" above the bucket top. I just used self-tapping screws into the PVC and wrapped the string around them. I have pictures if you want to see how I built it.

Thanks for the info! I will put it to good use! I'm sure this won't be the last time I have a question about hempy haha

Back
Top Bottom