Why is my plant sick? Total Newbie

About400and20

Hello, please see if you can give me some input on why my plants are doing this.
Some background: This is a 2 week old (from sprout) northern lights plant. I have a 200W CFL lamp somewhat close to it (3-4 inches maybe?) They are looking alittle sick though, this is from the last node which is going to have 5 fingers. This finger has some nasty spots on it:
IMG_20150311_192333.jpg

Notice the one of the two first true leaves, its looking yellow-ish and not particulary healthy:
IMG_20150311_192351.jpg

Also a close up from the newer growth. It looks burned on its 'blades' or whatever these tips are called! Definitely something I should worry about:
IMG_20150311_192443.jpg

I looked up what light stress looks like and it doesnt seem this is it. I have moved the light a few inches higher just for precaution. I haven't fed the plant any nutrients yet, and the soil didn't have too much of it in it either.
Why is it sick though?

Re: Why is my plant sick? [TOTAL NEWBIE]

I bought some generic soil for outdoor plants. This is what was written on it: (I am translating this)
Composition:
Blond peat (disintegration level Von Post: H2-H4, H3-H6) 40%
Compost from green plants: 40%
Compostified pine bark: 20%
Nutrients: Nitrogen (N) and Phosphorus (P)
pH:
5,4-7,2 (CaCl2)
Conductivity: 300-700 mS/cm
Salt:
1,5-2,5 g/l KCl
Nutrients available to the plants (CAT):
Nitrogen (N) 110-290 mg/l
Phosphate (P2O5): 120-285 mg/l
Potassium (K20) 650-1550 mg/l

I'm watering with tap water. I let it sit in a bottle first for a few days so it gets rid of the Chlorine in it.

Re: Why is my plant sick? [TOTAL NEWBIE]

I bought some generic soil for outdoor plants. This is what was written on it: (I am translating this)
Composition:
Blond peat (disintegration level Von Post: H2-H4, H3-H6) 40%
Compost from green plants: 40%
Compostified pine bark: 20%
Nutrients: Nitrogen (N) and Phosphorus (P)
pH:
5,4-7,2 (CaCl2)
Conductivity: 300-700 mS/cm
Salt:
1,5-2,5 g/l KCl
Nutrients available to the plants (CAT):
Nitrogen (N) 110-290 mg/l
Phosphate (P2O5): 120-285 mg/l
Potassium (K20) 650-1550 mg/l

I'm watering with tap water. I let it sit in a bottle first for a few days so it gets rid of the Chlorine in it.
Looks low on Nitrogen, the soil will work in Flower but hard on her in veg. Get some organic coffee and run a couple scoops through your coffee maker and let it cool or use a filter and pitcher with the water you have sitting out, then giver that water. The ph will be close to 6.5 and giver her some Nitrogen. The other thing is your soil may be hard to flush because i don't see perlite in it and I looked up blond peat and your mix has 40% of it, this is what it said: Pale blond peat

Product of recent, incomplete decomposition of sphagnum.
Fibrous and may hold water 700 times its volume.
Once it has dried, it is hard to rehydrate.
Poor in nutrients, but it can easily absorb those from a fertilizer.

Human urine is high in nitrogen. Dilute some piss in a bucket and pour that on there. Don't over do it as there is a fair bit of salt in there too.

I think the soil isn't a good mix. I would get some good soil, I'm using Promix i found at Home depot, it's a peat moss mix with nutrients, perlite, and limestone in it for buffering against rising ph values I've been using it on 8 plants (2 in flower) for a month and haven't ph'd my water. In the mean time the coffee trick will give her some N and get the ph close, while looking for better soil. I know alot of people use Fox Farm soil, do some reading around and see what is available in your area.

Back
Top Bottom