Why organic nutrients do not work in coco

Thanks. The gnatrol is organic? The tent is in the closet in the bedroom a few feet from my bed with the exhaust going in the room I sleep in. I did not want to risk pesticides or anything like that with me breathing that air on there. Would watering with a mix of water and peroxide get rid of bugs in the soil you buy in the bag? Then flush with regular water before you mix in your dry amendments in it on there?
Yeah it's just a beneficial bacteria that interrupts the fungus gnat life cycle, nothing toxic about it, you could drink it if you were so inclined. I don't think just a mixture of peroxide will kill everything in the soil. Like Emilya said, you can sterilize it with heat if you want to be sure.

Thanks. I want to again reiterate that this thread is not me asking for help in my grow or asking why are the dry amendments not working with my plants. I made this thread to start a talk with people that had open minds and try to figure out how you could make dry amendments work in coco. It is not a well it does not work so do not do it thread. Thank you for the time but I was hoping to talk it out with people to try to figure it out. I have already learned my lesson from my first grow with dry amendments in coco which is why I am trying biotabs with the recommended guide from biotabs for the next grow. I found quite a few people asking similar questions to what I was when I was looking up info on dry amendments in coco which I thought it would be nice to talk it out with people and try to figure out how to make it work on there.

Also @The123321 I don't think dry amendments are your best bet for a perpetual grow like you're talking about, you may want to read up on the use of MegaCrop instead, it will be much simpler and a better way to go with the perpetual set up, especially if you're using clones, they should all have similar nutrient requirements if they are close to the same age. I sure wouldn't try and grow 4 different strains out of one reservoir though, been there done that with my DWC and I couldn't keep more than one plant happy at a time.

Yeah it's just a beneficial bacteria that interrupts the fungus gnat life cycle, nothing toxic about it, you could drink it if you were so inclined. I don't think just a mixture of peroxide will kill everything in the soil. Like Emilya said, you can sterilize it with heat if you want to be sure.

Thanks. If I decide to try soil I may try something like this. I read that mixing neem oil in the soil would also work to remove pests for it on there.

Since it's your first grow, why not try something easy to start with. a lot of people here and else where are getting superb results with megacrop and coco alone. You could do that while you amend and cook some peat based mix for an organic grow next time. Can you do organics in coco? Seems like some are but it's not easy, why not get a few grows in first before you jump into something like that. Either way, when you amend coco it seems like you loose the ability to treat it like hydroponics and at that rate what's the difference between that and peat like promix hp?

Also @The123321 I don't think dry amendments are your best bet for a perpetual grow like you're talking about, you may want to read up on the use of MegaCrop instead, it will be much simpler and a better way to go with the perpetual set up, especially if you're using clones, they should all have similar nutrient requirements if they are close to the same age. I sure wouldn't try and grow 4 different strains out of one reservoir though, been there done that with my DWC and I couldn't keep more than one plant happy at a time.

Thanks. The perpetual grow I am planning is you plant 2 plants then 6 weeks later you plant 2 more plants. The autos I am using are usually ready to harvest in 12 weeks. Then if you plant 2 plants every 6 weeks you could then likely harvest 2 plants every 6 weeks. That would not work on 1 reservoir with megacrop due to the plants that are in late flowering would not have the same level of the megacrop that the plants that are in veg in the tent would need to be watered. I want to have all 4 plants on 1 reservoir. That is why I was looking at dry amendments to use for it on there.

Thanks. I want to again reiterate that this thread is not me asking for help in my grow or asking why are the dry amendments not working with my plants. I made this thread to start a talk with people that had open minds and try to figure out how you could make dry amendments work in coco. It is not a well it does not work so do not do it thread. Thank you for the time but I was hoping to talk it out with people to try to figure it out. I have already learned my lesson from my first grow with dry amendments in coco which is why I am trying biotabs with the recommended guide from biotabs for the next grow. I found quite a few people asking similar questions to what I was when I was looking up info on dry amendments in coco which I thought it would be nice to talk it out with people and try to figure out how to make it work on there.
You are not going to find what you need here among the experienced growers. We are not going to have an open mind to this method because we know the mechanics behind what happens here and we know it can not work as well as doing all the things you propose, in soil instead. There is no figuring out.. you are trying push the truck up the hill. You will get there, but it won't be pretty or easy, and you could do so much better just by giving up on your coco idea. People have been trying to add organics to coco for years, you are certainly not the first.

If you want to go coco so badly, embrace the hydro... embrace the artificialness of it all. I don't care how much organic lipstick you wish to put on a pig, it will still be a pig. If you want to go organic and get the benefits therein, go organic... with soil.

Thanks. If I decide to try soil I may try something like this. I read that mixing neem oil in the soil would also work to remove pests for it on there.
You keep looking for a short cut. There are none. Neem or peroxide are not going to kill all the bugs, eggs and larvae. The only surefire way to sterilize soil is with heat.

Thanks. The perpetual grow I am planning is you plant 2 plants then 6 weeks later you plant 2 more plants. The autos I am using are usually ready to harvest in 12 weeks. Then if you plant 2 plants every 6 weeks you could then likely harvest 2 plants every 6 weeks. That would not work on 1 reservoir with megacrop due to the plants that are in late flowering would not have the same level of the megacrop that the plants that are in veg in the tent would need to be watered. I want to have all 4 plants on 1 reservoir. That is why I was looking at dry amendments to use for it on there.
Your idea won't work for oh so many reasons, no two plants have identical nutrient requirements, you're assuming every plant will take an exact time to harvest from seed and they won't, you are trying to use the most backwards and complex method of growing for your first grow so you're setting yourself up for frustration and failure. You have a wealth of experience here on this forum at your disposal and you're insisting on a method that won't work. Stop listening to some quack grower on YouTube whose probably sponsored by the people whose snake oil he's pushing. If you want to be happy with your grow, KISS=Keep It Simple Stupid. I've been growing for 17 years and the easiest way to get the best bud I've found is a airpot full of coco coir and a big bag of MegaCrop.

I didn't even realize you were using megacrop. Since you are using a vegan aminochelated fertilizer, your plants have everything they need and will flat out and totally ignore any of the organics you have placed around for them to find. You have totally wasted your money on the organics, megacrop is the only thing feeding your plants.

Thanks. I have autopots that I want to use. I do not want to test ppm and ec and run off. I want to open the tent as little as possible. I am in an apartment and do not have a lot of room to be measuring and doing all that. I want simple and I do not want to wait 3-4 months between harvests. Thank you everyone for the time but I think everyone here is not getting the idea behind this post. I am going to again reiterate that this post was not asking for help with my grow and why I may be having problems with my plants. I am not spamming the same question over and over. This thread is not about that. I have those threads and was told similar things. This thread was to talk about how to make organic dry amendments work in coco to try to help those people that are often asking the same questions I have been asking. I think there is a way to make it work and just simply saying no it would not work is not helping to figure that out. In looking up the info I found many people asking similar questions and thought that maybe instead of everyone saying no do not try it maybe there would be a few people that would be willing to talk it out and try to figure out a way to make it work on there.

I didn't even realize you were using megacrop. Since you are using a vegan aminochelated fertilizer, your plants have everything they need and will flat out and totally ignore any of the organics you have placed around for them to find. You have totally wasted your money on the organics, megacrop is the only thing feeding your plants.
He's not, I was suggesting it...

This thread was to talk about how to make organic dry amendments work in coco to try to help those people that are often asking the same questions I have been asking. I think there is a way to make it work and just simply saying no it would not work is not helping to figure that out. In looking up the info I found many people asking similar questions and thought that maybe instead of everyone saying no do not try it maybe there would be a few people that would be willing to talk it out and try to figure out a way to make it work on there.
I understand what you are asking, but you are not listening to us. It is not possible. You are asking for magic. Get a magic wand if that is your intent. The physics... the mechanics of how plants get nutrients, the biology, all say that what you are wanting to do, can not be done, especially alongside Megacrop. Sorry to be a downer, but you are asking for the impossible, and the only people who will tell you it is possible, are those who don't know any better. Sorry, but do you want the truth or some sort of bromide to make you feel better?

I understand what you are asking, but you are not listening to us. It is not possible. You are asking for magic. Get a magic wand if that is your intent. The physics... the mechanics of how plants get nutrients, the biology, all say that what you are wanting to do, can not be done, especially alongside Megacrop. Sorry to be a downer, but you are asking for the impossible, and the only people who will tell you it is possible, are those who don't know any better. Sorry, but do you want the truth or some sort of bromide to make you feel better?
Thanks. I am not using megacrop. I get that it may not be as easy as in soil but I have read many threads and grow journals where dry amendments did work in coco. It is possible. It may not be ideal but I have read many times from people that did make it work. This thread was to talk through the biology of the plant and to figure out a way to piece it together to make it work. I am not trying to ignore what people are saying but I am trying to have an open talk here not a no it will not work do something different thread. For example if microbes not having it easy in coco is the problem then you could likely put extra microbes in every week or two right? I do not think it is impossible. I just think that many people have heard that for so long that they are not willing to even talk about it on there.

Thanks. I am not using megacrop. I get that it may not be as easy as in soil but I have read many threads and grow journals where dry amendments did work in coco. It is possible. It may not be ideal but I have read many times from people that did make it work. This thread was to talk through the biology of the plant and to figure out a way to piece it together to make it work. I am not trying to ignore what people are saying but I am trying to have an open talk here not a no it will not work do something different thread. For example if microbes not having it easy in coco is the problem then you could likely put extra microbes in every week or two right? I do not think it is impossible. I just think that many people have heard that for so long that they are not willing to even talk about it on there.
The only way you can get dry amendments to work is to get the microbes to process them, and then directly feed the roots. There is nothing in the coco for these raw ions of nutrient to attach to, so if the microbes dont live long enough to get to the roots, the nutrient they are holding will simply be flushed out. The only way you would even start to have enough microbe activity to pull this off would be by applying new living microbes with every watering, so in coco that is twice a day. The major problem is that unlike soil, there is no place to store nutrients. If it isnt in a readily available form and floating around in the mix, it is invisible to the plant. Its not that the raw nutrient isnt in there, its the ability to get it into the plant that is the problem. Again, throw enough money at it, and you will get this to work. Check out the price of URB... you are going to need it. Sure, if you want to do it the hard way, there are ways to make it work... its just silly. What you are trying to do is the equivalent of trying to grow a plant to completion in a solo cup... it can be done, but WHY??

Thanks for the information. I water the coco 1 time per day and I do not drain to waste. I instead let it sit in the tray and let it wick up any water that runs through the pot. Would that not keep the microbes in the coco long enough to feed the roots on there? Then reintroduce new microbes every 2 weeks on there? The dr earth slow release dry fertilizer I am using has microbes in it. Then it releases new microbes every time water goes into the pot and wets the dry amendments in the coco right? Is that how that works on there?

Back
Top Bottom