How Often Should I Water In Coco?

My plants are wilted and slumped over after a day of no watering and that’s with a 20% run off!
Anyone else find they have to water every day ? Or they get that appearance to there plants.
I’m using 2 1/2 gal pots. And a couple 5 gal.

I am going to see if @Bill284, or any other hydro grower, can stop by and help out. In the meantime...

My plants are wilted and slumped over after a day of no watering and that’s with a 20% run off!
Anyone else find they have to water every day ? Or they get that appearance to there plants.
I’m using 2 1/2 gal pots. And a couple 5 gal.
I do not grow with any hydroponic method but I have to admit that hydro growing has always fascinated me since I was a kid. That means I do not grow in a straight coco base or any of the other hydro bases.

But, there are some very successful hydro and especially coco growers here and they are pounding it into our heads that coco growing means that the coco has to be watered every day. None of the every other day or even every day and a half - every day. Not sure about the amount of run through but probably about 20%.

And, the water should have the nutrients in it every day unless the nutrients are specifically for hydro and the company firmly states to use a different feeding schedule.

You might be able to poke your finger down into the coco about 2 knuckles down and find moist coco and think you can skip a day but the coco is no longer wet. It has to be wet all the time. There is no damp stage that will work -- it is not soil.

And, add a Cal-Mag product to the water each time. Add it first, stir it in, let it sit for several minutes and then mix in the other fertilizers.

These methods of watering coco might seem extreme. Coco is an organic material but it does not hold water the same way that other organic materials and peat moss mixed into soil will. It can start off holding as much but after a day it has lost enough that it is already getting dry and the plant's roots have also started drying out which is why you are seeing wilting leaves.

I am going to see if @Bill284, or any other hydro grower, can stop by and help out. In the meantime...

I do not grow with any hydroponic method but I have to admit that hydro growing has always fascinated me since I was a kid. That means I do not grow in a straight coco base or any of the other hydro bases.

But, there are some very successful hydro and especially coco growers here and they are pounding it into our heads that coco growing means that the coco has to be watered every day. None of the every other day or even every day and a half - every day. Not sure about the amount of run through but probably about 20%.

And, the water should have the nutrients in it every day unless the nutrients are specifically for hydro and the company firmly states to use a different feeding schedule.

You might be able to poke your finger down into the coco about 2 knuckles down and find moist coco and think you can skip a day but the coco is no longer wet. It has to be wet all the time. There is no damp stage that will work -- it is not soil.

And, add a Cal-Mag product to the water each time. Add it first, stir it in, let it sit for several minutes and then mix in the other fertilizers.

These methods of watering coco might seem extreme. Coco is an organic material but it does not hold water the same way that other organic materials and peat moss mixed into soil will. It can start off holding as much but after a day it has lost enough that it is already getting dry and the plant's roots have also started drying out which is why you are seeing wilting leaves.
Hey Smoke. :ciao:
For a non coco grower you have the procedure down to a science. :thumb:
Good morning @StoneyBob7 and welcome to 420Magazine.
Check out my threads, they are all coco watered every day just like Smoke says.
The roots need fed every day.
I add a couple things and lots of perlite.
Any questions let me know.
If you want to meet everyone and say hi here is a link

Talk soon.
Take care.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

this has been properly answer in every reply but i like reading my own post so screw it i posted anyway.

why use coco if you can't hammer the water to it. Sometimes you can water 2x a day late veg early flower:ganjamon: build a drip system instead of adding to coco coir is a better approach i believe ( just my thoughts on it)

You should also pre-buffer coco coir with cal/mag water before you plant. some people are butt hurt about ph level of water when you buffer , just get something above 6ph and under 6.8ph if your anal about everything you do. there's tons of info on googlator about how to buffer coco coir. If you don't have the time to water every day do a coco dirt mix (50/50) and you can water less but still dry out faster than straight dirt.

If you don't have the time to water every day do a coco dirt mix (50/50) and you can water less but still dry out faster than straight dirt.
Depending on the quality of the soil.the 50/50 mix might mean less need to fertilize every time it is watered. Plus more room to work with fertilizers meant for soil growing.

After several grows the gardener can start thinking about whether they want to begin to work with a hydro style of growing or if they want to fine-tune their soil growing.

Back
Top Bottom