Why organic nutrients do not work in coco

Thanks. This is the grow with biotabs following the biotabs guide. This is not the 1 with the regular dry amendments in it. The biotabs grow is only a little over 2 weeks with the 2 plants that look good and the 1 with the biochar looks really good in my opinion. When I was looking into using biochar it was recommended to use biochar that was pre charged though I had this raw biochar that was not and used it. I am now looking into ordering more biochar for the next grow and looking into pre charged vs raw biochar that is not pre charged with microbes on there. The buildasoil biochar that is precharged is like a 2 gallon bag which would last me months through a few grows and I wonder if the microbes stay alive and good in the bag while it is in storage or if that is something you would need to use soon after opening it on there.

Thanks. I am a little over 2 weeks into the grow and the plant that has the biochar in the pot does look better. What do you think about biochar that is pre charged vs the raw biochar that is not loaded with microbes on there?
Use the pre-charged until you know that the bio-char will prove itself to be helpful.

If you mix in the raw char the microbes will actively migrate to the char and start colonizing. They move away from the organics that you are trying to use to feed the plant. Once the char has be colonized (pre-charged) the microbes will then go back to colonizing the other areas around the rooting soil/soil-less mix that you are using. At least that is the way I have read it, had a few others explain it to me, and what has been posted on several other msgs.

The raw bio-char can be charged for the next grow just by mixing some worm casting and/or compost with the charcoal at a rate of 1 part char to 10 parts compost and/or castings and waiting a couple of weeks. I have placed the mixture in a bucket, put a lid on it to keep the rain from soaking the mix, and just left it sitting in an out of the way corner in the outside work area.

Thanks. This is the grow with biotabs following the biotabs guide. This is not the 1 with the regular dry amendments in it. The biotabs grow is only a little over 2 weeks with the 2 plants that look good and the 1 with the biochar looks really good in my opinion. When I was looking into using biochar it was recommended to use biochar that was pre charged though I had this raw biochar that was not and used it. I am now looking into ordering more biochar for the next grow and looking into pre charged vs raw biochar that is not pre charged with microbes on there. The buildasoil biochar that is precharged is like a 2 gallon bag which would last me months through a few grows and I wonder if the microbes stay alive and good in the bag while it is in storage or if that is something you would need to use soon after opening it on there.
They might go dormant if the stuff dries out just like the microbes in arid soils come back as soon as a rainy season starts.

Thanks. If you think it takes like 2 weeks to charge the biochar then if I use it when I plant the seed in the pot and then do a watering with microbes like real growers recharge do you think the microbes would be ready and working on the plant around 2 weeks into the grow on there? I am in an apartment and do not really have the room to mix it before I plant the seed on there. You think that the biochar that is pre charged may be fine after months in storage after I water it on there?

Thanks. If you think it takes like 2 weeks to charge the biochar then if I use it when I plant the seed in the pot and then do a watering with microbes like real growers recharge do you think the microbes would be ready and working on the plant around 2 weeks into the grow on there? I am in an apartment and do not really have the room to mix it before I plant the seed on there. You think that the biochar that is pre charged may be fine after months in storage after I water it on there?
Yes.

Ok. Admitted I havent read the full 7 pages and only the initial post.

You absolutely can go organic coco, if you compost your coco with the dry amendments. You can't just add them and treat it like a regular coco grow. You absolutely can go organic in any hydroponic medium, however some are more forgiving than others. If you are talking adding dry ingredients just stick with soil, its far less complex. Organic growing in hydroponics really is for more experienced growers who understand the needs of the media as well as the plants. Liquid organics work fine but you need to learn how to use them.proficiemtly. the key to growing in all hydro media is beneficial bacterias and fungi. Better to start sterile. Learn the media, then start advancing to organics. If you want organic, in the beginning its far better to go down the soil route as it can be a real harsh journey in hydro for vets, never mind newer growers
with less than 3 or 4 years growing.

Stumbled on this at my local mill. Been thinking of something similar to what you're working up and was just about to pull the trigger on all the ingredients. I've got a couple different product lines of Roots Organics and a water soluble blend from a local company called Meigs Fertilizer. Fingers crossed!
IMG_20200527_110716.jpg
IMG_20200527_110641.jpg

Thanks. I would recommend looking into biochar that is charged vs uncharged to figure out which you want to use. I now plan to use biochar that is then charged on future grows as I have read that using uncharged may soak up nutrients and microbes for a while in the grow. It looks like you can do the charge yourself if you want on there. I ordered biochar that is then charged on buildasoil to try on there.

As you said this is your first grow. I still remember my first grow in 1999, I wanted to do everything. Although I didn't have the access to information that is available now and made many errors. If you want to be organic just grow in soil. If you want fast growing, high yielding plants stick with coco/hydroponics (coco is hydropnics) and read my how to grow in coco thread. All the info is out there, no need to experiment and complicate matters when you can get immediate fantastic results by copying templates of others that have done this for years. Ofcourse we all want to find out for ourselves, thats how we learn best but use the info that is here already and copy it, whether its soil or coco. No need to do it alone.

I'm going to have to disagree old friend. Although amazing results can me made from soil, certainly not my expertise, like for like environments with same veg times and using clones from the same mother the difference would be noticeable. However its irrelevant really. The important thing is that plants are strong and healthy. Experienced growers will maximise their spaces for sure, regardless of techniques. But new growers just stick to the basics for sure.

Thanks. I would recommend looking into biochar that is charged vs uncharged to figure out which you want to use. I now plan to use biochar that is then charged on future grows as I have read that using uncharged may soak up nutrients and microbes for a while in the grow. It looks like you can do the charge yourself if you want on there. I ordered biochar that is then charged on buildasoil to try on there.
Yeah. Just caught that from a recent message. I'll look into it a bit more but an pretty confident I have the nutes stacked right to account for it. Only my 2 grow so, who knows!

Ofcourse we all want to find out for ourselves, thats how we learn best but use the info that is here already and copy it, whether its soil or coco. No need to do it alone.
Perfectly said! Imitation is very important in any learning process. But so is experimentation. And speaking of both, I'm about to check out your Coco stuff!

And although I love @Cultivator like a brother, I have to disagree on one point. I have proven that with proper nutrient programs, proper watering and successive uppotting, I can achieve growth that is every bit as fast as hydroponic, in soil. My last grow journal proves it. I will say it took many many grows to get there though. It is all in how you apply the tools.
She’s still drying, but here’s my new Biggest Bud, from the MC grow I’m finishing up. You were right about the monsters it produces.
C811F08A-2FBD-4411-9273-D8604AAF42FA.jpeg
AD60AAF3-B58E-48A8-B9FA-D1C5CE6C1106.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom