Why organic nutrients do not work in coco

Thanks. The biotabs line that I am using has bactrex which you mix with water to add microbes to the pot. The just add tap water method that I plan to use with 50 50 coco perlite like the guide recommends on this link

That guide recommends watering with the bactrex 1 time every 2 weeks. I am thinking of trying 2 plants side by side then with 1 I do it like the guide recommends then the next 1 do the watering with bactrex 1 time every week. Then if that grow does not work out I plan to try biobizz light mix for the next grow with biotabs for it on there.

After you get done throwing all this time, money and effort into this grow, I hope you end up getting a good bit of yield. You are proof that if you throw enough money at a problem a solution can be found. I hope you eventually find a method that works for you before it breaks the bank. Please don't cry when I tell you that the entire cost of my last grow was $29 including soil, containers, water, nutes and everything but electricity, and with my DIY COB lights, that was cheap too. My return was approximately $4000 worth of pot.

Thanks. I like trying to figure things out. The biotabs are not that expensive. With shipping I am paying like $5 per plant for the whole biotabs line. The items I am using are not that expensive. I am not just throwing money at the problem. Every piece of equipment I am using I spent lots of time researching and sourcing it at better prices. I ordered my quantum board led from alibaba to get a good deal on it. I just like trying to figure things out. Imagine where things would be today if nobody was willing to experiment? I like figuring things out and that is what this thread was about. I would like to be able to give some information to the many people that are looking for the same answers as I am. Like it or not lots of people watch youtube and mr canuk is 1 of the most popular youtubers that grows their own cannabis in the video and lots of people are likely going to try it. Instead of just saying no it wont work trying to figure out why it wont work and things you can do to make it work is better in my opinion. Like I said I am not planning to try that type of grow again soon but I thought it would be nice to try to figure out how to make it work on there.

Thanks. This is not for youtube. This is because I like trying to figure things out. The more I read up on biochar the more I think that it would make a difference if you mix it with the coco. From what I have read you can use it as a peat substitute and that it is pourous and helps promote microbe life and gives the microbes an item in the pot to be in.

Here's my autopots grow, I rarely mess with my plants and they grow fine
IMG_20200427_125424985.jpg

Thanks. This is not for youtube. This is because I like trying to figure things out. The more I read up on biochar the more I think that it would make a difference if you mix it with the coco. From what I have read you can use it as a peat substitute and that it is pourous and helps promote microbe life and gives the microbes an item in the pot to be in.
and with all the potassium in the medium with too much biochar you will lock out nitrogen availability. If mixing soils was this easy, everyone would do it and commercial soils would not be a thing. You need to study Mulder's chart.

Thanks. Those plants look nice. If I had room for 2 reservoirs I might do something like megacrop. I would likely only mix in around 5-10% biochar in with the coco like it recommends on the bag for it on there.

Step 1: Lose the autopots.
Step 2: (This step not needed.)

Thanks. You need to stop referencing mr canuk. That is only 1 example of many people I have read journals and posts and talked to people that have made this work. My plants are on day 27 now and are doing ok though the problems I have been having were from me not doing the ph right in the beginning and then I think I put a little more fertilizer than is needed in the coco. I am not following what mr canuk does in his videos. That is just 1 way I got the idea to try organics in coco. I thank those of you that were trying to help and give reasons why things do not work instead of mocking me and just saying no it would not work. This thread was not about trying to figure out why my grow did not go as easy as I had wanted. I made this thread to have an open talk with people to try to figure out a way to make it work for those people that wanted to try it. I have already decided to not try the dr earth fertilizer in my next grow and have ordered biotabs and plan to follow the biotabs recommended guide for that. I thought that there may be people that would like talking it out and trying to figure out the reason it would not work instead of just saying no it would not work on there.
Check out Green House Feeding's bio line, very similar to Gaia Green . I've just received mine in the post and will try it out in a couple weeks after I harvest the current batch which is in Flora Series. I grow my babies in plagron premium coco.

QUOTE="The123321, post: 4932136, member: 338359"]
Thanks. That is interesting. Have you gad any problems with making organics work in coco on there?
[/QUOTE]

It's gonna be my first time but I'm confident as iv read grow diaries of peeps using GHF bio lines with no issues. Like I said, right after harvesting this current batch next week, it's organics in the pots of coco after that.

QUOTE="The123321, post: 4932136, member: 338359"]
Thanks. That is interesting. Have you gad any problems with making organics work in coco on there?

It's gonna be my first time but I'm confident as iv read grow diaries of peeps using GHF bio lines with no issues. Like I said, right after harvesting this current batch next week, it's organics in the pots of coco after that.
[/QUOTE]

Green House Bio Feeding

BioGrow

How to use:
BioGrow needs to be mixed into the substrate. It can be used in soil,
coco or similar substrates.

It can be mixed at the time of transplantation or added later as top
dressing (mixed into the top layer of the soil)

The nutrients will be released constantly during a period of 8
weeks.*

*If the growth period is less than 8 weeks or the substrate is
pre-fertilized, doses should be decreased. Use half dosage for seedlings
and young plants (2-3 weeks old). If the growth period is longer,
a second application is required (as top dressing).

Dosage:

Vegetative growth:
3g per Liter substrate

Mother plants:
2-3g per Liter substrate every two months (as top dressing)

WARNING!

Mycelium from beneficial fungus can appear on top of the substrate.

It improves microbial life inside the substrate and will not harm humans, animals or plants.

Fungi is the main agent of the decomposition of organic matter such as simple sugars, amino acids, etc.

It solubilizes minerals that are not initially available to plants.

Green House Bio Feeding

BioGrow

How to use:
BioGrow needs to be mixed into the substrate. It can be used in soil,
coco or similar substrates.

dressing (mixed into the top layer of the soil)

weeks.*

*If the growth period is less than 8 weeks or the substrate is
pre-fertilized, doses should be decreased. Use half dosage for seedlings
and young plants (2-3 weeks old). If the growth period is longer,
a second application is required (as top dressing).

Dosage:

Vegetative growth:
3g per Liter substrate

Mother plants:
2-3g per Liter substrate every two months (as top dressing)

WARNING!

It improves microbial life inside the substrate and will not harm humans, animals or plants.

Fungi is the main agent of the decomposition of organic matter such as simple sugars, amino acids, etc.

[/QUOTE]
BioBloom

How to use:
BioBloom needs to be mixed into the substrate. It can be used in
soil, coco or similar substrates.
dressing (mixed into the top layer of the soil).
weeks.*

*Only one application is needed for up to 8 weeks flowering time. If
the flowering period is longer, a second application is required later
during the cycle (as top dressing).

Dosage:

8 weeks flowering period: 1st week = 3g/Liter substrate
10 weeks flowering period: 1st week = 2-3g/Liter substrate
3rd week = 1g/Liter substrate
12 weeks flowering period: 1st week = 3g/Liter substrate
5th week = 1g/Liter substrate

*Reduce doses for light feeder plants and pre-fertilized soils.

Warning!

Thanks. The details of the grow I am doing now that I tried this with are on this thread with images of the plants from today.

What do you think of these 2 plants on day 26?

BHqEWvM.jpg

I had problems with what looked like calmag deficiency early on that I think was from me not doing the right ph in the water for the first few times I watered the plants and I also did not put calmag in the water for the first few times I watered the plants. I then started doing that and the newer leaves look like they have less and less of the calmag deficiency. I now think I may have more nitrogen than is needed that I think is from the coco is watered more often than soil so I think if I did it again I would do less of the dry amendments in the mix and top dress more often. I plan to top dress with less than the bag recommends a few days at 30 days and then 1 more time at 60 days on there.
All things considered those plants are 4 weeks old and certainly looking a whole lot better than those some others ask for help on. I do not understand all of the negativity about your project, even now that the photos were posted. I will admit that months ago I was one of the ones who brought up why it would not work the way you had presented the project back then. People are a bit stubborn and we tend to believe that how we are doing it is the best way and everyone else should follow our example.

Personally, I really do feel that growing in a coco coir based soil mix with organic fertilizers will work. I have been considering how to make it work for about a year now. Water soluble nutrients are a must, the more the better because of the very limited availability of microorganisms. Compost style teas would be great, and needed if auto watering systems are used. I have been considering teas using Roots Organics/Aurora Innovations for starters.

I am surprised that people are not willing to take on the challenge that your grow presents. You seem willing and able to try suggestions.

One suggestion that I can make is to supplement your current cal/mag routine with an iron supplement. My plants responded well to a dose of an Iron Supplement for the Planted Aquarium. For a planted aquarium the dosage is supposed to be 1 ml per 10 gallons but my containers are 1 or 2 gallon soil mix. After mixing 2-3 ml to one gallon of water I then poured approx 1 cup water to a 1 gallon of soil container and 2 cups to a container with 2 gallons of soil. A few 5 gallon containers with soil got about 3 cups though I notice less problem with the larger pots. I figure that I am not pushing the soil and the microorganisms as much in those larger amounts of soil. I do not know what the life span or availability in the soil is. Will I have to add it again once a year or 2-3 times a year? No idea.

It seems to have worked for me. Don't know if it will work for you. The Iron Supplement was left over from a planted aquarium project. It can be purchased at most tropical fish shops but I have not seen it in the pet sections at any department store.

Enjoy the day.

Back
Top Bottom