Wick Cloner: simple, cheap and effective

Re: Wick Cloner: simple, cheap, and effective

:thanks:Im really glad you made this thread...it inspired me to do this too...The only thing i did differently was,WHen i was at my hydro store I saw some rapid rooter plugs for 25cent so i had an idea to try them with this method, Haven't checked on the roots yet as it has only been 5 days. Well i did check one about 2 days in and nothing...
:goodjob:

BUT Before i read this thread:
i did use my Roots soil about 2 weeks ago instead of rockwool to clone and i already have roots...I was so surprised. i would say a 50% success rate(lost a few weak one's) but that is better then none at all. Right! And it was my first time!!:grinjoint:

Yep, some things may have to be complicated, but this isn't one of them I hear. I haven't succeeded yet, but I have confidence in them. One of its downsides is that it is not as fast as some other methods, but I'm in no hurry. Cheap and effective were the keys for me.

Let me know how the rapid rooter plugs work with the wick cloner. I've heard it will work with rock wool cubes if they are presoaked. You may need to presoak the RRs, I don't know. Either one would be easier to introduce into most grow systems over bare root IMO.

Hey Monki, cool set up. Have you tried using rope for a wick. I got the idea from Ed Rosenthal in one of his books. I dont have it right here, but I think he used 1/2" or 5/8" rope for larger containers but I would think that it would work here too. One other thing, when they show roots, Do you just pull them and repot?

Sorry for the spelling munki

Great system...I'd rep you to but..

Hey Monki, cool set up. Have you tried using rope for a wick. I got the idea from Ed Rosenthal in one of his books. I dont have it right here, but I think he used 1/2" or 5/8" rope for larger containers but I would think that it would work here too. One other thing, when they show roots, Do you just pull them and repot?

Oh I'm sure the rope would work great. Anything that can do that wick action will do; the limiting factor usually is what you have on hand. Well I had an old T-Shirt I could sacrifice. Maybe you have an extra piece of rope from another project laying around. If so use that. Parts are interchangeable. Focus on the concept, then what you have already laying around. Go to the store to get the rest. There could be hundreds of ways to do this.

NP on the name man.

Great system...I'd rep you to but..

NP, I know how it goes. You just gotta get out there and read more threads and give out reps there. Go to different sections as people tend to concentrate to one area. Pretty soon you will have spread the love enough to start +rep'ing your old friends again.

Thanks for that tip munki, i will defiantly look into that, i am currently using some organic potting soil from Armstrongs, if you are familiar with it. Anyways its working pretty good for a little girl i just started:/

Thats so ironic about the tomatoes thing, its funny how things like that happen hahaha

Thanks for that tip munki, i will defiantly look into that, i am currently using some organic potting soil from Armstrongs, if you are familiar with it. Anyways its working pretty good for a little girl i just started:/

Thats so ironic about the tomatoes thing, its funny how things like that happen hahaha

Glad I could help. Actually, I haven't done any cannabis growing with soil yet. I started in hydro. I find soil can have so many unknown variables in it and and changes like watering and feeding take a few days to show their effects on the plants. So, when there is a problem, it can be difficult to find and treat without causing more problems. With hydro, you can dump and clean the reservoir if it became contaminated and fill it with fresh water and nutrients. Watering and feeding can be automated which is a big plus for stoners! Also, the effects will show quickly with hydro so it is easier to identify cause and effect.

I'll do soil eventually but mostly for outdoor growing along side my tomatoes ... and serranos, basil, red bell,....

Yea hydro As defiantly the way to go if you want complete control over the variables with growing cannabis. I think that it is great that you grow some of your own vegies too, because you know it is fresh and it always tastes better to for some reason(;

Yea hydro As defiantly the way to go if you want complete control over the variables with growing cannabis. I think that it is great that you grow some of your own vegies too, because you know it is fresh and it always tastes better to for some reason(;

Usually it is because it was alive within a day of eating it. Freshness.

Also, I know what went into growing it and that I didn't use pesticides. Lost a lot of leaves to fungus, but I cut them off rather than spray something nasty.

I don't think they are going to root. I didn't cut off any leaves on a lot of them and only got the get up about 1/4 inch. They stayed green for like 10 days then a few started to die off. I think they were the ones I did a check for roots earlier. When I checked a few more later on, they still did not have roots even at 13 - 14 days. I had some FFOF soil in a pot all ready to go when I didn't see roots the first time. I had it covered with a plastic bag so it wasn't dried out. I put holes in the soil with a chopstick, put in the clones with no visible roots and packed down the soil around them gently. Gave the whole pot and the three clones a good watering. I had almost a trickle level of runoff from one hole. They are still looking ok with a little bit of leaf damage showing on one leaf of the three. I'll get pics of them soon.

They are only under the 12 watt CFL still as they did not have any roots yet. If something does root, I'll have to make some sort of flower box on the cheap.

ahhh im sorry it didn't work out quite as planned, i sure hope the clones root in the soil and bounce back:) good luck

ahhh im sorry it didn't work out quite as planned, i sure hope the clones root in the soil and bounce back:) good luck

It is just an experiment at this point. I know the wick cloner will do the job. It is just in the hands of a total nOOb! I'm sure I will get better at it. I don't really have any place to put successful clones anyways.

Here are some pics. The first 2 shots were from Monday, August 24th. The last pics were from last night.

08-26-09_2.JPG

08-26-09_3.JPG

08-26-09_4.JPG

08-26-09_5.JPG

08-26-09_6.JPG

Can I resoak the rapid rooters that didnt work and try again? I didnt presoak them before. Maybe that would have helped..DUH?

I haven't used RapidRooters (RR) before so I can't say for sure. With rockwool, I did hear that presoaking for 24 hours was needed. It can take a long time to wick them to saturation, so I would try as an experiment a soaking of just one of your RRs and see how it acts. Like how long does it take to become saturated? Does it fall apart or can it be transported easily? Can it put into and back out of the cloner then placed in whatever medium and container you have chosen to have your plants eventually grow in?

Just do a kind of pretend run to see how feasible it will work before you start putting in real cuttings. Just my two cents! :;):

OK, I pulled the rest of the clones from the cloner. One didn't have visible roots, so I tossed it. Three other's did have roots. Got pictures of two of them. The third one had a tiny root at the bottom but had some roots coming out much higher on the stem, like 1 1/2 inches up! I'm sure I tore off a few of the tender roots removing the clones from the perlite even though I used the spoon to help loosen the perlite from around the clones.

I used a chopstick to poke holes in the soil in my soil pot with the other ones I inserted a while back. Don't know if those early ones will make it but they are hanging in there.

Watered the pot with some diluted vitamin B-1 solution. It is used to help cuttings set roots so I'm trying it around 1/3 strength.

08-31-09_1.JPG

08-31-09_2.JPG

08-31-09_3.JPG

Hey Munki. I tried a similar set up as yours except with plastic cups and a baking sheet that I had laying around. I started 13 clones on 8/25 and one is floating in water (you can see in the 2nd pic). I used rootex cloning powder and put the clones in perlite and I am using a 4' long flourescent fixture with 2 lamps in it. I drilled holes in the bottoms of the cups and set them in the tray. I floated one of the clones just to see if I could see root developement but I am not sure if the lights being on 24/7 is hampering root developement on that one plant or any of the plants. So far its been a week but I only see a little nub on the floating plant. I have 2 questions, 1. Will light prevent or slow down root developement. 2. Do I just carefully pull the clone out of the perlite and replant in soil? Oh one other thing, I added 1/2 teaspoon of MG fert to 1 quart of water(it probably was really diluted as there was still water in the bottom of the tray) as I noticed that some of the leaves were really turning yellow. 3 or 4 of the clones almost didnt make it but it seems like they are making a come back. Thanks for the idea.

I am not sure if I can add pics to my post. Or I am just being a knucklehead where the button to add pics to my post. Still new to forums and I think I read soooo much that I am getting double vision. I'll try to get pic up as soon as I figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom