Will 7.5 ph kill my plants in dwc system

sanjose

will 7.5 kill my plants in my dwc system i dont want to add anymore ph down to it its gon up to 7.4 a few times after i would make the ph at 6.0 then it would go back up in just a few hours

temp is about 78, im running a 1000 watt hps air cooled reflector. 3 gal buckets with airstone at bottom, useing general hydroponic nutrients for vegging (0.5 tsp/gal) and planning on switching to advanced nutes for flowering. i have gotten it down to 5.8 a few times but it keeps going back up. is it safe to keep putting downer? i read online that you should only adjust it by 0.05 a day and no more or you can cause disaster.

Dont get to excited. I would try a res change and figure out whats causing this ph spike. What are your plants started in? Is it rapid rooters? peat pucks?Rockwool? What medium are you growing in?Did you condition it for use in your system? Making sure it was a proper ph to start with? How long have they been in this system?Have you recently started using a hygrozyme type product?Notice any slimey roots? The reason I ask all this is because when I first started hydo I had a hell of a time with my ph. I have since accepted a method that works well with my needs. If you are using any type of organic starter cube or puck or rooter it will raise your ph. I found that using a hygrozyme type product accelerated it. I would get spikes into the 9's over night. High ph will lock out nutrients. With that said the only thing your doing is starving your plants.They can and will eventually die if you dont fix the problem. Not over night. You still have time.They will still get some macro and micro nutrients needed just not that NPK they really need for the best growth. If you get a chance find a nutrient up-take chart/graph. It shows at what ph plants use the most of one particular nutrient.Anyway good luck and keep posting your results.
:thumb:

temp is about 78, im running a 1000 watt hps air cooled reflector. 3 gal buckets with airstone at bottom, useing general hydroponic nutrients for vegging (0.5 tsp/gal) and planning on switching to advanced nutes for flowering. i have gotten it down to 5.8 a few times but it keeps going back up. is it safe to keep putting downer? i read online that you should only adjust it by 0.05 a day and no more or you can cause disaster.

Like WArlord said, no need to panic (yet). You have time to get it back in control.

I would dump the nutrients and start fresh. Might even clean out the res and any tubing in it.

So bring the pH down and you should be fine.

Prairie

depends on how fast your ph rises, it is normal for it to rise over a few days as the plants drink the water and leave nutes behind it plays with the ph. over 7 is high ill ph mine to 5.5 let it rise to 6.3 then drop it back down. but now that advanced has finally finalized there nutes your ph will set its self and stay at 5.9 to 6.2 constantly no fluctuation. i love advanced making growing in hydro idiot proof!!

I agree, dump the res and give it and all the components including tubing and water pumps a good cleaning. Hope you get it under controll quickly or the plants will slowly start to starve. I think of Ph as a window. In the right Ph range, the "window" is a certain size and allowes necessary ammounts of nutes to be acceptable for your plants. Each Macro and Micro nute has a different Ph "window" at which the plant can uptake the nute. The 5.5-6.0 range allowes all of the Macro nutes and most of the Micro nutes to be available for your plants as they need them.

Dont get to excited. I would try a res change and figure out whats causing this ph spike. What are your plants started in? Is it rapid rooters? peat pucks?Rockwool? What medium are you growing in?Did you condition it for use in your system? Making sure it was a proper ph to start with? How long have they been in this system?Have you recently started using a hygrozyme type product?Notice any slimey roots? The reason I ask all this is because when I first started hydo I had a hell of a time with my ph. I have since accepted a method that works well with my needs. If you are using any type of organic starter cube or puck or rooter it will raise your ph. I found that using a hygrozyme type product accelerated it. I would get spikes into the 9's over night. High ph will lock out nutrients. With that said the only thing your doing is starving your plants.They can and will eventually die if you dont fix the problem. Not over night. You still have time.They will still get some macro and micro nutrients needed just not that NPK they really need for the best growth. If you get a chance find a nutrient up-take chart/graph. It shows at what ph plants use the most of one particular nutrient.Anyway good luck and keep posting your results.
:thumb:

ph_nutrient_chart.jpg

there is no resivoir i just put water with nutes in each bucket weekly i dump the old water and clean the buckets i got them set up in 3 gal buckets with airstones at the bottom
somebody told me it was cuz the tap water i use is that true and also i got the ph to stay at 6.5 and below but somtimes it still gets to 6.7 but no higher is that ok i seen that it should be no more then 6.0 but will it hurt it if it gets to 6.5

there is no resivoir i just put water with nutes in each bucket weekly i dump the old water and clean the buckets i got them set up in 3 gal buckets with airstones at the bottom
somebody told me it was cuz the tap water i use is that true and also i got the ph to stay at 6.5 and below but somtimes it still gets to 6.7 but no higher is that ok i seen that it should be no more then 6.0 but will it hurt it if it gets to 6.5

It shouldn't be a huge problem. I normally run right about 6.0 pH. I don't worry about pH until it starts hitting around 6.5, then I bring it down to 5.5 or so. It will climb back up in about three days. Add some plain pH water at that time, then replace all nuts at end of the week.

Prairie

From my own short DWC experience and that of a friend doing it forever, 5.7-6.4 is fine with 5.8-6.2 optimal. He actually runs 5.8-5.9 during veg and 6.1-6.2 during flower with awesome results.

7.5 (6.5-7.0 for soil) is a little high for soil grows, real high (nute lock) for hydro.

WillyB

Back
Top Bottom