Window AC Temperature Control Wonky

Koolbudz

Well I have been dealing with this brand new Amazon Basics Window Ac Unit, it seemed like the temperature differential was 8-10 degrees which when trying to run the edge of temp, keeping VPD optimum and without the benefit of CO2, it can feel like a never ending battle (believe me).

So I not only had to take apart this thing and paint the vent black due to the white foam interior allowing so much light thru I would never attempt to flower with it unpainted. Now mind you regular spray paint will eat the foam and then games over, so I had to get Acrylic Matte Black Craft Paint a stick and little paint brush to accomplish the black out..... (trying to find out a definite answer on what paint to use was no joke)

Now then on to my OCD, I could have dealt with the temp swings being 10 degrees but I dont care for it so I got to looking and thinking and noticed the sensor on the front of the unit sits right on the radiator condensor thingy that gets cold, the sensor wire was also zip tied to the elbows which I would imaging freon flows through because it gets cold.... So I unclipped the wire, pulled the sensor away from the radiator thing and hung it out front allowing it to be more open to the rooms air.... Now my temp swing is 4 degrees....

Not only will this allow me tighter control which should benefit my grow substantially...

Try to find a ac unit with a black plastic vent interior, it will save u lots of time and headache...

Good job, I have a window AC in my grow shed, sounds like I need to relocate my temp sensor as well, temp in room never comes down to my set temp. In hindsight, they do sell window AC's with temp sensor located in the remote control.

Good job, I have a window AC in my grow shed, sounds like I need to relocate my temp sensor as well, temp in room never comes down to my set temp. In hindsight, they do sell window AC's with temp sensor located in the remote control.

Hope it works out, so far its keeping temps right on.... my sensor was behind the front cover, behind the filter and strapped to an ice cold radiator/condensor, the only way it seemed to work sort of close to correct before my mod was to have a fan blowing directly on the unit which makes no sense to have to air sources fighting each other.
118995135_3662964477065895_958206976466313704_n.jpg
119094852_702121827181423_8864664189653235416_n.jpg

Amazon products are starting to show lots of flaws. Pretty sure I won't be buying any of their stuff for growing. Might be better going with brand named products for important shit.

By the way. Great HACK.

Ac working like a charm now.... Just wish I would have sealed my room better but would need to be permannet and wife wasnt into that so.....Yeah....:confused:

Amazon products are starting to show lots of flaws. Pretty sure I won't be buying any of their stuff for growing. Might be better going with brand named products for important shit.

No doubt. An arsonist hardly even has to worry about getting convicted these days; just have a bunch of random Amazon Basics garbage sent to the future victim's house and wait :rofl:.

I guess the rule now is, when in doubt, send a greedy evil mofo more money.

Another important reason to NOT buy an Amazon A/C unit.........

Went into my room this morning and a/c kicked on, whole wall was shaking !!!!

A/C unit seemed out of balance, looked outside, tiny bit of frost, not more than an 1/8", I mean I didnt even slip on my deck wearing slippers so it's extremely minimal.

So I got to thinking, there is only one reason why it would shake like that, so I got a jug of hot tap water, went out and poured it over a/c and you could hear little ice chips and a/c calmed down...

Guess I will have to cover this thing or get screwed once winter comes.... (Snow n ice)

STAY AWAY FROM AMAZON BASICS A/C UNITS THEY ARE NOT A GOOD DEAL UNLESS YOU LIVE WHERE IT'S VERY HOT THEN THEY MAY WORK -OK-

I would not buy one then either though....

I think less and less of the company every day. But, to be fair, not everyone runs a window air conditioner unit in below freezing temperatures :rofl: .
That is true.... I kinda figure there might be more R&D done when you plug it into your life savings (your home), guess I expect too much from multi billion dollar companies, probably why I am not one...

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING..... DO NOT BUY AMAZON WINDOW AC UNITS.....

Woke up to a grow at 127°F !!!!

AC blowing hot air....Ac unit froze up INSIDE!!!!

Plants laying down, leaves crisped up.... DUCK AMAZON
1016200905a.jpg

You can't run an AC unit with outdoor temps below 60°. It will ice up the condenser.
Not a problem with the AC. A problem with it's operation.

Will Running AC in Cold Weather Damage It?
It’s true that running air conditioners in cold weather is a bad idea. Air conditioners with condensing units are not designed to be run in cold weather at all. The units contain oil that is designed to lubricate the compressor, and that oil is a heavy grade that works best in warm conditions. When the weather gets cold, the oil becomes thicker, and will not lubricate the compressor properly.

If AC compressors contained lighter grade oil, then they would work in the winter, but you’d have the opposite problem. In the summer, the oil would heat up to the point that it wouldn’t provide enough lubrication and the compressor would be at risk of damage. Most people don’t want to cool their homes when it’s already cold outside, so it makes sense for HVAC manufacturers to use those summer-weight oils. Another issue with using air conditioners in the cold is that if there is condensation on the cooling coil, it may freeze and damage the unit.

Yep Amazon sucks. I really hate their new commercials. They brag about going electric to save the planet. They wouldn't be in that situation if they hadn't put all the small home town stores out of business!

Being in the middle of nowhere. I have to admit that I get most of my growing supplies from Amazon. Pretty sure that makes me a hypocrite. Even though I have no local stores to get these products. It is people like me that are to lazy to drive a few hours to get what they need. So they use a company they disagree with. Now that I have called myself out I might need to change my ways.

You can't run an AC unit with outdoor temps below 60°. It will ice up the condenser.
Not a problem with the AC. A problem with it's operation.

Will Running AC in Cold Weather Damage It?
It’s true that running air conditioners in cold weather is a bad idea. Air conditioners with condensing units are not designed to be run in cold weather at all. The units contain oil that is designed to lubricate the compressor, and that oil is a heavy grade that works best in warm conditions. When the weather gets cold, the oil becomes thicker, and will not lubricate the compressor properly.

If AC compressors contained lighter grade oil, then they would work in the winter, but you’d have the opposite problem. In the summer, the oil would heat up to the point that it wouldn’t provide enough lubrication and the compressor would be at risk of damage. Most people don’t want to cool their homes when it’s already cold outside, so it makes sense for HVAC manufacturers to use those summer-weight oils. Another issue with using air conditioners in the cold is that if there is condensation on the cooling coil, it may freeze and damage the unit.

Never had a problem with my cheap little ac unit.... This one I have.... The design is poor. When this dies which I dont see it lasting at all, I may do a tear down of both units and show the differences...

Wow! After reading this thread I'm glad my 1970's (maybe very early 80's) Sears and Roebuck unit I bought from Habit from Humanity for $20 15 years ago still works.
No digital controls to worry about and freon works so much better than the new stuff.

Back
Top Bottom