Yellowing leaves

NikoGrow

420 Member
Hi guys, new grower here.
I've been trying to grow so far 4 plants. They seemed happy until couple of days ago. There was no major changes in the environment or anything like that. I am growing in soil (all purpose) and using LED 120W (I know this is not enough). For some reason some of the leaves in 3 of the plants(bigger ones) started to curl down a bit and become yellow at the ends.
Temperature in tent is: 28.6C
Humidity: %46 (usually is around 37 but since I watered them yesterday it went higher)
Haven't measured any pH levels of the soil because is currently wet, but will do once dried. Also I am expecting today a water ppm since I live in UK and water is pretty hard in here.
Check the pics I will upload and let me know what do you think, I looked up another threads but it always seemed my problem is different.

IMG_4395.JPG
IMG_4393(1).JPG
IMG_4392.JPG
IMG_4394(1).JPG

I do not use any nutes or anything to interfere the natural growth of the plants. Any ideas what can cause this?

Best,

Niko

Hey man.
It might be lacking magnesium.
You can google cannabis deficiency charts.
Or iron maybe.

Attachments

• Magnesium-deficiency-SensiSeeds-1-1920x1013.jpg
    Magnesium-deficiency-SensiSeeds-1-1920x1013.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 53
  • iron-deficiency-cannabis.jpg
    iron-deficiency-cannabis.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 144
Was a Durban poison and amnesia hase. W
Make sure you add extra Cal-Mag coco notorious for this deficiency, add 45 ml per 5 gal of water.:Namaste:
He is growing in soil with no nutrients. Soil deficiency ;)

Attachments

• 420-magazine-mobile710674214.jpg
    420-magazine-mobile710674214.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 420-magazine-mobile1689985791.jpg
    420-magazine-mobile1689985791.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 61
I havent grown in coco at all yet but if i was diagnosing that plant, i'd start with this:

1. Soil - that doesnt look like your roots are going to enjoy drowning in heavy soil like that, as in you need some perlite mixed with that. How long in between feeds are you doing and how much runoff?

2. If you're not feeding nutes but just plain water, whats the PPM of the water in and the water out of plant? This should have been the first thing you purchased when growing without nutrients. You'll want to measure your runoff after a good drench with atleast 50% of your tray filled. If the PPM is rather low for the stage of your plant, you can confirm its a deficiency and not something else like a nutrient block or other things like pests or root/ph issues.

3. Now if you confirm ppm is indeed a high or fair number, checking your Ph to confirm its within acceptable ranges of 6.0 to 7.0 in soil (coco too? dunno, i think 5.8 is acceptable and liked in coco). What i do in soil is alternate ph from 6.0 to 6.5 every feeding, so it gets the low and high ranges of nutrients.

4. If your Ph is in the acceptable range AND PPM is acceptable, you can now rule out the likelyhood of ph issues, lockouts, toxicity's and that sort. This means you've narrowed it down to either root issues or Bugs.

Given you said they were droopy, thats a sign of overwatering or lack of oxygen to your roots due to the lack of perlite and the soil being too thickly wet for too long. Keep in mind anything is still possible, im sure somebody out there has had an acceptable ppm and turned out it was a lockout due to a toxicity of something else.
Regarding Cal/mag, i always add 1 tsp per gallon of water to all water in. Plants love calmag. I use Calimagic which is a light feeding of calmag so its a good extra to help avoid calcium and magnesium deficiency's. It does look like you have some slight yellowing between veins but also something else going on there.

Hopefully this gets you started, good luck!

I havent grown in coco at all yet but if i was diagnosing that plant, i'd start with this:

1. Soil - that doesnt look like your roots are going to enjoy drowning in heavy soil like that, as in you need some perlite mixed with that. How long in between feeds are you doing and how much runoff?

2. If you're not feeding nutes but just plain water, whats the PPM of the water in and the water out of plant? This should have been the first thing you purchased when growing without nutrients. You'll want to measure your runoff after a good drench with atleast 50% of your tray filled. If the PPM is rather low for the stage of your plant, you can confirm its a deficiency and not something else like a nutrient block or other things like pests or root/ph issues.

3. Now if you confirm ppm is indeed a high or fair number, checking your Ph to confirm its within acceptable ranges of 6.0 to 7.0 in soil (coco too? dunno, i think 5.8 is acceptable and liked in coco). What i do in soil is alternate ph from 6.0 to 6.5 every feeding, so it gets the low and high ranges of nutrients.

4. If your Ph is in the acceptable range AND PPM is acceptable, you can now rule out the likelyhood of ph issues, lockouts, toxicity's and that sort. This means you've narrowed it down to either root issues or Bugs.

Given you said they were droopy, thats a sign of overwatering or lack of oxygen to your roots due to the lack of perlite and the soil being too thickly wet for too long. Keep in mind anything is still possible, im sure somebody out there has had an acceptable ppm and turned out it was a lockout due to a toxicity of something else.

I have doubts that might be lack of oxygen. I will inspect closely after making a few more holes for better airflow. Regarding the ppm - amazon says its 2 stops away, so we shall see soon.

Given its only a bit over 100 watts, that should be fine. I've had plants as close as 4 inches from the top, mostly to learn my light and see at what level causes the top leaves to start curling upwards (meaning light too close, back off). 30cm = 12 inches so thats fair.

Given its only a bit over 100 watts, that should be fine. I've had plants as close as 4 inches from the top, mostly to learn my light and see at what level causes the top leaves to start curling upwards (meaning light too close, back off). 30cm = 12 inches so thats fair.
So I just measured the PPM and stands at 415ppm. What does that say?

So I just measured the PPM and stands at 415ppm. What does that say?

They are in party cups or equivalent size right? The moment the leaves started overtaking the cups perimeter is usually when you transplant to either 3Gallon minimum or bigger. Good opportunity to add perlite to that soil, its very likely to be an issue later on if you dont. In fact you could check for root rot or rootbound roots while you're transplanting.

How old are your plants? 400 ppm isnt going to cut it for much longer at that size best i can estimate. In late stages of veg you want that ppm in the 800 to 1200 range, some even go a little higher. In flower some go as high as 1800, im usually at 1400 before i see some tip burn from nutrients. When my plants were your size, it was day 20. Day 1 to 20 i was feeding at 400 to 500 ppm max, at day 20 i took it up to 900 ppm and kept it in the high 1000's and let it drop to 800 before feeding it more nutrients again. Something like that.

They are in party cups or equivalent size right? The moment the leaves started overtaking the cups perimeter is usually when you transplant to either 3Gallon minimum or bigger. Good opportunity to add perlite to that soil, its very likely to be an issue later on if you dont. In fact you could check for root rot while you're transplanting.

How old are your plants? 400 ppm isnt going to cut it for much longer at that size best i can estimate. In late stages of veg you want that ppm in the 800 to 1200 range, some even go a little higher. In flower some go as high as 1800, im usually at 1400 before i see some tip burn from nutrients. When my plants were your size, it was day 20. Day 1 to 20 i was feeding at 400 to 500 ppm max, at day 20 i took it up to 900 ppm and kept it in the high 1000's and let it drop to 800 before feeding it more nutrients again. Something like that.
The plants would be a month old in a week. I guess I would have to provide some nutrients as well so I can make them happy looking babies again.

well the new soil will provide some, but yes you are going to need nutrients. Find a line you like and just follow their feeding schedule and the plants will definitely improve. The transplant you can do asap tho, that'll give it some nutes from the new soil as well as space to spread out more. Dont forget that perlite! atleast 20% perlite to 80% soil.

well the new soil will provide some, but yes you are going to need nutrients. Find a line you like and just follow their feeding schedule and the plants will definitely improve. The transplant you can do asap tho, that'll give it some nutes from the new soil as well as space to spread out more. Dont forget that perlite! atleast 20% perlite to 80% soil.
All done! Now I just need to be patient and fingers crossed. :volcano-smiley:

Regarding Cal/mag, i always add 1 tsp per gallon of water to all water in. Plants love calmag. I use Calimagic which is a light feeding of calmag so its a good extra to help avoid calcium and magnesium deficiency's. It does look like you have some slight yellowing between veins but also something else going on there.

You right about that. Compa
All done! Now I just need to be patient and fingers crossed. :volcano-smiley:
That was quick!!
Emergency!

Stop... everyone. Sheesh.

So far we have:

Mg deficiency
Cal/Mag needed
low oxygen
PPMs are off
Ph is off

Did I miss anything?

OK so lets just say we adjust for everything on the list. How long wood you think the plants gonna live?

OP is in soil.

How big are the pots the plants are in?

Looks like at least 1 is in a solo cup??

Here's what I see - root bound plants, try up-potting to new larger pot with some more soil.

I get plants with yellow margins, leaves dying and falling off, all sorts of stuff.
No panic. Sheesh... my leaf is yellow. Yeah and there's going to be a shit ton more of them turning yellow in the future IF you let everything work the way nature intended. All your trees aren't dying outside.. aren't the leaves turning yellow?? Yes its the same thing with annual plants.

Its a weed, it grows fairly well without human input.

Don't over think
Don't knee jerk over react
Start looking and listening to your plants.
Water is a good thing hard to over water after 3-4 weeks old.
If running tap water let it sit out over night.
Leave out Cal/Mag - its not a thing
no such thing as a Magnesium deficiency. (show me some science on how that would even happen)
get your compost/humus right, very little to worry about.

Original problem = root bound but I cant seen the size of the containers but that's what my plants look like when they are root bound.

They are not going to die, they will get yellow leaves and those leaves are going to fall off. Completely normal. Up pot will work then your plants will get bigger and healthier.

Stop... everyone. Sheesh.

So far we have:

Mg deficiency
Cal/Mag needed
low oxygen
PPMs are off
Ph is off

Did I miss anything?

OK so lets just say we adjust for everything on the list. How long wood you think the plants gonna live?

OP is in soil.

How big are the pots the plants are in?

Looks like at least 1 is in a solo cup??

Here's what I see - root bound plants, try up-potting to new larger pot with some more soil.

I get plants with yellow margins, leaves dying and falling off, all sorts of stuff.
No panic. Sheesh... my leaf is yellow. Yeah and there's going to be a shit ton more of them turning yellow in the future IF you let everything work the way nature intended. All your trees aren't dying outside.. aren't the leaves turning yellow?? Yes its the same thing with annual plants.

Its a weed, it grows fairly well without human input.

Don't over think
Don't knee jerk over react
Start looking and listening to your plants.
Water is a good thing hard to over water after 3-4 weeks old.
If running tap water let it sit out over night.
Leave out Cal/Mag - its not a thing
no such thing as a Magnesium deficiency. (show me some science on how that would even happen)
get your compost/humus right, very little to worry about.

Original problem = root bound but I cant seen the size of the containers but that's what my plants look like when they are root bound.

They are not going to die, they will get yellow leaves and those leaves are going to fall off. Completely normal. Up pot will work then your plants will get bigger and healthier.

Actually I was thinking the same. Why the hell we bother so much with all those nutes and etc. Plants don't grow like this in nature, do they? However, I have moved them to big 10L pots and they seem happy so far. The problem does not show on the new leaves so I assume it was really the small pots they were in to. Thank you for bringing some confidence and calmness in this situation! I will post pics soon enough they become bigger. Thanks again and keep smoking!

Hi guys/girls! Thank you for your comments and advice you helped with. Here are some pics from last night when I came back from holiday. Later on I will post better ones, since I am waiting for the plants to wake up. Before I left them alone for a week I was afraid of the light being too close so I raised it up a bit but apparently wasn't enough as they got some burn at the tips of the leaves. However, they look good overall. The bushiest one got some holes on the leaves which I am not sure what caused that. There was a leaf which look like "eaten" from something. Will post later as I said. Here's the pics from last night:
IMG_4693.JPGIMG_4690(1).JPGIMG_4687.JPGIMG_4686(1).JPG

Back
Top Bottom