Yellowing Nodes After Topping

Wintastic

Hello fellow growers!

Maybe I'm just overreacting, but she's showing some weird signs. Yellowing new growth. I tried doing some research but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

420-magazine-mobile1609002031.jpg

I have one plant and she's 22 days old.

420-magazine-mobile381334182.jpg

Premium potting soil w/ mycoactive

Temperatures 18c/24c lights off/on respectively.

RH 45-60

I have yet to test runoff ph. But I am watering with water mixed with nutes with a ph of around 6.7

Feeding General Hydroponics.
420-magazine-mobile2035703916.jpg

I water when the soil is about 3/4inch dry on the top.

I topped her a day or two ago. I cut really close to the new growth so I probably did it incorrectly. I barely removed any plant material when "topping" it.

I'm concerned about the yellowing of the new growth. Should I do something different? Any advice would be great!

I agree. As an aside what is premium potting soil? Specifically, what is in it? Does it have time release nutrients? If so, I'd recommend potting her in something that you have better control of.

Now that you mention it it does state there is slow release fertilizer, but it is 0-0-0
Pro-Mix Potting Mix | Canadian Tire

You should find out what's in it and how it works. If it were me, I'd re-pot them into something else. When something goes wrong (and it will) you want to be able to eliminate possible causes. Whatever you use will have a specific PH range for watering and its own characteristics. You really need to understand what those are to get the most out of your grow. :cheer:

Thank you all for the input. Your suggestion to actually find out what is in it was a great idea. The labelling mentions "controlled fertilizer release" which is eerily similar to Miracle-Grow stuff. It definitely has nutes in it already so I decided to repot it.

I got some really basic potting soil. It's actually made by the same company as the other stuff. It doesn't have a guaranteed minimum analysis which strikes me that it really has nothing special added. I checked the companies site and it does not mention anything about fertilizer in it.

It wasn't the nicest consistency so I sort of hand tilled the soil. I broke up all the pieces and removed all the woody matter.

Potting Soil | Premier Tech Home and Garden

Hopefully she doesn't get angry at me from the transplant. It seemed to go well so I don't anticipate poor results. Thanks for the advice!

You're welcome, but probably not quite done. What size pot is your plant in now? You should want to add perlite. I note that it says it already has it in, but is it enough? I think you should be looking at 25% or more, but you might want to research it a bit. This keeps the soil from clumping and allows for much more air into the soil around the roots, which makes for better roots ergo thicker, more stable plant. It also retains water. If you are using the same size pots as in the picture, you need to put them into much bigger ones fairly soon anyway. I would recommend the air pots, but anything around 4-5 gallons.

When I re-pot I wait until the plant needs water, so the soil is dryish. I prepare the new soil dry. When I'm happy with the consistancy I put a bit aside and soak the rest in the new pot with PH'd water and about 1/4 to half strength root neuts if you have them. If not, don't worry about it. Mix it by hand and make sure everything is wet. Then dig a hole roughly the size that will accomodate the plant with roots and the soil that it's currently holding.

Very gently tilt the pot with the plant and tap it out or dig around the sides so it's ready to fall out. The idea is to not disturb the roots. If you lose some you wont kill the plant, but the idea is to transfer with all the roots which means a chunk of the soil as well. Put the plant in the hole and fill in with the dry soil that you put aside. Give the dry soil a very light water. Enough so the plant is stable. You really want the roots to search out the new wet soil and enough of it will leach into the dry soil to see that happen.

Anyway. I am not an experienced grower. This is my second grow, which means I've made the same mistakes. I started with miracle grow and that was the least of my problems. I switched to something called Canna Terra Pro Plus, which has mostly pluses and some minuses. I don't think it matters that much, so long as you understand the specific properties of what you are using. Grow mediums are not all the same. Your soil will probably want a PH of 6.5 after you have mixed up your neuts (mine is 5.8-6.2 depending). You need to try and verify that, but that would be my guess.

You're welcome, but probably not quite done. What size pot is your plant in now? You should want to add perlite. I note that it says it already has it in, but is it enough? I think you should be looking at 25% or more, but you might want to research it a bit. This keeps the soil from clumping and allows for much more air into the soil around the roots, which makes for better roots ergo thicker, more stable plant. It also retains water. If you are using the same size pots as in the picture, you need to put them into much bigger ones fairly soon anyway. I would recommend the air pots, but anything around 4-5 gallons.

I added a bunch of extra perlite yeah. Forgot to mention that in last post.

I can't really afford to go with a huge pot as I have very little room for the grow. The idea here is not really yields, but going through the process and see what works well and what doesn't. Learning is my goal here. Thanks for looking out for a fellow grower, as most people are going for maximum yields I would think.

Thanks again for your help. I should've paid more attention to the ingredients and guaranteed minimum analysis. Lesson learned!

Back
Top Bottom