CFL Reflector How to.

CalVet420

Ok I saw something similar to this one day, and I have no idea where it was.

This is how I make the CFL reflectors that I use in my veg area.
cfl_reflecter_in_use.JPG

Ok here’s what you need:
1.) * An empty soda can.
2.) * 1 utility knife (box cutter), Razor…..
3.) * Tape. (I use aluminum Ducting tape) but any tape for the edges will do.
4.) 1 pair of diagonal cutters
5.) 1 marker
6.) Something hard with a rounded end on one side and flat on the other.
7.) 1 mallet
8.) A piece of wood or something that you won’t break when you hit #6 with #7.
9.) Light (I just get the Ge26w "daylight" CFL blubs for vegging. $8 for a 2 pack)

items_needed.JPG

Ok, lets get started.
Step one: Light it up and get in the mood. Just not too much, the edges of the can are sharp.
purple_loaded.JPG

***CAREFUL SHARP EDGES***

-Ok now you want to rinse out your soda can.
-Look at the top of the can and mark the edges of the opening.
-Turn the can sideways and mark the side where it begins to taper in.
-On the side of the can, put 2 marks on the same place of the bottom of the can as on the top so you don’t cut too far.
-Mark around the top and bottom of the can from one side of the mouth to the other.
-I put a 45 deg mark at the top of the can.
-Now you need to cut along the top and bottom of the can.

mark_and_cut.JPG

-Use your dikes to cut the top of the can.
-I bend the loose part of the can that I cut out in half to give me a line where the middle is.

cut_the_top.JPG

-Cut the middle so you can bend this tab in.

cut_the_middle.JPG

-cut the corners at 45 degrees so they aren’t pointy. (ouch!! The corners are sharp on your arms when you reach past them. Trust me.)

cut_the_corners_45_deg.JPG

-bend the can to give it a general shape.

CAREFUL SHAP EDGES

sharp_edges.JPG

-Tape the edges. Even if you don’t have aluminum ducting tape.

tape_the_edges.JPG

-If you have Aluminum tape, keep going across the bottom surface of the can.

tape_the_edges.JPG

-Now turn the can over and push in the tapered part to make it flat.

crease_in_the_top_and_bottom_edges.JPG

-Now for dimpling. This took a while. Don’t hit too hard or you’ll go through.

keep_dimpling.JPG

-After dimpling the whole surface, shape the can and mount it on your bulb.

top_of_mounted_cfl_reflecter.JPG

light_side_mounted_reflecter.JPG

lit_up_cfl.JPG

that looks a little more complicated.
Not really. A piece of sheet metal, tin snips and a few rivets and voila! A reflector is born.:cheesygrinsmiley: I make a lot of my own stuff. being on a fixed income makes it neccessary. I make my own kiff boxes and i even made a nice squeeze power hitter out of a mustard bottle. That tutorial is here somewhere.lol
10_1_.jpg

Hey CV,

How did you mount the bulb? Did the base of the bulb tape to the can or?

\ooo/

Yup just I just taped it on there. You'll want to clean the bulb where you're gonna tape with Isoproyl Alcohol or something to make sure the tape stays when the bulb heats up.

If anyone comes up with or knows a better way to attach a can to a CFL please feel free to share.

too much co2?

:bigtoke:i got a propane torch that put on really low and run a fan on low while the torch burns.
i wish i could measure the co2 and co levels without paying alot of money for a meter.
i do this like 4 or5 times a day for 20 mins each time.
could this be to much co2? i do the seltzer spray too.

:bigtoke:i got a propane torch that put on really low and run a fan on low while the torch burns.
i wish i could measure the co2 and co levels without paying alot of money for a meter.
i do this like 4 or5 times a day for 20 mins each time.
could this be to much co2? i do the seltzer spray too.

:eek:fftopic: I don't see where this is remotely relevant to how to make a CFL reflector.

Yup just I just taped it on there. You'll want to clean the bulb where you're gonna tape with Isoproyl Alcohol or something to make sure the tape stays when the bulb heats up.

If anyone comes up with or knows a better way to attach a can to a CFL please feel free to share.
Hose clamps maybe? Not sure of it would be better but it's a option.lol

Question a friend recommended white oaktag to use as a reflector?
Is that ok? Anothet member has discouraged cardboard because growers have started fires. Is the same caution apply to white oaktag or like a presentation board

I don't know if that would prvide enough reflectivity to be affective. If people think it might catch fire then it may. Are you going to use the board, then line it with something that will reflect the heat and light like aluminume tape?

If you leave the surface flat, you'll end up with light hot spots that can cause issues.
Dimpleing the surfuce mixes up the light waves and provides a much more even light.

cheers

Thanks man, I knew someone that knew why I did what I did would finally tell me. :ganjamon:

Hey I am really interested in how you sealed the glass in I have a 600 watt lume wing reflector made by c.a.p. but it makes my grow room too hot I was thinking of building a box with glass bottom around the reflector and then puting 4" holes on each side of box to run inline fans through ducting. Do you think this will work?

Back
Top Bottom