In bucket DWC auto top up valve

LEDBud

I think these are going to work they are on order I will keep this thread updated with the use of them.

Name - Floating Ball Valve Automatic Water Level Control

I bought one for each bucket and will add a overflow to each as a safety catch.

57_A01.JPG

Plan is to make a root barrier to protect the lower vent holes.

57_A02.JPG

57_A03.JPG

They are 1/2" connectors and require 0.43 PSI to operate and are of nylon construction.

5 Gal bucket has 0.65 PSI and will increase the higher its raised above the outlet.

27 inches of water any sized column has 1 psi water pressure

Screen_Shot_2012-10-31_at_6_51_44_AM.png

I will be starting the grow in 4 weeks all the parts should of arrived or it will be 5 weeks..

I have been re-thinking the plan and am going to go a different route and abandon the gravity system for now. I will have the valves on hand so they may find a use in a future build yet.

Why I changed the plan ?

After thinking longer on it and its weaknesses I lost faith in it.

More so the reliability of the valves when in the buckets and to make the gravity system work the reserve needs be raised off the cool floor.
I don't want that..

So now I plan to pump nutrients to the buckets which will have a overflow to drain back to the 30L controller. The controllers pump will be on a timer to auto top the buckets as needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the main reserve I picked up one of those grey 20G brute totes and a Bilge pump with float to auto fill the 30L controller.

The float goes upside down in the controller and obviously the pump in the 20G ..

The system will have Zero grommet holes below the waterline on any of the containers , the 5G buckets drains are at the waterline to maintain the water level below the net pots.

From the 20G to the 30L controller

Attwood_nilge_pump.JPG

I will be using 4x 5G buckets this time , in April Canada is legalizing Cannabis so am likely to use more buckets shortly after , right now I'm limited.

My goal is to make it self depended for at least a week

`````````````````````

Had a look at the post here is the pic of two buckets on the floor one with a top up valve one with a tube but could not find the explanation of its placement or mechanical / gravity function

I am curious what you had in mind also do you use it and if not why ?

IMG_28688.JPG

I am going a completely different route , what did you end up doing for top ups ?

did you abandon the gravity system if so why ?

People who read this may not want to bother with it for similar reasons insight into its non use is helpful

Often plans look good at first but are not once examined , like my first idea ..

It is a gravity return to the reservoir from the grow buckets..... I usually run 3 waterfarms modified this way, with a 5 gal res that i check and top off daily... If you don't get how this works after reading the entire thread, i don't know how to make it any simpler... check my mixed hydro thread.... the results speak for itself...

Face it you made a fail and cannot admit it

You just made it and your not using it ... and won't say why ! lmao as when people clam up they are hiding something

Your being very difficult I don't understand why , lets drop the nonsense speak up

Explain the systems shortcomings would you already ... must be a reason your not using it and that reason may matter to others..

My whole point is to help others not lead them where I would not go or suggest builds I would not use myself

Which is why I posted my correction

I know not everyone cares like I do but this thread matters to me I have hopes of it having solid useful information eventually, I actually think I nailed it this time but as always time will tell ..

what did I learn

Keep the water / nutrients low down on the cool floor , at all costs.

Use gravity for the drain not supply line

The build could very but those two points are all important to me , I'm without a chiller

30L controller being fed by a 77L reserve via bilge pump and float

30L controller with pump on timer to top up 5G buckets which drain back into controller when the level is reached.

Everything will be on the ground no higher then 18 inches tall making for the coolest nutrients the room can offer.

Its no easy task designing a system that is both simple and works nicely in the areas that matter , my 2nd plan turned out to be nearly as bad as the first plan , a poor design.

New plan

4 buckets joined by 1 1/4" flex tubing at the water level draining into a 3/4 full 20g brute tote holding nutrients and a 80 Gph pump with return line leading to the first bucket in the line.

Using the small 8w pump it should recirculate the nutrients 3x or 4x a hour keeping the buckets topped up

I will be building over the next few days still need 1 1/4 grommets.

Back
Top Bottom