Outdoor Greenhouse Grow Pots Or No Pots?

savingson

I built a greenhouse for my girls and now comes the questions to Pot or go straight in the ground? I have the option to amend the soil however I want which seems to be a little more cost efficient. But I live in an area where we do get some bad thunderstorms and tornado warnings in the summer. I was thinking of putting them in pots so I can bring them in. The greenhouse is very sturdy and is in the ground at a depth of 2 feet. But when you spend so much time on you girls you don't want to risk anything if you know what I mean LOL. So what do my 420 peeps think? Pot or go straight in the ground? My Greenhouse is 16'L x 7.5'H x 4'W. Plenty of growing space.
420-magazine-mobile1776122974.jpg
420-magazine-mobile634566933.jpg

Cool greenhouse. Watcha gonna do for temperature and humidity control? (Just wondering.)

Are the neighbors gonna wonder about what's inside? Maybe surround it with tomatoes and sunflowers so it looks innocuous?

I live in an area where we do get some bad thunderstorms and tornado warnings in the summer. I was thinking of putting them in pots so I can bring them in.

LOL. I can't help but get this image of the storm gathering, Wizard of Oz style--the sky darkening, the wind whipping, and the rain starting. And there's the mad stoner, hauling his bushy, five-foot-tall plants anchored in great 30-pound pots of soil one by one out of the flapping greenhouse and into the storm cellar. "The tornado took the house, but I saved my babies!"

So pots by all means. :)

Thinking about this, I remembered that there are a bunch of Jorge Cervantes videos on YouTube in which he's visiting an outdoor growing facility that has GIANT plants. One of the factors in the big size according to the guy he interviews is that the plants are in the ground and not in containers. He says that even when you have really big containers, like the giant above-ground grow boxes people have, that container size can still be a limiting factor and that plants put into well-prepared ground with no confines always grow bigger.

I tried to find the video again, but there are so many I got lost. Here's one of them just FYI: Grow Marijuana: Oregon Sungrown Growers Guild Big Marijuana Plants - YouTube

Thinking about this, I remembered that there are a bunch of Jorge Cervantes videos on YouTube in which he's visiting an outdoor growing facility that has GIANT plants. One of the factors in the big size according to the guy he interviews is that the plants are in the ground and not in containers. He says that even when you have really big containers, like the giant above-ground grow boxes people have, that container size can still be a limiting factor and that plants put into well-prepared ground with no confines always grow bigger.

I tried to find the video again, but there are so many I got lost. Here's one of them just FYI: Grow Marijuana: Oregon Sungrown Growers Guild Big Marijuana Plants - YouTube

Great minds think alike, Scientific... I told S, on her journal, that I saw a Jorge Cervantes video on youtube where they were showing off those IMMENSE fabric 'pots'... but I couldn't find that specific video again when I went to look for it!

Omg I giggled reading this. Yes Scientific lol (still giggling) I will be that crazy LADY :) hauling in big ass plants. Omg Im still laughing. The side near the porch rolls up and I have screen there. So I can open it up on hot days. Im hopeful it will work. Im in a legal state so not worried about neighbors. Im the garden lady around here. Im not friendly w my neighbors. Hi how are you thats it. I learned YEARS ago never befriend your neighbors or co workers lol. I keep to myself and dont have company over/parties etc.... I will be planting LOTS of other things. I have tomatoes Native American Tobacco and other things going in w my girls. And a few of veggies outside. 12 plants are going in. ;)
420-magazine-mobile1298147555.jpg

Omg I giggled reading this. Yes Scientific lol (still giggling) I will be that crazy LADY :) hauling in big ass plants. Omg Im still laughing. The side near the porch rolls up and I have screen there. So I can open it up on hot days. Im hopeful it will work. Im in a legal state so not worried about neighbors. Im the garden lady around here. Im not friendly w my neighbors. Hi how are you thats it. I learned YEARS ago never befriend your neighbors or co workers lol. I keep to myself and dont have company parties etc.... I will be planting LOTS of other things. I have tomatoes Native American Tobacco and other things going in w my girls. And a few of veggies outside. 12 plants are going in. ;)

Are you really planting tobacco???!!! I was just discussing this with another 420 member. You know my story so it's no surprise that I can't give up my nicotine. Especially here in Italy. Everyone still smokes cigarettes openly. I would LOVE to have my own organic vegan grown tobacco!! I grew up in southern Maryland and on our property we had an old tobacco barn that i swear the sweet smell of curing tobacco had seeped in to its bones! It smells so good... until you light it... lol. I haven't researched it at all. Is it a difficult plant to grow? Would one or two plants be enough to grow a decent amount of smokable product? I know the curing process is the most important with tobacco.

Where did you get the tobacco seeds?

Sorry I'm so nosy ... just really interested.

XxKitty

This will be my first attempt at growing tobacco. I am also a tobacco smoker unfortunately. Everything that I have researched seems like it's just like growing marijuana. They need nutrients, Well-drained soil etc.... A buddy of mine sent me some Hopi tobacco, Hopi corn, and other seeds I wont mention here lol. They germinated quite fast. Like 10 days. Here is to hoping they grow well.
420-magazine-mobile2039914264.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1747128468.jpg

I grew up in southern Maryland and on our property we had an old tobacco barn that i swear the sweet smell of curing tobacco had seeped in to its bones!

I lived in Maryland too for a while as a kid and remember tobacco hanging up to cure in a rickety old barn with light beaming in through holes in the roof. That's my go-to image whenever I think of the curing process.

And the smell of my grandfather's Lucky Strike in the fall air. And the first bite of a plug of Days O Work chewing tobacco--like raisins!

The hippy kids across the alley had a sickly little tobacco plant they were trying to grow here in the very not-Maryland Pacific Northwest, and just looking at it brought back happy memories of my days as a tobacco addict. Sigh... It was all fun and games until my first freaked-out visit to the oncologist's office. Organic, vegan, or industrial, breathing burning tabaccy (or any kinda plant material--see my sig file ;)) es muy malo para la salud, ¿entiendes? Best to stick a low-temp vape, or even better, a nice herbal tincture! :thumb:

Anyone use grow bags?

I know BioBizz says you can simply cut open their bags and use as a grow bag. They are double lined and the inner layer is thick black poly. They even have special perforations for making drainage holes in the soil bags to be able to simply cut open and plant. Always thought that was pretty cool. They make 20 and 50 liter bags and its of course much cheaper to buy the larger so I haven't tried it but have read about plenty who do.

For outdoors it would be an economical choice though.

Anyone use grow bags?

For flower and vegetable gardening, I have always used plastic or glazed terracotta because the soil doesn't dry out as fast so you don't have to water as often, but from my recent readings, I'm starting to wonder if something more permeable to air might even be better for my tomatoes. I read something about how oxygen permeability can cause "air pruning" of the roots, helping to prevent pots from getting rootbound(?!) I guess I'm saying that I'm curious about grow bags too.

Big enough to sit in is probably big enough. ;)

One of the advantages of an outdoor grow, though, is that your pot sizes aren't limited. We discussed earlier how planting directly into the earth or into gigantic containers seems to give bigger plants. I guess one of the limits here given that you wanted to be able to move the plants if there was a big storm is "How big a pot can you pick up?"

I built a greenhouse for my girls and now comes the questions to Pot or go straight in the ground? I have the option to amend the soil however I want which seems to be a little more cost efficient. But I live in an area where we do get some bad thunderstorms and tornado warnings in the summer. I was thinking of putting them in pots so I can bring them in. The greenhouse is very sturdy and is in the ground at a depth of 2 feet. But when you spend so much time on you girls you don't want to risk anything if you know what I mean LOL. So what do my 420 peeps think? Pot or go straight in the ground? My Greenhouse is 16'L x 7.5'H x 4'W. Plenty of growing space.
420-magazine-mobile1776122974.jpg
420-magazine-mobile634566933.jpg
Thats awesome.

Big enough to sit in is probably big enough. ;)

One of the advantages of an outdoor grow, though, is that your pot sizes aren't limited. We discussed earlier how planting directly into the earth or into gigantic containers seems to give bigger plants. I guess one of the limits here given that you wanted to be able to move the plants if there was a big storm is "How big a pot can you pick up?"
I move her all the time. Shes in a terracotta. The trick is a blanket lol Slide that b**** around. These are staying in the greenhouse. I am going to put 3 in the big pots. If a storm comes my loss. The greenhouse is a good two feet in the ground anchored. So hopefully it isn't going anywhere
420-magazine-mobile1077906544.jpg

I move her all the time. Shes in a terracotta. The trick is a blanket lol Slide that b**** around. These are staying in the greenhouse. I am going to put 3 in the big pots. If a storm comes my loss. The greenhouse is a good two feet in the ground anchored. So hopefully it isn't going anywhere
420-magazine-mobile1077906544.jpg

Ahhhh... the things us ladies do. We can lift heavy sh*t! We just use sophisticated engineering tools like mobility tarps (old fleece blanket) and custom carrying totes (unused cat litter boxes and laundry baskets). I swear I wish I had video of me trying to mount my Mars 1200 in a 6.5 foot tent before I bought the pulley ratchets... I am barely 5'3... I'm lucky I didn't drop it or hurt myself.... but I got it up there... all by mah own self!

XxKitty

Ahhhh... the things us ladies do. We can lift heavy sh*t! We just use sophisticated engineering tools like mobility tarps (old fleece blanket) and custom carrying totes (unused cat litter boxes and laundry baskets). I swear I wish I had video of me trying to mount my Mars 1200 in a 6.5 foot tent before I bought the pulley ratchets... I am barely 5'3... I'm lucky I didn't drop it or hurt myself.... but I got it up there... all by mah own self!

XxKitty
Woman Power lol

I picked up a couple 10g pots and 3 10g grow bags. Im also picking up another pot identical to the grey one today for FREE!!! I decided to experiment w different soils. I grabbed up some Fox Farm Ocean Forest, Fox Farm Happy Frog and Coast Of Maine Platinum. Im thinking about using Pro Mix HP in the big pot in the ground. Decisions Decisions.....
420-magazine-mobile2020887288.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2029356410.jpg

I picked up a couple 10g pots and 3 10g grow bags. Im also picking up another pot identical to the grey one today for FREE!!! I decided to experiment w different soils. I grabbed up some Fox Farm Ocean Forest, Fox Farm Happy Frog and Coast Of Maine Platinum. Im thinking about using Pro Mix HP in the big pot in the ground. Decisions Decisions....

Oh, this is starting to get exciting! If you start a separate grow log, please post a link.

Back
Top Bottom