Aquarium LED Lighting Work?

stufmonkey

Hey everyone,
I just joined this amazing resource as I am just starting out with this new "hobby." I am currently setting up 2 clones in individual 5 gallon buckets and a 4x4x6 tent. I do have some questions regarding the lighting as I understand this is incredibly important. To make a long story short, I have been in the reptile and Reef Aquarium hobbies for many years now and am quite experienced with water purity and lighting requirements. However, I am having a difficult time fully grasping the required spectrum's for these plants.
I currently have a lot of LED reef lights which I was curious to see if they would suffice as they are powerful enough and have grown some high end and delicate corals running these. I just do not see why these full spectrum lights wouldn't grow plants as coral are going through a filter (water) and are growing just fine.
I have a Fluval Marine & Reef 2.0 Full Spectrum Performance LED and an Aquasky LED which I was intending to run together.
The Marine & Reef 2.0 specs:
-Full spectrum marine & reef LED lighting with essential actinic blue spectral wavelengths
-Promotes and supports strong coral growth and color
-Balanced combination of multiple LEDs for optimal coral photosynthetic activity, growth & viewing
-Features 6 unique LEDs, including 400, 420, 440, 460nm LEDs for outstanding blue spectrum coverage
-120-degree light dispersion for full area coverage and uniform lighting
-Illuminated touch-sensitive switch with dimming feature
-Versatile mounting options (on aquarium frame, on cabinet, or suspended)
-Completely sealed and water proofed

Aquasky specs:
-18-Watt LED lighting unit
-3000-25000K temperature rating for a customized light spectrum - 6500K white and tri-colored RGB LEDs
-Extendable from 24-36 in (61-91 cm) - mounting brackets adjust for easy installation and placement on various aquarium widths
-Infrared SKYpad remote control adjusts color, brightness and sky effects with 4 memory-save settings
-11 preset sky effects - cloud cover, sunrise, sunset, moon, storm, lightning and more
-IP67 waterproof rating - LED can be mounted close to surface for better light penetration and will endure regular splashing
-Each individual LED casts 120° of light dispersion for full area coverage and uniform lighting
-Designed to last 50,000 hours under regular operating conditions
-Dimmable

Does anyone have any experience using these or something similar? Any feedback and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance,
Mattie

Back
Top Bottom