Tabor's Second LED - Fall 2015

tabor

Here we go again. Fewer plants but the same setup as my last grow.

What strain is it? Crystal (Feminized from Nirvana seeds)
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? hybrid northern lights and white widow cross
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? veg
If in Veg... For how long? seeds put in soil today
If in Flower stage... For how long? N/A
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? FFOF
If soil... What size pot? Solo cup (for now)
Size of light? Mars LED reflector 96x5W + Galaxyhydro 300W LED
Is it aircooled? Yes - 6in ducting plus carbon filter
Temp of Room/cab? 70-74 degrees
RH of Room/cab? 40-60%
PH of media or res? 6.8
Any Pests ? No
How often are you watering? Going to use a spray bottle until I step up pot sizes and then usually water every 2nd or 3rd day
Type and strength of ferts used? None yet, but will use FF trio.

IMG_112335.JPG
IMG_112237.JPG
IMG_112137.JPG

I've only done two orders for seeds both through Nirvana. Both were really quick to arrive. The Crystal was on sale/special a few weeks back and decided I wanted to grow something different. I will probably keep trying new strains until I find one or two that I really enjoy and start trying to clone. I don't use all that much and will likely give away some of my last harvest. It might make it through ounce or two of the 7.5oz from my last harvest before these two plants are done.

Funny story - I actually lost the seeds I didn't use from my first grow (AK48 and Bubblicious). I got a little paranoid one night and decided I needed a different hiding spot for them. Woke up the next morning and had no clue where that great hiding spot was... I'm sure they will show up at some point.

here's some understanding. it's okay, to experiment.
image354.jpeg
before
image469.jpeg
after

You can see, i started baby seedlings under 400 watts off the wall. They're healthy & enjoying it.

You're using 300w of light to germinate seeds?

Do you live in the north pole?

I don't understand this.

Back after roughly a month. Two plants are doing really well. Just transplanted into their final resting place (5 gallon smart pots). Both have been FIMed and are in the process of being LSTd. I want to go at least another month before I flip to 12/12. The plant on the right has a bit of black gold potting soil as top dressing since I ran out of my FFOF.

IMG_114825.JPG
IMG_114727.JPG
IMG_114630.JPG

I think if you flip the bag to were the opening is on the bottom of your cup you can increase the humidity in that one. Subbed, will be paying attention because I want to go the LED route soon. Not your first huh? Any tips with LED's?

I think if you flip the bag to were the opening is on the bottom of your cup you can increase the humidity in that one. Subbed, will be paying attention because I want to go the LED route soon. Not your first huh? Any tips with LED's?

Thanks! I was trying to keep the humidity up but not too high. I had the top zipped up almost all the way for a while to keep the humidity up during germination. As I progressed into the seedling phase, I started to open up the bags to keep the RH higher than the room, but not as high as it was during germination. It was my simple fix to not having a humidity dome.

I have only grown with LEDs and this is my second grow. My advice is pretty limited, but if you go with LEDs I would say make sure you understand what brand LEDs are actually being used in the housing. The difference between the GalaxyHydro and Mars Hydro lights is pretty dramatic. I spent some time reading up on DIY LEDs and if I would do it again, I would probably build my own using CREE COB LEDs. The technology is still evolving but works great to keep heat down to a degree. I don't have any issues recirculating air in my grow room and my temps stay below 80 in a house that generally sits at 65-70. If you don't go the DIY route IMHO you don't always get better quality with more $.

My only real complaint about the system is fan noise. Between my 6in in line fan (speed controlled) and the fans on the LEDs, you can hear audible white noise from adjoining rooms.

Most LED resellers list the power as the max draw of the LEDs. For that Mars 300W, they probably have 100 3 watt LEDs that are not being driven at 100% power. More than likely the actual power draw is going to be 150-180 watts. You should look at the actual draw of the panel rather than the advertised one when trying to figure out how much light you need. Mars has recently switched most panels over from 3 watt LEDs to 5 watt LEDs. From what I've read the 5 watt LEDs are supposed to have better canopy penetration. One other thing to consider is the light spectrum. Plants use light in various wavelengths. LEDs usually have a variety of different LEDs in the panel that cover different light spectrums. Cheaper LEDs don't cover the same spectrum. Lastly, LEDs need to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). Inside most panels are some form of a power converter. Higher quality panels should have converters that better regulate voltage and are more efficient. This means less heat and longer life on the LEDs. Cheap converters can fail or worse provide voltage spikes that fry the LEDs.

There's nothing wrong with the older Mars units you can find on eBay. They will most likely be the 3 watt LED versions. Many people here have had really good success with them. Just run with it and have fun.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom