Going outdoors newbie questions

thehitman

Hi

I have been growing indoors for a few cycles with good success. Now I want to grow my plants outdoors.

Some dumb questions I have before moving to the great outdoors:

Indoors, my clones are all known / proven female - they grow in veg room and move into the flower room to bud and finish.

Going outdoors, should I just plant seeds and eliminate boys when the plants show signs of their sex? And then let the female plants complete the flower cycle? or should I veg indoors, sex the plants, clone indoors and move the female clones out to the garden for flowering with proven females only?

When flowering indoors, we have control over the photo cycle and force flowering with the 12/12 schedule as soon as we wish. But moving to the outdoors, I will lose control over the photo cycle. I don't know if they will go to flower when moved outdoors, or what they will do, or how long it will take to flower and finish. (My seeds are not auto)

Also, even if my garden is only female plants, we still run the risk of possible wild pollination?? I doubt that any male plants will be in the area, but can't guarantee it will be a cannabis pollen free zone. I guess that will be an uncontrollable factor.??

Thanks for your thoughts!

This will be in a tropical climate ;-) :surf:

Do everything outdoor, much less room for screwing up the whole cycle.

Hi

I have been growing indoors for a few cycles with good success. Now I want to grow my plants outdoors.

Some dumb questions I have before moving to the great outdoors:

Indoors, my clones are all known / proven female - they grow in veg room and move into the flower room to bud and finish.

Going outdoors, should I just plant seeds and eliminate boys when the plants show signs of their sex? And then let the female plants complete the flower cycle? or should I veg indoors, sex the plants, clone indoors and move the female clones out to the garden for flowering with proven females only?

When flowering indoors, we have control over the photo cycle and force flowering with the 12/12 schedule as soon as we wish. But moving to the outdoors, I will lose control over the photo cycle. I don't know if they will go to flower when moved outdoors, or what they will do, or how long it will take to flower and finish. (My seeds are not auto)

Also, even if my garden is only female plants, we still run the risk of possible wild pollination?? I doubt that any male plants will be in the area, but can't guarantee it will be a cannabis pollen free zone. I guess that will be an uncontrollable factor.??

Thanks for your thoughts!

This will be in a tropical climate ;-) :surf:

The plants will turn by themselves as the daylight hours lessen.

well...that's my question, if I plant seeds on 2/01/2016 the day light hours will not begin to shorten until the following fall (northern hemisphere) . Will the plants go into flower cycle anyway? or will it greatly delay the flower cycle until fall?

Only autos will switch photoperiod seeds won't start to flower till July or August. It takes much longer to grow outdoors. Idk where you live but if drop seeds in February there could be a freeze up till may in many places

HeyTHM! Sex your plants just like normal. Take your transplants out and plant them in a pre-ammended hole in the location of your choice.
Water and fertilize in and walk away. The single best outdoor grow advice that I can give is kind of like Ron Popeel with his magic convection oven, " Set it and Forget it". Too many trails caused by too frequent visits to the grow site are probably the biggest cause for harvest failures. I like to use natural brush and limbs to block passage of critters. Block obvious animal trails and they will go around usually. I run with the idea of no more than 3 pre harvest trips to visit the girls in a season. Set them... go once about 4 weeks later...then twice more during flowering mainly to fertilize and camouflage. Then harvest. Best of luck in all you grow.

Plants started from seeds in mid February here veg normally, and don't flower until July/August, but with clones it's different story cause you keep them indoor on 18/6 or 24/0, is that right? That means any cutting of photoperiod will force them to flower after a week or two outdoor. Good news they will reveg eventually, but they will be influenced by stress factor which is not good for the quality of your smoke. The best thing would be to get down with your photoperiod to around 13/11 or 14/12, providing they don't start to flower indoor, and outplant them when you have the same photoperiod outside, and this will be in April. Another method used by the pros is keep them vegging in a greenhouse using supplement lights when the dusk hits until they can veg on their own.

I don't know where people get the idea that outdoor cannabis (ANY strain) won't go into flowering until the days start getting shorter. See the link below for one of my girls that I planted this same time last year (January) and this is what it looked like on June 15th, and this was taken right after my klutzy a** broke the top 2/3 of the plant off which had even bigger buds.

1st grow of 2015 blunders

Are you sure you didn't have a reveg on your hands? And it wasn't an auto? I mean if the answers for both is no, then I'd like to know what strain this is.

I also had some outdoor plants flower very early this year. Definitely photos and not reveged. A couple of them are currently reveging so I'll get two harvests from those plants this season.

I put it down to early planting. Planted some seeds a few weeks earlier than usual this year.

Definitely not complaining, as it means I've been able to get some buds curing in my very empty mason jars.

Hey guys, newbie here, currently growing my first plant indoors under 100w CFL, only 1 plants, seems ok.
Since i live in Spain, I am legally allowed to grow MJ outside. So I wanted to try and grow some during summer.
But I have a few questions, to get myself ready.

1. do the plants need direct sun light for growing all the time?
2. what should the temp outside be during the day to be able to start growing ?
3. can i save the pot switching and start planting in a big pot?

thanks in advance

You have to have direct sunlight for certain part of the day. Temps can be as low as 0°C but if they are at least 5-6°C you're in the clear. You can plant in a big pot at the beginning and it's gonna be much better for your plant.

Sent from my SM-T335 using 420

Growing indoors vs outdoors are two different things. Outdoors, is by far much easier IMHO..
I normally use a strain that requires very little attention outdoors. I have used Super Kush, Kaya Gold or Sin Tra bajo. These strains seem to adapt to most conditions and besides watering and fertilizing you`ll produce a very sweet yield of meds..
As for direct sunlight if you live in an area thats mostly sunny all day direct sunlight isn`t really a problem. Maybe purchase a green house to maximize your grow....

So is it possible to veg outside and flower inside once your plants have gotten to a specific height or do they have to stay outdoors

Yes it's possible.

Hello,yes, it's possible if you have sufficient amount of light to push the buds to their max,if you don't your better of leaving the plants outside.if some strains hit the bottom of growing pot,thay will began to flower as a defense mechanism,i believe I was a victim of this,if you look at my Amnesia haze,it shouldn't be flowering untill late june,if planted in the ground, because the roots can stretch all thay want untill the flowering season begans,in pots,becareful,i planted amnesia haze Feb,10,2016,vegged it indoors with led,plus sun night,i was giving it over 15 hours of light,to prevent it from flowering,but instead,i blew up the plant
0522160910c.jpg
0520161639a.jpg
0520161657a.jpg
0520161637a.jpg
,SO fast,the roots hit the bottom of the geopot, and it began flowering to save itself from extinction,WITH 15 hours of light,plus once the pot gets so filled with roots,the cold air can penetrate the sides of the geopot,and also cause early flowering.so those 2 factors could help you or hurt you,deppending on what you want to apply intentialy..HAPPY GROWING...ps.I'm only using 5 gallon geopots..

Back
Top Bottom