Problem in veg room with nutrient uptake - Thankful for any input!

RandomtasK

HELLO Friends and fellow enthusiasts. Ive been grow few a couple of years now, and i have had some success and a lot of learning. my biggest lesson has been to not cut corners! anyways im here to ask for some help with an ongoing issue i have been having for a couple of months. any input on these pics will be helpful, i will check to diagnose any possible solutions.. I dont want to give too much input because people tend to hear what i want them to hear. ill just list a few possibilities that i have tested and see what may be causing this. first i will show some pics and then i will go into detail about possiblities and details.

Grape OG Teen

IMG_140214.jpg

Ghost Train Haze Clones

IMG_140322.jpg

Alien OG Large Plant

IMG_139918.jpg

Alien OG Clone

IMG_139721.jpg

NYCD seedling : notice the stress and purple stretchy strem. this seedling has had nothing but RO water

IMG_139518.jpg

Sleestack Plant is weak and stretchy, notice the leaves are pale green and then dark green near the tips

IMG_140014.jpg

Flowering Ghost train haze after similar veg problems

IMG_140723.jpg

So down to business.

Symtoms: Purple Stems and main leaf veins, Stretchy weak woody stems, Pale green inner growth with dark green edges, slow growth, small leaves, weak root structure.

Basically i have weak purple stretchy plants with weak roots and then the leaves are pale green at the inner part and dark green near the tips and edges.

This has been going on for quite a while, almost every plant in my place has been stressed at some point with a similar issue. They all exhibit signs of stunted growth, and overall lackluster appearance, and everything has purple stems and often yellowing leaves in flower looking like a P and K uptake issue. Im wondering if maybe the medium is getting too cold at night? maybe i am overfeeding to cause lockouts? my clones and seedlings are showing signs of similar stress which leads me to beleive the problem does not lie in feeding amounts becuase i have not fed the seedlings anything and they are in well rinsed coco. the clones are transplanted after rooting into coco watered with 500 ppm veg nutes. the larger plants in the room have taken forever to develop good roots. even the plants in small half gallon pots dry out quickly but they have small root systems and woody purpl stems. it seems as if they grow through the problem but the problem persists. I recently saw the temp of my RO water before feeding was around 54 degrees F, so i bought a tank heater.

One thing i find strange is how i can never get a good guide or educated information online about proper feeding practices. the only thing i have ever seen on feeding coco was in askEds coco guide. but it is very vague. WHY DOES EVERYONE JUST DISMISS GIVING ANY INFO ON FEEDING! all i hear is oh you need experience and feed half strength and add more later. im sorry im just frustrated with the lack of good information on feeding cannabis. i want to see EC, AND PPM and Schedules and frequency and plant size and such.

I dont often see any signs of burning so maybe i am underfeeding, but i do feed sometimes more than once per week so maybe i am just feeding too often. I also saw something from advanced nutrients claiming that other coco nutrient formulas do not account for a heavy iron requirment in coco. this problem almost looks like iron def? but from other journals i have seen people have great success in coco with just standard hyro nutes and some calmag.

Right now i am using Botanicare kind, but i used House and Gardens COCOS A/B to test the results and i likes it but the additives were too expensive. im using liquid karma, hydroguard, hydroplex, hygrozyme, and zho.

I tested some clones using just a/b and still had some problems. Most of my problems go away after a healthy root system develops, but i seems to take forever and i have problems all though the devlopment of a root system. from seedling/ rooted clone they are stressed.

anyways, any input is appreciated. i dont have the answers as you can see. i have tried to diagnose this issue in many different ways but when i see improvment i attribute it to to something that ends up not being the answer. my room temps are stable at 75. my humidity is in the 40% range. i have a 6 inch intake fan exhausting my 8x8x10 veg room. i have measured the c02 ppm around 475. the environment is seemingly perfect. the root system is suffering from something it seems, but i use the botanicare aeration formula, and my friend has incerdible results with it. my ph pen is calibrated and i feed always at 5.8-6.2.

feeding: clones get 400 ppm at transplant then another feeding when they dry out like two weeks later around 500 ppm.

small plants week 1-2 get around 600-750 ppm weekly average depending on how often they dry

plants get around 900-1100 ppm after they are large enough to be considered mothers, usually 36" and taller

plants always seem to show major improvment after they have gone a while without feeding. i come back a day afyter feeding and they look great, but then the following day they look crappy again. Maybe an aeration problem? they roots always seem to be underdeveloped.

ive been rambling for a long time. let me know if you guys have any questions and check out my commercial grow journal if you havent already. thanks!:Namaste:

First Commercial Grow Build - 6000 Watt Flower - Dairy Queen - Botanicare Kind

It looks like sulfur deficiency, might try some Epsom salts 1 tbsp/gallon, use warm water to dissolve.

If I'm not mistaken, you have to add a cal-mag supplement like Botanicare Cal-Mag+, or General Hydroponics Cali-Magic to coco, you most definitely need cal-mag supplement for RO water... I didn't see it listed. I'm DWC so I don't know coco that well, so here is a coco guru that has a lot of great video's and will answer your coco questions.:peace:

How I Grow In Coco Video's
How I grow in coco Youtube videos and pics

I was Going through the videos you reccomended and found something VERY close to what i have been dealing with. I have been adding pretty hefty amounts of ph up to my water for a long time. He was saying adding too much ph up can lockout a lot of coco nutrients by causing the medium to rise to a far to base ph.

I think i am going to borrow a friends pen and check. ill also start by adding less ph up to some clones as a test. ill pick up some cal mag plus as well and add it to my regiment. im going to do some testing and see if i can correct what looks like a ph issue. THANKS! i will most definately let you guys know if this ph issue works.

i calibated and tested my pen with 4.0 and 7.0 solution and it was spot on.. but i may have still been adding too much ph up. i was letting the final nutrient solution get to 6.4 sometimes. i tried feeding some of the younger plants with no ph up which left the nutrient solution around 5.7 and 700 ppm. i do not understand why there are two conversion calcualtions for ec. clearly ppm is not an acurate measurement unless you verify either 500 or 700x ec. pretty rediculous if you ask me. i may just go with an ec meter and say fuggit. my cheap hm tds ez says use the 500 calc. but it doesnt seem very accurate. anyways ill keep you guys update thanks again for some direction. i spent all night last night researching ph and coco feeding and learned some new tricks.. never hurts to do some resaearch.

check out my commercial medical grow!

i calibated and tested my pen with 4.0 and 7.0 solution and it was spot on.. but i may have still been adding too much ph up. i was letting the final nutrient solution get to 6.4 sometimes. i tried feeding some of the younger plants with no ph up which left the nutrient solution around 5.7 and 700 ppm. i do not understand why there are two conversion calcualtions for ec. clearly ppm is not an acurate measurement unless you verify either 500 or 700x ec. pretty rediculous if you ask me. i may just go with an ec meter and say fuggit. my cheap hm tds ez says use the 500 calc. but it doesnt seem very accurate. anyways ill keep you guys update thanks again for some direction. i spent all night last night researching ph and coco feeding and learned some new tricks.. never hurts to do some resaearch.

check out my commercial medical grow!

Ever figure out what exactly was causing you this issue? Our nutes/ methods are near identical, and I'm seeing the exact same signs you've described in this thread. I couldn't have written it any better myself. Was it a PH issue, over-fert, lighting distance? Any help would greatly be appreciated :thumb:

I saw a bit of yellow necrosis at the end of your leaves, I'm almost certain it's over fertilization; you have a lovely green happening but they're quite narrow; I didn't see anything about lights; but make sure you find that sweet-spot with lighting and make sure you have enough lx for your plants.

Keeping a no more than 10*F difference between daytime and nighttime will minimize inter-nodal lengths and increase its bushiness. If you want bushy and big; fat pots :blunt: preferably those that are breathable fabric - having that perfect watering ratio will only boost production :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom