First Commercial Grow Build - 6000 Watt Flower - Dairy Queen - Botanicare Kind

RandomtasK

I finally have the bulk of work finished on my new commercial grow, so i wanted to share some of the insight and lessons learned putting together my first commercial grow setup. This will also be my grow journal, so i'll keep you guys updated. I'll Start by saying that there has been a LOT of work to make this thing happen. I Couldn't be happier with the result so far.

Before i was ever able to set foot in my grow warehouse, i needed to finance and get licensing/ insurance for everything. I called on a warehouse location and was very upfront with the owners. They require general business liability insurance, so I had to get coverage. Dispensary insurance is now available to people who want to lease and insure a grow facility. My insurance agent was very knowledgeable and helpful about medical marijuana law, and i am able to sleep at night knowing i am covered if things go wrong. I also pay a premium for crop coverage against theft and accidents. All I can say is i am happy to be state legal and covered.

Once i finally Got the property, I had no clue how i was going to set everything up! I literally had no experience with electric, framing, drywall, or really any hardware for that matter. I spent nights watching YouTube videos, and days asking questions at home depot. I had some greatly needed help from my new neighbors, and after about 3 weeks i was able to set up most of what i need for this first grow.

Anyways now for all the fun stuff. In this post I'll Cover the Grow build, and my next post will be the start of my grow journal. Hope you guys like it!

20140115_124931.jpg

The Unit They had available was perfect! Two rooms buillt, with a large roll up door to the open area. Only a hundred amp breaker box, but i can install another one if i need to expand! Time to get to work.

20140126_123410.jpg

Just Aquired All of my new (Mostly used) Equipment! Phantom Ballasts, Blockbuster Hoods, Intake fans.. Etc.

20140122_125953.jpg

I needed to Frame and finish a false ceiling to seal the Flower room. This would help keep co2 usage low, bugs out, lightproof, and secure the main grow area. Home depot is my second home:

20140127_154832.jpg

I borrowed a lot of tools and help from my new neighbors, who happened to be growers a few years ago before they relocated.

20140128_135557.jpg

For some reason i was concerned about attaching wood to cinder block for weeks before actually did it. Turns out its pretty easy. I used a rotary hammer to drill the entry holes for some concrete screws. A lot of measuring and cutting to get around the electrical conduit.

20140128_135602.jpg

The flower room is a polygon shape, so the roof and the entire grow room had to be designed around the angles of the room. Framing is easy once you learn how. I have come to learn that most building and grow room modification can be done easily with a little common sense and a dedicated effort.

20140128_161415.jpg

20140128_145530.jpg

The two rooms were only divided by an eight foot wall, so there was open space between them originally. I built the new false ceiling on to that wall.

20140128_145522.jpg

Hanging the drywall to the frame was the most physically taxing and dangerous part of this project, I will go with thinner drywall if there is a next time. 1/2 inch was a little cheaper, but more expensive on my back LOL. Seriously.

20140204_144325.jpg

20140204_150045.jpg

20140204_161554.jpg

After Hanging the drywall i Caulked and sealed every corner and double checked for light leaks. Then i painted two coats of mold resist paint on the drywall, and weatherstripped the doors for light leakage.

20140204_153630.jpg

I considered paying an electrician a few hundred dollars to install my light controller, Turns out i could do it myself in 30 minutes including youtube video time. Just needed some wire and a 50 amp breaker.

20140130_104918.jpg

Only a week after i rented the unit did i find it was the only one with a brand new dedicated air conditioner, installed by the last tenant. SCORE!!! I'm assuming its like 50,000 BTU. the thing is a monster. I removed the vents and ducted the cold fresh air directly into the grow room. Now the thermostat keeps the room right where i want it.

20140204_161039.jpg

A little bit of metal Tape Works well for anything you dont want to come off. Its a new favorite tool in my toolbox.

20140207_145444.jpg

20140207_150111.jpg

After Rearranging the 4x8 grow trays ten times, i found the most efficient use of space and lighting was different than i had anticipated. time to hang the lights. I attached 2x4s to the ceiling for accurate light hanging.

20140207_140834.jpg

Finally... this place is starting to look like a grow room!

20140207_183611.jpg

20140207_190420.jpg

I Hung the Ballasts from the studs next to the light controller. One light cord wouldn't reach so i ended up re-hanging the ballast halfway down the light row.

Picked up some wall mount fans in good condition on craigslist. Back to drilling concrete which takes a while.

20140209_171851.jpg

20140209_173206.jpg

The Lights airflow is closed loop, so i use the air from right above the false ceiling to cool the lights, and then the hot air vents into the attic

20140209_171942.jpg

20140210_160855.jpg

Everything is working great! Im actually surprised at how many problems i DIDNT run into. Or.. maybe my problem solving skills are just becoming natural. I guess i just work with what i got. Try to do things right the first time so that i dont need to go back and do them again.

20140213_192947.jpg

This is my first time using co2 enrichment. I have my 50 lb. tank and CAP ppm3 controller keeping the room at around 1100 ppm in early veg. Running a sealed room is actually easier than a fresh air room, plus you keep the temps a bit higher so the cost of co2 is made up in AC savings. I'm glad i made the investment. Got all my equipment for co2 used on craigslist.

20140225_182837.jpg

There was a copper pipe coming right into my flower room, but i had to set up the plumbing myself. Shut off the water, install a ball valve, run it to a garden hose spigot. So happy to have water!!

20140225_182848.jpg

I picked up a large prefilter from home depot, which i will soon be running to a 300 gpd Reverse osmosis system

20140228_130500.jpg

Another Kind neighbor gave me a couple of work tables he didn't need. Makes this room look pro haha.

20140217_173002.jpg

So that pretty much Covers the Grow build! This warehouse is still a work in progress, I'll be setting up the veg room after the first harvest.

Finally! The Babies arrive Just in time. 24 Dairy Queen in coco, healthy and happy.

20140212_161203.jpg

I still Hadn't dialed the climate when they arrived, and the began to wilt from low humidity and cold night temps.

20140217_173025.jpg

I brought in some space heaters and put them on a thermostat, and i invested in a nice humidifier to help keep them Moist. They showed improvement immediately after bringing up the humidity. I now am aware that younger plants dry out pretty easily and they'll even wilt if they sweat too much. Keeping the humidty at 60 percent RH fixed the problem pretty quick.

20140224_163225.jpg

It took a little while to dial in this new nutrient line. I am using Botanicare's KIND Nutrients. Feeding at half strength in those red cups actually started showing signs of nitrogen deficiency, so i upped the feed to just under full strength on their feed chart. they greened right up. Just waiting for all of the additives in the mail and i'll have botanicare's full line.

I re-potted in 5 gallon plastic pots, which i chose over fabric pots for several reasons: First, fabric pots are more expensive. second, they aren't reusable. third, spill water through the sides. Fourth, they are more difficult to lift, and can cause damage to the root system if you set them down to hard. From what ive read, plastic pots have similar yields and results. I drilled holes all around the sides of the plastic pot for increased aeration. I think this will work great. I have heard this works well. I used Oregonism Beneficials on transplant, and then watered a mild nutrient solution with superthrive. They responded very well, and some were on the verge of rootbound when i transplanted. My camera/phone was dead when i was transplanting so i didn't document all of the progress.

20140228_130404.jpg

20140228_130435.jpg

20140301_114503.jpg

After About 5 days in the new pots i began training. I want to bush them out early to keep the canopy relatively low. I'll have 4 plants per 1k Light, so veg time should be around 2 months total. Im going to put up a scrog setup in a few weeks once all six lights are running. Currently i have all 24 under a 1k MH bulb. I dialed them up with a dimmer from 600w to 750w, then finally to a 1k yesterday.

20140301_132142.jpg

20140301_132209.jpg

They Turn up toward the light within a few hours.

20140303_144251.jpg

After I watered with some rich nutrient solution, around 550 ppm, I left them alone for 3 days. and here they are today!! looking good as i have ever seen them

20140306_114516.jpg

20140306_115626.jpg

20140306_115641.jpg

20140303_144219.jpg

I'll Keep you updated Frequently!! Let me know if you have any questions or pointers! this is my third time growing!! haha decided to go all the way with it. Having fun so far! Thanks

All I can say is WOW.

What a build. It would be pretty fun to work all that out. Enjoy. I know I will love to see that all in flower. :party:

EDIT: And dang it if I didn't sit in the front row in the best seat. I hope watermelons get smashed.

Oh, and I brought ebrownies if anyone wants any.

Thanks For the replies! This is going to be a really fun process. I cant wait to set up the scrogs and start filling up those screens. I just got the rest of Botanicare's lineup so these plants should be taking off. Liquid Karma looks like one of the best additives on the market. I got them in the mail just in time to water everything.

The room is pretty much automated now, i'll probably only be there twice a week to water until they start drinking more. Its really nice to finally have the whole place dialed. i can control the temps and RH within 5 degrees.

One problem i have seen is the amount of co2 i'm using to keep the ppm over 1000. I was wondering if anyone knew how often i should be exhausting the room with co2. I'm exhausting twice per day, and i think i may need to only exhaust once. 1000 parts out of a million isn't enough to deplete oxygen for the roots. Especially if the leaves are converting co2 to oxygen. the only reason i exhaust at all during lights on is because i heard you could end up with toxic levels of ethanol with stale old air in a room with plants. Any insight on this? Thanks!!

20140309_203607.jpg

20140309_203738.jpg

20140309_203836.jpg

Just figured I'd post some pics from my phone of the girls vegging. I had some nutrient lockout because I was feeding too much without runoff. Still dialing in the new nutrient line.

20140324_190543.jpg

20140324_190520.jpg

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Sorry for never updating, my camera broke on my phone almost a year ago. i have a new one on the way! soon ill post the epic setup. thanks for waiting!

Hey guys just finally got a few new pics of my setup, i figured i would post a quick update. finally finished with the bulk of the work, now im just waiting on the goodies! Let me know if yall are still watching, haha im excited to show somebody :p

Here is My Largest Plant, Day 28 , Night Terror OG, 30 Gallon COCO mix under a 1000w raptor hood

IMG_1422.jpg

Some Night Terror OG Week 7

IMG_1426.jpg

7000 Flower Room total

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

Im having some strange problems in my veg room if you guys can help, im about to put up a new post on the infirmary ill put a link here. thanks!

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom