Crazy 'Pot Will Make You Sell Your Children'

PFlynn

Here at NORML we are used to seeing some hysterical, unfounded claims made about the ills of cannabis. However, even we were shocked when a supporter from Iowa sent us Senator Tom Harkin's ( D, IA ) raging, reefer madness-esque reply to his note asking him to justify why medicinal cannabis is still illegal after the second largest medical association in the country, the American College of Physicians, publicly backed rescheduling of cannabis and the protection of patients who use it for medicinal purposes. Here's the highlights of the reply he received:

Dear XXXX: Thank you for contacting me. I am always glad to hear from you.

Marijuana is often the drug singled out for legalization. However, marijuana is not the recreational drug that many believe it to be. In a study completed by the Drug Abuse Warning Network, the number of marijuana related emergencies has nearly reached the level of cocaine related emergencies. As this statistic indicates, marijuana use often has fatal consequences.

I was deeply troubled when I learned of another recent study which found that nearly one-third of all eighth graders had tried marijuana. As the father of two daughters, it greatly disturbs me that children are exposed to drugs at such a young age. I am concerned that legalization of this drug will only increase the number of children who gain access to its harmful effects.

The victims of the drug war are many - the small child whose parents are so addicted to illegal drugs that they sell everything including perhaps their own children to obtain a fix; the police officer's family which must now learn to cope with the loss of their loved one as a result of a violent drug bust gone awry. These are the people I think of when I say that drugs pose a significant threat to the security of this nation.

Legalizing drugs is equivalent to declaring surrender in the war on drugs. However we may differ in tactics, I am hopeful that we can work together to fight drugs in our communities and to make Iowa drug free.

Again, thanks for sharing your views with me. Please don't hesitate to let me know how you feel on any issue that concerns you.

Sincerely,

Tom Harkin

United States Senator

Okay, so setting aside the fact that Senator Harkin's response pertains to legalization of marijuana, and not medical cannabis as the constituent asked about, let's deconstruct some of the myths propagated in this letter.

1. "The number of marijuana related emergencies has nearly reached the level of cocaine related emergencies. As this statistic indicates, marijuana use often has fatal consequences."

This is an untruth propagated by the drug czar's minions. The Drug Abuse Warning Network ( DAWN ) collects its data on 'marijuana related emergencies' by noting every single time someone tells their doctor that they use marijuana. So if I were to accidentally break my leg and go to the ER, and my doctor asked if I use any drugs and I say I occasionally smoke marijuana ( as I should, as we should all be honest with our physicians ), then this would be a 'marijuana related emergency,' even if I hadn't smoked in weeks.

And fatal? Please! As Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School Lester Grinspoon wrote in the Journal of the American Medical Association, "There is no known case of a lethal overdose; on the basis of animal models, the ratio of lethal to effective dose is estimated as 40,000 to 1. By comparision, the ratio is.between 4 and 10 to 1 for ethanol ( alcohol )." Additionally, a 1994 report by the Australian National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre found that "There are no recorded cases of fatalities attributable to cannabis, and the extrapolated lethal dose from animal studies cannot be achieved by recreational users."

2. "I was deeply troubled when I learned of another recent study which found that nearly one-third of all eighth graders had tried marijuana."

I do not doubt that marijuana is easier to obtain for minors than alcohol, which troubles NORML as well. But this problem is precisely why prohibition is a terrible policy-there is no incentive at all for suppliers to keep their product out of the hands of children. This is in stark contrast to alcohol, whose vendors must protect their valuable liquor licenses ( often costing around $100,000 ) by ensuring they do not sell to minors. You didn't think they did it out of the kindness of their own heart, did you? In a regulated market, government can incentivize suppliers in this way. On the black market, we leave kids out in the cold-and the prohibitionists point to us and say, "What about the children?" Which brings us to.

3. "The victims of the drug war are many - the small child whose parents are so addicted to illegal drugs that they sell everything including perhaps their own children to obtain a fix; the police officer's family which must now learn to cope with the loss of their loved one as a result of a violent drug bust gone awry."

Classic drug war rhetoric-let's avoid serious policy discussion and instead flee to hyperbolic appeals to emotion, without serious examination of how these nightmare scenarios are facilitated by current policy. First, marijuana is less addictive than current legal drugs, according to the Institute of Medicine, let alone illicit drugs one might associate with the type of dependency described above.

While marijuana generally is not associated with the same level of violence that other illicit drugs are, there is no doubt that there have been fatal incidents ( some involving law enforcement ) involving marijuana. The tragic aspect of this fact is that given marijuana's proven relative safety and lower addiction rates compared with legal drugs, the prohibitionist policy towards it-sustained by the same kind of rhetoric that Senator Harkin uses-has contributed more to the violence than any other factor. Indeed, when one looks at the alcohol industry today, there is no violent crime in the production and shipment of their goods; yet were one to see the same industry in the 1920s during alcohol prohibition, one might have seen other Senators making the same empty arguments about alcohol.

Source: AlterNet (US Web)
Copyright: 2008 Independent Media Institute

Crazy claims, lacking in independent thought and reason.

Wish I knew how these immoral morons get into office, and why they are self-propogating. Better to plant hemp then horrible robot kids on the earth. Loving parents would NEVER claim that their children are the reason they do evil. When I worked I wouldn't even fake my child's illness to not go into work. Smoking reduces the impact of this stupidity on my brain. Seriously, to see this all full on..... I would be numb and not in a Good way.

hello,,,,would rather have my kid smoke some herb then have his nurse,,
principle put him on those LEGAL PRESCRIPTION DRUGS,,--------F.G.S.AKA--INFOMAN--OHIO

OH shit! I forgot I was suppose to sell the kids this morning! lol There's a huge market among us cannabis users you know? lol Unfortunately the last time I tried to sell them I had to pay someone to take them. Then they still brought them back! lol
The fricken rumors these assholes put out are so rediculous and stupid. What's even worse is the fact that the press reports these rumors as fact and push these rumors onto the idiots who believe everything they read.

Iowa drug free... ROFL.. I know a couple peeps from the area..

& for the fun of it.. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS WANTS TO BUY MY KIDS? fools

Aww thats sad... tax deductable kid donations. But its true how stupid can you be to truly believe this nonsense. This letter is complete ignorance...How did these folks get into office? and Why?

"...Network, the number of marijuana related emergencies has nearly reached the level of cocaine related emergencies..."

This is due to something calld Adverse Event Reporting, AER, Like the lead says, if MJ is mentioned at all during a Dr or emrgency room visit the AER is usually mis-used by the propagandists. They take the MJ part out of context & use the report as false evidence about how dangerous MJ is. The man wouldn't know the truth if it descended from the sky on a big shining cloud. Gimme a break!!!

You can read up on AER by seraching "adverse event"

mM

. "The victims of the drug war are many.."

Yeah. Many of them innocents killed by cops at the wrong house.

Here is a classic bait & switch from the Reefer Madness idiots-

"...addicted to illegal drugs that they sell everything including perhaps their own children to obtain a fix; ..."

Notice how he switches from grass to 'addicted to illegal drugs'. Any one who knows any thing at all about weed knows you cannot die from it or become physically addicted. He tacitly lies about ganja by inferring it IS addicting. What a crock!!

Anlslinger & Hurst would be proud!! The river of BS, Reefer Madness, is still flowing from the mouths of the Rx drug & other company shills.

I sent one the newshawks here a link to a story from Florida where a study was done showing that 'legal' Rx drug deaths are even more frequent than heroine deaths. Why is legal to let Rx drug users die & criminalize the safest substance know to man?

I don't know if the Florida study was posted or not. As usual, 0000 deaths were attributed to Marywanna. :grinjoint:

Insane in the membrane!!!

mM

Right on user!! It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$!!

mM

WWwwwwhhhhaaaattttt the f**K!!!! I never thought I'd say this, but I'm at a loss for words at this absurdity.
This guy actually thinks that people get so needy for chronic that they sell off everything, even their kids!!!???
Uh.Uh.Uh....I I I I am...WTF???!!!....sorry guys...I cant even process that shit!!!...lol

That guy isn't even fit to have a job, much less a job of power...who let this bone head get elected???!!!

In the old days, they would tar and feather someone for being so stupid!!!

Tar & feathers. A fine old tradition that needs to be implemented in DC. I vote for it!!

mM

Back
Top Bottom