10 Gallon Bubble / Diesel Ryder Auto Fem / 400W HID

basement grow

Days are listed as from seed going into water.

Day 5:

All 3 are up now, 1 is showing roots thru the bottom of the net pot. Temperature control has not been easy in the res. Temps staying below 80F though, mostly in the 70-74F range. Room temps have been a cakewalk due to the room I am using (its in the basement). Using panda film has let me build a room within a room, with fixed fans blowing from under the film up toward the light, which passively vents out thru the ceiling joists. 400W MH lamp is possitioned currently at 21" over plant tops to prevent burn up. Ballast/pumps/etc are all outside of panda film "walls" and positioned higher than the resevoir.

Plants have had very little nutes at all. Currently I am using GH 3 part at a strength of 1/2TBS per 6gallons for each part of the 3 part series (VERY low concetration, I figure I would work my way up as the babies could handle it). No other additives added except for a thin sheen of H2O2 from water bottle rinse offs (using frozen bottles to cool res). I am using well water, which has been tested for human consumption and has no parasites/harmful bacteria. It comes out of the well at pH 6.2. I pH down the water til it hovers around 5.8.

Top down shot of res.

IMG_00289.JPG

Plants 1 and 2 (did not take a pic of 3 because they all look identical at this point.

IMG_00267.JPG

IMG_002510.JPG

Temp and humidity ("out" is the water temp in the res, "in" is the air temp). I verifed accuracy of the digital probe using some unused pool thermometers we received when we bought our last round of pool chems. I highly recommend this little thermometer, less than 20 bucks at Lowe's.
IMG_00277.JPG

My first tiny root that has peeked out.
IMG_002415.JPG

This is my first grow and so far things seem to be going ok.

Re: 10gal bubble / diesel ryder auto fem / 400W HID

Day 6

Roots have shown out of 2 of the net pots, over an inch long, reaching for the res water, which I am keeping just slightly out of their reach. Plant 3 has no roots showing below net pot at all, but looks healthy.

Growth is not super fast yet, but visible differences are easy to spot within hours. No sign of nute problems, my weak bath seems to have been weak enough. Everything I have read says to watch early nutes, that one of the biggest noobie mistakes is frying your plants with chems, so far, so good. I plan on going from a 1/16th dose to a 1/4 dose once the plants look established more, then moving on to a 1/2 strength GH plan from their webiste throughout the plant's life. Any input on this plan is greatly appreciated.

Lowering lights 4" today, new pics coming soon. Will get a few pics of the room up this week. Entire system being overhauled for next grow (going to try to do early misty indoors). Will be switching to a larger more sturdy resevoir (27 gallon), and possibly adding a chiller if my wife doesn't balk too much at the price. A chiller means I also need a new submersible pump (160GPH minimum), will most likely go ahead and replace the air pump and all, too, since that would allow me a small system and a big system, more to play with. This small system should work really well for indi's and autos, with less cost in nutrients and less hassle on res changes; but no way will it support sativas that want to grow 7 feet tall.

Day 7

All three plants have roots showing through bottom of netpot, one of which has multiple roots coming out of the bottom of the netpot. Plants are still working on second set of leaves, first set is about to branch.

Res temps are still my nemesis. I haven't gone over 80 yet, but it is taking a lot of effort to keep it down. My freezer is working overtime trying to keep bottles frozen. I am trying to make sure that at least 4-5 hours of the day are spent under 70. I might start chiller shopping soon. I hope the wife doesn't notice.

Started a light oscillating fan today in addition to the fixed fans on the floor. Waiting on 3rd set of leaves to pop then I will drain res and up nutrients to 1/4 dose from current 1/16th dose. pH completely stable at 5.9. Lights are now at 12" from plants; going to watch them carefully and pull lights back if needed.

Water still smells fresh, no algae on tubing. Saw a gnat in grow room; surprising, considering I put enough home defense in that room to declare chemical warfare on a small country.

So far, so good. No surprises other than the tenacity needed to keep res temps down. Hopefully, more pics coming tonight.

Day 8

Plants seem to be doing well considering their age, but I am no expert. Just 8 days ago these little girls (I hope) went into a jar of water to soak for 18 hours. Now lets have a look.

The top down view of the res
IMG_00299.JPG

plants 1-3
IMG_00308.JPG

IMG_00316.JPG

IMG_00326.JPG

A shot of the room within a room. I did not take the panda all the way to the floor, so I could use fixed fans to blow in cool air from the floor into the panda room. The panda goes below the table I built, though, so the light stays inside for the most part. Exterior entry into the main room is also light blocked. Almost an airlock, but for light. My res is too short, but I am hoping since I am growing dwarf plants I will be ok. Moving up to a 27 gallon for my next endeavor, as I posted earlier.
IMG_00339.JPG

Moved one fixed fan to blow over the air pump in my attempt to lower res temps. Also moved the ballast farther away from all other parts, and put it in line of the fan exhaust. It is *MUCH* cooler to the touch now.
IMG_00346.JPG

Roots are now showing on all netpots. It is crazy to me how quickly they are growing roots. Plants have always astounded me, but this little plant is a miracle to watch.
IMG_003510.JPG

Now I just wait on that third set of leaves to come in change to higher nute concentrations with my first res change. Water temps are still a pain, but frozen bottles seem to be working. Air temps are still fine, no weird growth in res, roots are pristine, pH is not budging.

Day 9

Resisting the urge to put more nutes in is becoming harder. 2 of the 3 plants have obvious 3rd leaf set coming in, one is still little sprigs (this plant also has the smallest root network showing from netpot). Tommorow might be the day I res change and add nutes at 1/4 strength. The 1/16 dose has done no harm that I can see. I know this goes in the face of common knowledge, but I wanted to press my luck feeding so early. Maybe it has paid off? One plant has roots over 10 inches long now, only 9 days from starting the seed soak. I do not know if this is to be expected or not, but it seems great to me. I want to get some nutes into veg if possible, since I cannot control their time to flower. I am hoping that starting them so early on nutes at a weak dose might make them more ready to accept the next step up. Maybe I should go 1/8 instead of 1/4 for next step?

Saw another gnat. Put up flypaper. Haven't caught a gnat yet. Realized I was sitting there, staring at flypaper, for like 5 minutes.

Moving the fixed fan from the floor to cover the airpump and ballast seems to be working some. I was unable to come home for over 12 hours today so no frozen bottles added to res for a LONG time, temps stayed under 78F. With my previous setup, with the ballast so close to the pump, I would have gone way higher than this.

Started spraying the panda film on one side. Placed plates with water behind fixed fan on floor. Trying to up RH. Can't seem to get it to stay over 52%. Going to try Roseman's trick of wet towels and buckets.

More pics no later than Sunday.

Looking good, reps to ya. I know what you mean about them res temps, but ya gotta get them down and kept down.

1/8 sounds good, don't rush the nutes. at that age, just let them take it in.

Day 10

Plants doubled in size in last 24 hours. I am stupified by their progress. One plant looks a little droopy compared to the others, no idea why, maybe my imagination. Growth on the roots is hard to believe. Massive white nests of roots are in abundance.

One plant still has not shown enough of its third set of leaves for res change and nute boost. Maybe tommorow.

All 3 plants seem to be trying to grow away from the center of the res tank. Not an issue as of yet, mabe they are getting ready to bush up really big and know they will need the space. Wishful thinking?

Sang Lionel Ritchie to them for a while. Decided I was losing my mind. Fought urge to check flypaper for gnat carcasses.

Pics soon.

Day 12

Still utterly amazed by these little plants. 12 Days ago they were seeds.

Here are a few pics of the plants today.

Plant 1
IMG_00396.JPG

IMG_00427.JPG

Plant 2
IMG_00407.JPG

IMG_00432.JPG

Plant 3
IMG_00414.JPG

IMG_00447.JPG

A top down shot for size comparison
IMG_00457.JPG

The roots
IMG_00387.JPG

Very nervous today, as today they got their first real dose of nutrients. 4th set of leaves is already showing growth and there are some low node growths showing, also, figured it was time to give the girls their first real feed. Used GH's calculator for mild strength, week 1 (mild growth). Still not a heavy dose, but nerve wracking, nonetheless. Hopefully no issues, will watch them carefully.

Res temps still too high.

Humidity still too low.

Working on remedies for both.

Looking good, reps to ya. I know what you mean about them res temps, but ya gotta get them down and kept down.

1/8 sounds good, don't rush the nutes. at that age, just let them take it in.

Thanks for stopping by. Went a little stronger on nutes than I had first planned, but I am watching them carefully.

Day 13

Plants are getting thirsty. It would appear that they started drinking heavily once nutes were upped. I do not know if this is coincidence or if it is something that happens normally. Slight overnute signs showing on plant 3, although, those signs were there before nutes. It has always looked a little droopy. Must keep eye on that one.

Res temps still driving me insane. Told the wife that we were buying a chiller. She asked me what I meant by "we". Most likely will take another bit of goading before that purchase is made.

Roots look brown. Not root rot brown, just brown enough for my paranoid, anal retentive mind to run away with me. Most likely from the micro nutes, they are extremely dark; the water for last fill was pretty colored. Water still smells fresh. Found and killed a gnat larva. Killed a gnat on the flypaper. Saw one more gnat but it was dead on the floor, hopefully before it got its eggs layed.

Gave the res 2 capfulls of 3% h2o2 just in case the brown is something unsettling.

Pics

top down of res
IMG_004611.JPG

plant 1
IMG_00487.JPG

IMG_004912.JPG

plant 2
IMG_005012.JPG

IMG_00518.JPG

plant 3
IMG_00529.JPG

IMG_00536.JPG

roots
IMG_00475.JPG

Your plants look great, your roots look great, and that water looks great !!I usually take out a 1/2 gallon when res gets warm and add cold nuted water. Once those roots are either all in or almost all in the water you can take out the water pump. That will help keep your temps down.Once those little babies start to grow up you'lll think differently about a larger res with more plants !! It's easier to use single buckets 1 plant per bucket , you can move them around better and you don't have to deal with crowded plants not getting enough light . What ever works for you though , I get a little clostrophobic (spell?) and think my plants might too ...:peace:

Your plants look great, your roots look great, and that water looks great !!I usually take out a 1/2 gallon when res gets warm and add cold nuted water. Once those roots are either all in or almost all in the water you can take out the water pump. That will help keep your temps down.Once those little babies start to grow up you'lll think differently about a larger res with more plants !! It's easier to use single buckets 1 plant per bucket , you can move them around better and you don't have to deal with crowded plants not getting enough light . What ever works for you though , I get a little clostrophobic (spell?) and think my plants might too ...:peace:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, and for stopping by.

For the water pump: Is there any drawback at all to removing it at this point? I have heard it can make the plant change what it is doing if the tippy top roots stop getting that drip feed, thus slowing growth for a short while. As these are autos, I am watching the clock tick nonstop, I can not make veg last longer. Is it worth it? Does removing it cause any real issues? How much of a difference wouldit make with my temps?

As for the larger res with more plants, it will be 4 plants still, just now each one will be far from its neighbor and the res will be massive. Also, the lid is tough as nails, I can't flex it with less than about 150 pounds of force; should hold up to some tall ladies. The reason I am shying away from buckets is because I am about to set up a new bubble system in the large res. I will be putting 1900 gallons of air per hour into the res. Those pumps will get expensive if I need one for each bucket. Some folks are calling it oxyponics instead of bubble, I think its just a marketing ploy, though. Bubbles is bubbles, right?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share.

Day 14

Ahhh, two weeks in! Growth is still great, they are exploding with new leaves in every possible spot. Roots are over a foot long and twisting into nice, fat cords. Main stems are becoming a little more woody, fattening up nicely.

Res temps still going too high.

RH still too low.

Girls drank about a half gallon of water today. No signs of nute burn, just a few leaves with minor downturn. I may have found the sweet spot (65% of the GH calculator, on mild, not aggressive).

Debating pulling out the water pump, most roots are deep into the res now.

PH still not budging. Was counting on it to fluctuate so all nutes would be absorbed. Stays at 5.9 no matter what. Possible issue? Maybe I will bring it down to 5.8 and see if it stays there.

basement yank the pump it won't hurt anything, but it will help keep the temp down when its out ! If your going to use it again on your next grow clean it good make sure theres no crap or root pieces in it clean the drip lines or replace them for the next grow . They can have mold or fungus growing in them while they sit around ...4 plants in your new res would be good I thought you were going to grow 6 or 8 in there my mistake !! Sounds like everything else is going good ! Have a good grow keep us up dated with some pics too !! :peace:

Day 15

Plants are still going strong, no nute burn signs at all. Growth has increased in the under-foliage areas a good bit. Roots still feel crisp and light, though they are a little darker than before, so far it looks like nute-dye more than pythium or algae. Water smells fresh and clean.

Plant three has decided to stop drooping, and start twisting and growing strangely. Looks completely healthy, just odd. Plant 2 has one anomaly, also. One fan leaf has a stumpy middle leaf. Strong and healthy looking, though. Plant 1 is the rockstar. Fastest root development, thickest stem, largest fan leaves.

The dreaded pump is still in. Have a very expensive solution on its way in a few days. Can deal with the water bottles for a few more days while waiting on the new chiller.

Temps still running high at times, but water bottles are working for the most part.
RH still low, but wet towels are helping.
Room temp still great, 10-12 degree variance daily with high not above 85 and lows not below 71.

Added ~1gal nuted/pHed water to res. pH in res now running 5.9. Seems stuck there. Used a diff tester to verify first was not broken. Wasn't. Added 1.5 capfuls of h2o2 for safeguard against the high res temps.

Tempted to raise lamp a few inches to let plants stretch a bit. Plants packing in very thick now. Lamp currently at 11 inches. Maybe raise it 2 inches tommorow?

Pics are starting to look very different in just 2 days now.

top down of res
IMG_00546.JPG

plant 1
IMG_00553.JPG

IMG_00568.JPG

plant 2
IMG_00576.JPG

IMG_00586.JPG

plant 3
IMG_00595.JPG

IMG_00607.JPG

roots
IMG_00615.JPG

they are looking great bg keep doing what your doing and it will pay off, have you thought about becomeing a Deep Water Culture?

you can do so by displaying the Deep Water Culture logo in your sig,
you should go to bubblhead home and introduce your self. you can get alot of advice there

Back
Top Bottom