1st Time Lazy Grow!

jamesvr6

Hello people!! I really hope this is the right section - sorry if its not. I have been reading these forums for some years and have recently got really fed up with paying top money for rubbish weed and having no money! So, being a bit lazy and not very good at all at this stuff thought I would give it a shot. A bit scared about all this so please be gentle! Sorry if this is long but I should have been posting along the way and just thought I had to let you know about my grow so I am posting now after approx. 10 weeks.

First I was just going to go for a natural grow (I am in UK by the way) so I bought feminized seeds as I did not want to mess around with males - remember I am lazy, lol!

I treated myself to a propogator and planted 4 white widow and 4 northern lights. Within a few days all but 1 had sprouted. I transfered these to 4" pots after 2 weeks. The bad news is I used Miracle Grow compost slow release stuff. I have read differing views on here, mainly bad to be fair but bearing in mind these were going to grow total natural i.e. April - October I hope it wont be too bad.

So Once the plants got a bit bigger, I got more excited!! I decided to plant the other seeds I had including 2 free seeds I was sent (one called sharks breath?? sounds nice!) I basically had in total out of 12 seeds planted 11 grow, not too bad I thought!!

I decided to kit out my downstairs cupboard and also try to grow some under light bulbs to speed up the process and maybe get me a little harvest before the naturals are ready.

I will try to get some pics up but please bear with me. So I have a cupboard that goes under my stairs and at the biggest part is approx 0.9 metres square. I bought 4 large white wooden sheets and basically just stood them up in the cupboard. I then bought a 400 w workman light that I hung from the ceiling. I then had 2 100w energy saver lights. I put 5 plants in the room. 2 from my window sill and 4 straight from the propogator. They were in there for a couple fo weeks and then I transplanted them to their final pots. I used a mixture of 10" pots and 12" pots - not too sure why but thats what I used. I had a 7" fan in there blowing whilst on their 16/8 stage.

The recent ones suffered one loss during the pot transplant, looking back it was far too early but I was lazy! I then increased the lights so I now have in total the 400w centre light, 2 100w energy savers on side lights and then 5 energy savers again 100w hanging from the ceiling and then 2 more 100w energy savers directy over the 2 orignal plants that were from the window sill.

So 5 plants in total in the cupboard now, 2 that were already about a ft in height when they went in there and then 3 that came straight from the propogator after they had sprouted for 7 days.

4 weeks in and I will start flowering tomorrow. I will put them in total darkness for 48 hours and then a 12/12 cycle. The 2 oldies I will call them are huge right now!! One is about 3.5 ft and the other is about 4.5 ft. I will have to do a bit of bending I feel as I know they will grow quite a bit more during flowering. I probably have about a mx of 3 ft left.

So that is about it really. I will keep you updated, any advice would be much appreciated. I am very happy so far though. I have spent quite a bit on everything but bearing in mind I have not really done too much its looking good so far. I have been feeding them a very small amount of miracle grow - I know I have read that is also bad but I already have it now. I may change if people think I should. I have only been using a qtr shot every 3rd watering.

** Update

What is a little worrying is the leaves on the plants in the cupboard. I think the majority of the damage is heat damage and bulb burn damage. But there are lots of worrying dark and yellow spots. I will try to get some pics up. But what makes me feel a little comfortable is the fact that all the plants on the wondow sill are all perfect. No issues at all, all perfect green leaves!!

S8300366.JPG

This the cupboard - sorry need to tilt your head!

S8300369.JPG

in the cupboard!

S8300368.JPG

S8300381.JPG

S8300373.JPG

S8300377.JPG

The above has somne damage. Quite a few of the leaves round the bottom of the plants look like this. I am thinking it is mainly down to heat damage. Although could be some nutrient lack?

I also think it is down to the miracle grow slow release stuff I used as the plants on the window sill look perfect, no issues at all.

S8300383.JPG

S8300371.JPG

S8300380.JPG

S8300382.JPG

The plants are now on day 5 of flowering. The big plants back right of my cupboard I have had to bend right across the cupboard and change some of the lights around as it was getting too tall and was in danger of hitting the halogen light at the top.

I will report back in a few days. I have today thrown away the miracle grow feed I was using and replaced it with some tomato food. I gave them all a thorough watering today with half the rec. dossage. :ganjamon:

:thumb: :thanks:

gave all the ladies a water yesterday and this morning I came downstairs to a smell of eggs??? 2 of the plants on the window sill really smell of eggs, even really close up. Any ideas??

welcome to 420. Your plants are looking real good.I have similar issues with one of my white widows,i think mine is a rust fungus,i sprayed with copper soap yesterday.I should know something in a few days.Sounds like your on the right track.There is a forum at the start on pest and problems it may be able to help.

HH:goodluck:

Thanks hypo, appreciate your comments. I had an answer on another post and feel it is probably down to the early burn and also nutriant burn due to the miracle grow - you live and learn!

Right the 400w halogen light ( I think, its a security / workman light stylee )bulb blew yesterday. I am 1 week into flowering and I can already see a slow down in growth just on the cfl's. Do I a) buy a new bulb or b) treat myself to a new light. I don't want to go above 400w and also want to keep the cost down to a budget.

Suggestions and thoughts please?

Thanks in advance

:cool:

Hello!! Update time!

As you know the halogen light blew - by the way a very cheap way of starting a grow. 400w light for £12!! I have no idea on the light spectrum but it did a great job for me for the first 10 weeks or so. I decided to reat myself to a luxury 400w hps light. £160 all in inc all bits.

S8300391.JPG

S8300392.JPG

The plants are loving the new light!! I must say I was amazed at the different type of light compared to the halogen - now I see the cost difference, lol!!

I am seeing so much growth now 10 days into flowering. Lots of little hairy bits!!

S8300386.JPG

S8300384.JPG

S8300385.JPG

Now I hope I am being paranoid but I think I may have a male or maybe even a hermie? I have no idea what this is and I am scared that they are balls??

S8300388.JPG

But I swear I alos see some pistils??

S8300387.JPG

S8300389.JPG

Can anyone please help or offer any advice??

If it is a male how long do I have before I take it out?

If its a hermie what do I do?

If its a male - I do not want to let my hard work go to waste, can I smoke any of the plant at all?? I appreciate it wont be as strong but would prefer to smoke something as against nothing.

Thank you in advance

:smokin:

** Update. Its friday today, on sunday my ladies would have been in flower for 3 weeks. Things are looking really good!! No worries about males / hermies I was just getting paranoid!!

Here is the forest I now have in my cupboard;

S8300397.JPG

And here are some bud pics, so pleased!!

S8300400.JPG

S8300399.JPG

S8300402.JPG

S8300401.JPG

S8300403.JPG

Opinions? Advice? All much appreciated :cool:

I am still watering with a but of tomato food - don't really want to go too ott as I used miracle gro slow release compost in the beginning......

Thanks for looking!!

:cheer:

Thanks for postin in my J. From what I can see your grow looks pretty good for a DIY on the fly setup!

My hermie didn't show it's ambiguity towards gender till week 3, then there were balls on maybe 5 branches? I just plucked them off, and continued to do so. I upgraded my lights, and in the last 4 days I'm plucking fewer and fewer balls every visit to the garden. Flowers are also starting to fill up as well. I'll be taking pics later, and posting them in my j.

Update time!!! Tuesday, as of Sunday just gone my ladies have now been flowering for 3 weeks!!

Busy day saturday, my cupboard backs onto my garage so I was able to drill a 5" hole through to the garage and install an extractor fan to help with my heat issues.....Sadly after spending nearly £200 on bits and hiring the diamond core cutter I needed I have seen zero drop in temps. Any suggestions?? It is a 23watt fan that can shift over 100 cubic metres of air an hour and my room is 1.5x1.5 m if that!! Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for the poor pic, the Sun light was still on :smokin:

S8300409.JPG

I have the ducting pipe just angled above the light. My thought process was that heat rises. The temps are around 90 degrees.

Now some buds!!

S8300404.JPG

S8300405.JPG

Check the crystals on this one!!

S8300406.JPG

S8300407.JPG

S8300408.JPG

What do you all think??

I am enjoying my first experience so much, each day is like christmas day when I open my cupboard door!

Thanks for reading :popcorn:

Thanks Vapoorize, much appreciated. No there is no passive vent, I have just been chatting to soemone about this in another post. Can you try an explain to my silly head why a little vent fitted at the bottom of the door is better then leaving the door slightly ajar?

Thank you!!

It's looking good that's for sure! What week are you in flower again? Are you using any Nutes?

I have a small 8 inch fan blowing on my girls. It helps with temps, and also makes their stalks stronger.

Dude, they are looking good... From all the pictures I have seen, and from the setup you have, looks like your doing just fine! Also your temps look good if I see that correctly in the second to last pic? Keep providing pictures to keep us updated... Thanks for sharing with us your grow!

-xkjtx

Hey people, long time no see!!

@ Vapoorize - The exhaust fan is a 23 watt bathroom extractor fan.

@ Dreams - Thanks for looking! As of sunday coming they would have been in flower for 5 weeks. Nutes wise - remember I have not done this before!! I used miracle grow slow release soil and I have been adding tomato food during the budding stage.

Not got a camera at the moment so will try to get some pics up at the weekend.

I am amazed at how well they are doing!! The plant at the back right that I bent right over across the whole canopy towards the door has gone crazy!! Where as normally the branches would just grow out / down, this babies branches have all shot for the light. As a result I must have at least 6 or more decent colas from this one plant. Some are quite small at the moment but hopefully they will fill out. The plant at the back left has a huge cola on it and is getting thicker and thicker every day!!

I have installed a fan on a stool that now sits outside the door with it ajar. I am so pleased that with this and the combined new exhaust fan the temps have dropped drom between 5 -10 degrees on average.

I am a little concerned with the look on some of the fan leaves. Some are dead. Some are brown. Some are nearly illuminous green. Curling, basically every picture you have seen of bad leaves I have across my plants - as you can see from some of the early pics above. I appreciate this is down to a number of things; my lack of skills, miracle grow slow release soil etc, etc. I am also thinking that this is getting worse due to the fact that I am in the latter stages of flowering so the flower maybe maximising the nutrients from the fan leaves?? - Maybe someone can help?? All the bud leaves look really healthy with loads of crystals / dust all over them!!

Hope to post some pics up at the weekend, thanks for reading!! :blunt:

update time!!

My ladies are doing fine!!, here are some pics taken yesterday;

DSC004014.JPG

Nice cola coming;

DSC004021.JPG

Rizla pack for size check;

DSC004033.JPG

DSC004041.JPG

DSC004051.JPG

DSC004064.JPG

Outside the cupboard shot;

DSC004072.JPG

look whats lurking beneath the canopy.....

DSC004083.JPG

DSC004106.JPG

Thats all for now, I will try to get some more up soon.

They have now been in flower for 5 weeks and 2 days. What are peoples opinions? Are they what I should be expecting? I could be paranoid but it looks like all growth has stopped? What should be happening now, just rippening or will they fatten up much?

Many thanks, all comments appreciated and thanks for looking

:peace:

Looks like you have some indica dominant plants. So basic flower info for indicas is 8 weeks flowering. Give or take a week or two. You need to check trichomes for harvesting readiness. Do you have a pocket scope?

From what I gather, is they pack on the buds in the last few weeks of flowering.

Your plants look better than mine and I am at 7 weeks flowering!

Wow, cheers dreams appreciate the heads up. Out of interest how can you tell they are indicas? I know they are either white widow or northern lights but how can you tell what is what? Thanks!! Sorry that yours are not so great after 7 weeks, any pics so I can compare? It makes me feel better you saying mine look better after 5 compared to your 7.

I hope to buy a pocket scope at the weekend, will 10x get me by?

Thanks for looking and appreciate the comments :grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom