Second Part of xKJTx's Grow!

xkjtx

First off, Please Please Please read this thread first (Click to open) to see how these little ones grew up, cause it was pretty bad and no one thought I could get them back to where they should have been when they were small...

Major UPDATE!!!

First, I added(just for now) one more light(100w) for heat and light(of coarse). It has been keeping my heat at 79-80F. Very nice!!!...
2010-07-08_15_31_57.jpg

I may have heat problems with this next picture, but I will do what ever it takes to make it right for my babies... GG, tell me what you think?
2010-07-08_15_37_19.jpg

I may have it done today. I have everything I need in the picture in the picture! lol... This picture just shows you the gist of what I am doing... I will be updating later, with more info on my little ones, just wanted to start this tread in the journal section..

Thanks!
-xkjtx

OK, this isn't done just yet, but please let me know what you think?

4 X 100w (1600 Lumens each) + 4 75w (1100L each) = 10,800 Lumens

I got the idea from Pres over here! Thanks man!!! Plus Rep!

2010-07-08_18_37_42.jpg

2010-07-09_04_36_53.jpg

I will be putting the little ones in the top of the hood, instead of them in the
back like that. They don't look good back there, but I had to do it quick cause
the lights were going off and I didn't want them to be without light in the morn!
So let me know what you think? Also would this be to much for just 2 right
now? I will be making more, but for now this is all I am doing...

-xkjtx

Ok, so the lights came on at 6am, I got up at 9am and watered. The temp was at 86-88F, so I put in another fan and it brought it back down to 80-81F. So I thought about it and you need to make the room out side the room colder and then that will make the room inside the room cooler... I turned on my AC and made a little directional cloth on the ceiling, so that the AC would flow towards the room where my babies are... I will see in a bit if that worked.. One thing I noticed when I watered today, the water on the leaves dried up quicker then when I had the other lights... Will this be a problem or is the normal for that much light? I shouldn't water any more then I have been. When I first potted them I was doing 200ml every 2 days(or when the dirt wouldn't stick to my figure). I do give the plants a 3 day week end, before watering and nuteing them on Monday! I have stepped up on the watering just a little bit, because they are getting bigger and they seem to be liking it! No more droopy leaves, and the leaves that were nute deprived, are starting to get green right at the stem!!! I think I have fully saved these little ones and I think I might have a male and a female!!! How crazy would that be on my first grow! I would so clone and breed!!! Please let me know what everyone thinks about my new setup? I think its going to work out great!!!

Here is how high the lights are. Please tell me if they are to low and I will raise? I think there just right for how big they are and with that much light in that small of space. 20" across, 3' tall, 18" deep is my grow area! I will be making more room for when they get bigger, but I think I am going to train them to stay small...
2010-07-09_11_56_58.jpg

Here they are by each other.
2010-07-09_11_55_38.jpg

Here they are up close!

Lately: She has already in 12 hours grown 4 leaves and starting to grow more. Check my last pic of her and you will see!!!
2010-07-09_12_12_58.jpg

2010-07-09_12_10_56.jpg

Here is Kaylie, my first. She is getting so big!!!

2010-07-09_12_12_21.jpg

2010-07-09_12_11_28.jpg

So please don't hold back! Let me know what you think?

-xkjtx

You and yours are do just fine.
:peace:

Thanks for the reply! So you think I have pulled my head out of my ass and saved them? I did have it up there pretty far when I first started... Lmao!!! What about how high the lights are? Do you think they should be brought down, or are they just fine? I said before, after I water the leaves, the water is gone with in 5-10 mins... Also, Thanks for the rep!!!

-xkjtx

P.S. Would there be any way of telling what kind I have? Strain? When I started these Seeds, they were sitting for 7-8 years in a zip lock bag and then in a pill bottle!... But they are bag seeds... If there is any way, please let me know? Thanks!

P.S.S Sorry, forgot to ask this too... I found this site CLICK when I asked the same question in google... So should I put some Worms in my soil? Or will this hurt my babies? Thanks!

4 X 100w (1600 Lumens each) + 4 75w (1100L each) = 10,800 Lumens

I will be putting the little ones in the top of the hood, instead of them in the
back like that. They don't look good back there, but I had to do it quick cause
the lights were going off and I didn't want them to be without light in the morn!
So let me know what you think? Also would this be to much for just 2 right
now? I will be making more, but for now this is all I am doing...

-xkjtx

To the best of my knowledge...

...there's a minimum amount of light that you want based on the size of your space, but you are only helping your plants by adding more, unless you add so much that they get too hot. If you can control the added heat with fans/AC/exhaust, use as much light as you can afford and as much as will reasonably fit in your grow space.

I've read that the minimum recommended CFL wattage is anywhere from 25-50 watts per square foot...depends on who you ask. Your 100W equivalent bulbs are either 23 or 26W, and I think the 75s are 18W. So you've got at least 164 CFL watts in there. Your space of 20" x 18" is 2.5 square feet, so you've got 65 watts per square foot...I'd say that's excellent. My little girls are in a space just a little bit bigger than yours, and I actually have slightly less total wattage than you are running. I've got just over 40W/sq ft on my little ones, so you've got me beat!

Exactly how far away are those bulbs from the plants? I do not think they should be moved farther away; if anything, they should be closer. CFLs do their best work within a few inches of the plants, so get them as close as you can without burning them. I like to have the tops of my small plants no more than 3 inches from the nearest CFL, and sometimes go as close as 1.5 inches. I've heard some people say even just an inch is okay, but personally I've burned the tips by getting that close.

P.S. Would there be any way of telling what kind I have? Strain? When I started these Seeds, they were sitting for 7-8 years in a zip lock bag and then in a pill bottle!... But they are bag seeds... If there is any way, please let me know? Thanks!

P.S.S Sorry, forgot to ask this too... I found this site CLICK when I asked the same question in google... So should I put some Worms in my soil? Or will this hurt my babies? Thanks!

You may be able to tell if you've got a sativa or an indica on your hands based on what the leaves look like (Google "indica vs sativa"), but beyond that, the answer is basically no.

Regarding your second question, do not put worms in your soil, and more importantly...do not ever trust anything you read on Yahoo Answers. I'm dead serious. However, worm castings are reported to be awesome, and you can even make your own.

Okay, two more things I just thought of, sorry...

Get yourself a hydrometer. Humidity is going to matter A LOT when you flower, and it would be good to know now where the RH stands under current conditions.

Also, how tall are the plants? I'm just curious because it's hard to tell from your photo angles. Can you try getting profile pics of them sometime?

Well, I checked out how high my lights are and from the top of Kaylie it is about 1 foot. From Lately it is about 1'1" away... I have 3 fans in there now, but the temp is staying around 82-83F. I am adjusting them and will try and make them work. If I have to I will buy another. I will never trust Yahoo answers about pot.. lmao.. I think that answer was for normal plants! he he... So I have listened to everything and I now know that I will be happy! Thank you GG for your patients and answers! I will become a great grower! Updates every week~!!!

-xkjtx

EDIT: Kaylie is about 3 1/2 - 4inches tall. Lately is about 2-3inches tall. I do not have a hydrometer and I was just thinking that my self! Thanks for reminding me... I saw a humidifier at Home Depot for 22 bucks. Maybe I will get that!

Sanibel, thanks for the reps! I worked hard on it...

EDIT #2: Please let me know if I should be putting more water on my plants now that I got new and more lights? I would think I should, because it will dry up faster with the heat and air flow to keep down the heat...? I am doing 200ml of water every 2nd day and week ends I water Friday morn and then wait till Monday morn(when I water with nutes). So Monday, Wednesday and Friday is when I water... I am precise on my water with a glass cup that I can fill 100ml in it(it has lines on it to tell me how much 100ml is). I usually do 100ml poured in the soil with the glass cup and then spray all over the leaves and soil with the last 100ml on both plants. Hope this is OK? They have been reacting very well to it... Anyways, Thanks again for all the help guys at 420!!!

-xkjtx

EDIT #3: Love the edit button so the thread doesn't get over posted in...

I checked on the temp and the fans are doing there job. The temp has stayed at 81F stable. I believe right at the plants it is 80F. I have one fan blowing right at both pots, so I think I will be just fine now. The next thing I need to look into is the humidity... Next on my list!

When I said that humidity was important, I should have specified that it's actually LACK of humidity that's important. I am NOT, however, saying that you should keep it as dry as possible...that doesn't happen until the end of flowering. Read this.

The time you might actually need a humidifier is if you ever make clones, as they get their moisture mostly from the air until the grow roots. But that's another lesson for another day. :)

Frequency of watering should not happen based on what day of the week it is or how many days it has been since you watered last. The amount of water should not be predetermined, but rather based on what your plant needs at the time. Does the water reach the bottom of the pot and drip out with the amount you're using now?

Edited to add: get those plants closer to the lights! Much, much closer. Get the bulbs 2" from the tops of the plants, seriously.

Also, I really meant do not trust Yahoo Answers for ANYTHING. Not just marijuana. Stupidity is rampant there.

Lol, your the best GG... As for cloning, I looked into it and will be doing that after I get the first 2 setup and rolling... If they come out to be 1 girl and 1 boy, I think that would be the best thing to happen, don't you? Then comes the breeding and clones... hehe... This is so much fun its like another job!!!... Hope the pay is better?... Lmao!

The water doesn't seem to come out at all, at the bottom, with the amount I'm using... But I would hate to over water... So what do you think? I have 1 gallon pots with really good soil mixed with alot of time release stuff that lasts up to nine months!...(from what the package says anyways. lol)

As for the lights, I was thinking if they were closer, it would heat them up to much? Right now the heat is at 79-80F, with the added fans... But if you want me to and think I should(Just to add that the room is tiny and when the door closes I think it will get hotter.) I will for you!!! Check my updated fans for my room. It worked great with the heat! I was at 85F and couldn't bring it down, but I saw Vapoorize's setup and the position that his fan was at! It gave me the best idea!! Check it!

This is how high:Rasta: the lights are from the plants...
2010-07-09_15_13_04.jpg

This is the fan and it clamps on the light!
2010-07-09_20_38_03.jpg

I adjusted my chains so that the weight was balanced!
2010-07-09_20_38_22.jpg

This is the new improved grow room! One fan connects to the grow lamp and blows towards the back. Then the one on the top of the grow lamp blow out the top of the grow room. The first big blue one is not even on because I did this to the other fans! They are at 78-79 now! It works great!!! Thanks again Vapoorize!!! Plus Reps!
2010-07-09_20_48_22.jpg

-xkjtx

EDIT!!!!: I am SCARED that the fans are making the soil dry quicker! I just watered today and stuck my finger into the soil, and only the top knuckle to the tip of my finger(after sticking in the soil to my second knuckle) was damp... What do you think??????

Yeah, the fans might be making your soil dry out faster, but that doesn't hurt anything. I'd call it a non-concern.

I still think you need to significantly decrease the distance between the lights and the plants, even if it means you have to take more measures to decrease the air temp.

I don't think the fan hanging from the reflector is a good idea; it looks like it's blocking some of your light. Would it be possible to put a fan at the bottom, sort of between or next to the plants, and pointing/slanted upwards? Fan positioning has been a near-constant trial-and-error process for me.

You need to stop getting so scared over everything, okay? I know these are your babies and you love them, but not every tiny question needs to be a urgent concern. Take a deep breath and realize that if your plants look healthy, something like the soil drying up fast is absolutely no reason to freak out. Chill, dude. Smoke a bowl or something!

You should get some (a very vague term, I know) runoff when watering. I'm actually not sure how much is preferred so I will decline to tell you how much my plants get...I could be doing it wrong. But I'm almost positive that if nothing is coming out the bottom when you water, you aren't giving them enough. I know you're concerned about overwatering because we all told you before that you were giving too much, but keep in mind that "overwatering" is as much (if not more) about the frequency than the amount. Cannabis likes wet and dry periods. Water until it runs off some, and then don't water again until you stick your finger 2" into the soil and it feels mostly dry and your finger doesn't come out slathered in dirt.

I'm actually kind of surprised that the plants aren't stretching to try to get to those lights. But anyway, get 'em closer! And maybe back where you have the thermometer sitting now would be a good place to put a fan.

Hey xkjtx, GrowinGirls pretty much gave ya the hookup on information. Your doing good and right now there's not a whole lot you should do for them. Just make sure they get water and light for the time being.

You shouldn't be using any nutes yet, especially if you have time released nutes in your soil mix. As far as watering goes I would just use your moisture meter and water when it is about out of the moist range.

As far as heat goes if you encounter some issues again, for the time being you can always pull a bulb or two. You have plenty right now and yes some would say more is better, but at this stage you'll be ok. That is until you can get some proper air exchange in your room.

I can give ya some advice but please don't take it the wrong way. I made the mistake myself as well, but you have to get all that bottled up excitement out of ya. Or at least contain it. All that excitement is where most of the mistakes come from. Just be patient and let the plants tell you when they want some attention.

Your doing good! :goodjob:

Alright, I have moved the fan because I moved the lights down. It was a hot day yesterday and with my excitement, it got really hot in the room... lol The AC kicked on and the temp went down to 76F I think it stayed that way for the whole 6 hours off time... I moved the fans to make it flow better and it seems to work great. I even had to turn off one of the fans cause it was getting to cold... Right now I am just going to watch and talk to my girls... Thanks for all the help! They would have never survived without me coming to this site... 420magazine ALL THE WAY!!!

Here is what my room looks like now! I think I am going to keep it this way for a while, or untill I see them getting taller... The lights are 5 1/2 inches away from Kaylie and 5 inches away from Lately! The temp is at 78-79F!!! Sweet shit!!!
2010-07-10_09_26_34.jpg

I do put the towel up when I am not in the room so that the fans can work there magic!
2010-07-10_09_25_56.jpg

I have to agree with Pres about excitement. I am on my first grow and the first two months I was smothering my plants with to much attention.

Your plants look good and in the next weeks will really double in size.

Love the little Buddha in the back :ganjamon:

Got you bookmarked. :peace:

If you can, have the fans blowing from below near the intake (at pot level) to above towards the light. That lowered the temp in my room 5 degrees.

I second this suggestion. Those two fans look like they are just blowing air around above the reflector, which I don't think is of much use.

Otherwise, though, things look fantastic.

Edited to clarify...the way I wrote that might sound like I said your reflector was of no use. To the contrary, your reflector is pretty sweet. I've been meaning to compliment you on the excellent DIY skills there. I just mean that having fans blowing around up above there is not doing much for you.

Back
Top Bottom