GG Goes Loco with Coco - Feat. The Blues and Shark Attack!

GrowingGirls

Hey y'all. I've been up to my elbows in coco for the past few days (while also maintaining my other grow), and I'm pretty excited about it. So far I love working with this stuff, and I thought we could use another coco thread here. So even though there's not much to see yet, I decided to get the journal rolling since I'm wide awake at 4:30 am.

What strain is it? Shark Attack, Blue Hash, Blue Widow, Royal Haze
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Most of these are mostly Indica
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Fresh seeds
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Coco
What is in your mix? Sunleaves coco coir (brick, washed)
What size pot? < 1 qt to start
Size of light? TBD (as much as I can fit in the space)
Is it aircooled? It will be for flowering if not sooner
Temp of Room/cab? Will shoot for mid-70s
RH of Room/cab? 60-ish? (TBD)
PH of media? 6.0 (current input is water adjusted to 6.5)
Type and strength of ferts used? House & Garden Cocos A&B (not yet)

This is my first time growing from purchased femmed seeds, and I am pretty excited to have something growing besides bagseed.

Speaking of bagseeds, I do have a few of those in coco that should be popping up soon, and I also put a bunch of clones from my previous bagseed mother plant in coco. I'll probably include those in this journal.

So here's a crappy picture of what I've got...4 pots of coco all ready to go, and 4 seeds all wet and getting ready to go. 3 of 4 are open after 36 hours.

IMG01975-20100829-0418.jpg

Today I gave up on the 2 bagseeds that hadn't popped yet and chose a few new ones...I'm trying the paper towel method this time. It worked for my femmed seeds with the exception of the Royal Haze, which I moved into a cup of water today after very carefully scoring it up a bit more with my razor blade.

A couple of the clones look slightly irritated with how I stressed them out with the ill-timed move to coco, but I'm not worried. And I can always make more...the mama plant needs another trim.

I need to brush up on my nute knowledge and figure out when I can start feeding the coco clones.

I'm subbed!:popcorn:

Can't wait to see how you do with the coco and the new strains! I remember reading a Pit Viper post a while back saying good things about the House & Garden nutes. I'll bet that will work really well for you.

I do feel like I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the option of continuous release fertilizers like Osmocote Plus or Dynamite plant food which you can probably get in your local hardware store (for a very reasonable price ~$16 for enough to grow a LOT of plants). A number of folks (including me!) are having good luck with the OC+ and the dynamite is a very similar product. You would be the first person I know of using it with coco, but a number of folks have suggested that it would probably work really well in that medium. Anyway, just wanted to toss that out there!

Can't wait to see all those babies get going!
:goodluck:

I'm subbed!:popcorn:

Can't wait to see how you do with the coco and the new strains! I remember reading a Pit Viper post a while back saying good things about the House & Garden nutes. I'll bet that will work really well for you.

I do feel like I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the option of continuous release fertilizers like Osmocote Plus or Dynamite plant food which you can probably get in your local hardware store (for a very reasonable price ~$16 for enough to grow a LOT of plants). A number of folks (including me!) are having good luck with the OC+ and the dynamite is a very similar product. You would be the first person I know of using it with coco, but a number of folks have suggested that it would probably work really well in that medium. Anyway, just wanted to toss that out there!

Can't wait to see all those babies get going!
:goodluck:

Thanks! I saw Osmocote on the shelf at Home Depot recently and thought "Hey, that's the stuff some of the folks on 420mag use...maybe I should try it". I think I was low on funds at the time so I decided to skip it.

Maybe I'll pick some up and use it on just a couple of the clones (I have 8, but am giving 4 to a friend) for a comparison study. Definitely going to use the H&G for my femmed seeds this time around, though.

Thanks! I saw Osmocote on the shelf at Home Depot recently and thought "Hey, that's the stuff some of the folks on 420mag use...maybe I should try it". I think I was low on funds at the time so I decided to skip it.

Maybe I'll pick some up and use it on just a couple of the clones (I have 8, but am giving 4 to a friend) for a comparison study. Definitely going to use the H&G for my femmed seeds this time around, though.

If you decide that you want to try it be sure to look for Osmocote Plus. It's got a more complete supply of micro-nutrients and the npk is said to be better suited to cannabis (at least by DocBud). In my area, they don't stock the Plus at Home Depot, but they do carry it at Ace Hardware (which is pretty common around here).

The House & Garden Cocos A&B looks like a great choice for your new brood. It's interesting that coco releases potassium during a grow.

Blue Hash is peeking out. :)

IMG02078-20100903-0851.jpg
Glad to see that baby poking her head out! Looking forward to seeing those progress for you. I've got 5 freebie seeds from when I got my Jack Herer seeds that are supposed to be hash bud (regular not fem). I'm planning to germinate them at the end of my current grow (around the end of the month!) and do a 12/12 grow with them.

In a perverse way, I'd like kind of like to see a male plant come along. Just want to get more comfortable that I would be able to spot a male 'ya know? It's one thing looking at a picture and another identifying tiny little characteristics like that on a plant. At least doing a 12/12, I wouldn't be spending a lot of time and effort taking care of a plant that's just gonna get yanked. My JH plants were over 3 months old before I knew they were females! Hope to achieve results a bit quicker next time!

Looking great there GG! Keep up the good work! :bravo:

I've got 5 freebie seeds from when I got my Jack Herer seeds that are supposed to be hash bud (regular not fem). I'm planning to germinate them at the end of my current grow (around the end of the month!) and do a 12/12 grow with them.

In a perverse way, I'd like kind of like to see a male plant come along. Just want to get more comfortable that I would be able to spot a male 'ya know? It's one thing looking at a picture and another identifying tiny little characteristics like that on a plant. At least doing a 12/12, I wouldn't be spending a lot of time and effort taking care of a plant that's just gonna get yanked. My JH plants were over 3 months old before I knew they were females! Hope to achieve results a bit quicker next time

I definitely want to watch that grow...be sure to let me know when you get a journal started for it! I need to get caught up on your current one...heading there now. :reading420magazine:

Hey GG!

Always nice to see more coco journals! Sounds like you have some great strain too :)

Will you be watering the coco every day ?

Hey GG!

Always nice to see more coco journals! Sounds like you have some great strain too :)

Will you be watering the coco every day ?

The watering is something I needed to decide days ago. :)

Seems to be conflicting opinions on that...some folks say to treat it like soil. I need to go back and re-read your journal; I checked it out last week.

Back
Top Bottom