1st Timer with Grow Box

ppablo

Hey there, . I've been a long time smoker and it gets expensive paying for not so great weed. So i figured I wanted to start a small personal grow
I've been doing a lot of reading and finally decided to start a grow box.
The box is a 2.5'x2'x4.5' box, I covered it in white poly, and put in a 250w metal halide bulb at first. I have a HPS bulb as well but i will not use it till its time for flowering. I'm not sure on what the strain is, but my friend brought back some seeds from BC and he gave me a few of them.

Here's the box as it was first started.
e65106eb.jpg

I then added doors and painted the inside white.(dont worry thats not the light im using)
486d0a8f.jpg

I decided to put white poly in since i got it for pretty cheap. I didnt get any pics of the box with the light in it. But heres one of the box sealed up
0f1f7fa9.jpg

I also added in some big PC fans to help exhaust out the hot air and so far the temp is staying at a consistent 80-82F

And because this is in the journal section, here are my 2 baby's so far. Here they are 12 days old from seeds. They are about 1 1/2" tall. I have them under a 250W MH light for 24/0. They are in some "Premium Organic soil". I will start giving them nutes probably within the next week or so.
205a41a0.jpg

ca8cdba5.jpg

Based on the pics, how do you think my plants look? Can you tell what kind of strain it will be yet? Ive seen other journals and their plants are almost double in size by 2 weeks. Mine seem to be getting more bushy rather than growing vertically at all. Anyway I'll keep you all posted and hope that these turn into females. But until then any suggestions and advice i am open to.

ok for those interested here's an update.
plants are still on 24/0 with 250w MH lights. The temperature is staying at a constant 25C (80F) They're starting to get quite bushy.I also started adding nutes to the water. I'm using a 3 part system by plant life products. its called "Holland secret". So far so good, they are looking healthy overall except for 1 or 2 leaves which are slightly yellowing at the tips.
DAY 17 from seed.
d171.jpg

d17_.jpg

Great Start.

I have never seen such bushy seedlings. I do not see you having to top these plants. Hope they are both female.

The soil in the pink pot is miracle grow with some moisture control. it has a bit of nutes in it as well.But when i transplanted to a bigger pot i put organic in, so its mixed. The soil in the gray pot is just plain organic soil.

Ya it really is looking good and now Its time for you to prune the bottom leaves it helps to tell the plant its time to move up and sprout new sections. Also you can start to see the sex of your plant. Try and take a close up of the branch and the stalk.

Here are some better photos of Day 20. Can you tell which sex it is?, and how do i go about pruning the bottom leaves?
D20a.JPG

d20b.JPG

d20a_.JPG

d20b_.JPG

Again Great Plant man.:blunt: Now I can't say for sure what sex it is, the pictures are still not close enough its something you'll have to get real close and take a see for your self. There are some great videos on sex type check out jason0930 on Youtube. I think I'm seeing some Veg in the corners and that is a good sign. Now pruning is easy clean trimmers and get as close to the stalk with out harming it and DO NOT go crazy From the pics I'm seeing three almost four extensions. You should prune every thing below the first extension. This will focus the plant on growing taller and you will never see buds on those bottom leaves. Hope this helps. :goodluck:

Behold the power of a green thumb, and metal halides! Yours at 20 days look slightly bushier than mine at just over 30 days (LED/CFL).

Very nice!

New Update - Day 25 from seed-

PLants are still under 250 watt MH bulb, 24/0. They are still growing quite bushy however not too tall. I'm thinking its almost time to re-pot into its last home, a 5 gallon pot. I've started adding a tiny bit more nutes. However, im using regular ph'd watered every second time. I haven't done too much pruning for im not 100% sure what to cut. i already cut off the very bottom leaves which were pretty much dead. Could someone let me know which leaves are alright to snip off?
The plant in the white pot seems to be showing white hairs at the nodes leading me to believe its a female. I think i might see the same thing on the other plant as well.I'll know for sure when i start flowering. I tried to get some closer pics but the camera im using gets blurry if i get too close.
Anyway here are some pics @ day 25
D251.JPG

D25a.JPG

D25a_.JPG

D25b.JPG

D25b_.JPG

Some strains show pre-flowers at 5 or 6th node... but most likely after a week of 12/12. Just my own experience. :slide:

True but they usually show their true sex after going into 12/12. It can take 2-5 weeks in 12/12 before showing true sex. Pre-flowers dont necessarily mean its going to be 100% female so you don't want to go by that alone.

OK here are my 2 plants on Day 30 from seed. The bottom leaves were starting to get completely yellow which i think was due to not enough nutes in the water.I added a bit more in on the next watering, and it helped out.
I also transferred the plants to their final pot, a 5 gallon. Temps are still staying at an even 25-26C (80-82F), with lights still on 24/0.

d30a.JPG

d30c.JPG

d30d.JPG

d30b.JPG

Here's just another pic of where i put fans
temp21.JPG

IMG_000916.JPG

When would i be able to start flowering??, I've been reading that I'll have to wait till at least 6-8 weeks from seed. I'm thinking based on how big they get I'll try holding out to 8 weeks to have a bigger yield.

Back
Top Bottom