300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro 300w LED vs. 400w HID

Ok thanks..... But my 300w GLH unit I have runs at 360w to 365w after it's been on for 1/2 hour or longer...

Hey SS, do me a favor if you could. Can you look at the GLH unit and tell me if the two rows on the end have LEDs in them, or not--? Looks like they're dark from the product pics.

Thanks mate, ;)

-TL

P.S. +Rep for your journal!

Hey SS, do me a favor if you could. Can you look at the GLH unit and tell me if the two rows on the end have LEDs in them, or not--? Looks like they're dark from the product pics.

My GLH 300w unit dose have the two rows empty... I was wondering the exact same thing... Great ?

SS if your last two rows are full in your 300w unit then that might explain the 20w difference between your readings and what I'm getting with my 300w unit..

SS I hate to do this but I can't seem to clearly read the wattage numbers on those meter pics.. Could you possibly type in the numbers for me so I can properly follow along... Again sorry and thanks for your time and effort..

Also are those numbers with the units on for at least 1/2 hour?

Sure thing dog.

Yes, the bulbs ran for 30 min or more to stabilize things before taking readings.

P10007902.JPG

This is the reading on the GLH Spectra 300, which is 382w.

P1000802.JPG

This is the Lumatek digital ballast and Sylvania 400w MH bulb, at 428w.

P1000812.JPG

and finally, this is my 400w magnetic ballast with the same 400w MH bulb at 514w.

sorry the pics were hard to read, it was hard trying to include both the meter and the light while eliminating glare on the meter's LCD.

Thanks mate, ;)

-TL

P.S. +Rep for your journal!

My GLH 300w unit dose have the two rows empty... I was wondering the exact same thing... Great ?

SS if your last two rows are full in your 300w unit then that might explain the 20w difference between your readings and what I'm getting with my 300w unit..

I'll check that out and report back tonight.

I avoid looking directly at the light as much as possible, but I got some welding glasses, so it's not a problem.

wow,, so detailed,, I am so glad I caught this one early,,, it is a b*tch trying to get caught up to a SS journal,,, just so much information everyday,, like being in school (in a good way)

interesting that a 300 watt led with no hood is the same (or a tad bit warmenr) as a 400 w HID with hood..

Interesting and pertinent, because although the watts are close between the two lights, I can run one in summer (so far) without additional cooling measures, but not the other.

I can run a 250w HID without air-cooling, but no way I can run the 400w setup.

Glad you're following Herb Zen ;)

Thanks SS.. :grinjoint:

Based on your 1/2 hour stabilize test (like I did). It appears that your 300w light is defiantly pullin 20 more watts then mine.. If your end two rows are empty like mine. Then I wonder what gives?

If on the other hand the end two rows are full then Yeah that would explain the extra 20w..

Did you check your unit as soon as you got it?

Perhaps there is some degree of drop as the unit ages?

First Day... You got me wanting to check it again tonight..lol

I think you just might have an updated version...IDK

Also if you look on the GLH web site you will see were it says the 300w pulls 360w actual... Mine stabelized out at 362w but I also saw 358w pop up...

OK, there are no rows of unlit LED's at the sides. There's about a 3/4" blank space between the last row of LED's on the sides and the border of the lens, but no unlit LED's anywhere.

Could the difference possibly be within the range of normal manufacturing tolerance?

I have two Galaxy 150w digital ballasts, and one uses around 12w more than the other. With 300w+, maybe the variance is even higher, but I don't know if LED tech lends itself to direct comparison with HID as regards variance between units.

OK, there are no rows of unlit LED's at the sides. There's about a 3/4" blank space between the last row of LED's on the sides and the border of the lens, but no unlit LED's anywhere.

Could the difference possibly be within the range of normal manufacturing tolerance?

The normal 288w LED board has a 12 x 24 profile. So, does that mean this board has 24 spaces lengthwise that are filled with LEDs, or do you have 22 rows and the board just stops there? (Maybe a pic would help)

Knowing that, we can probably shed some light on the watt draw and 'vs. HID' questions, if you want.

Thanks!

-TL

THE MOTHERS

These are the two Pure Power Plant seeds I sprouted two weeks ago that I'm going to be taking clones from for this comparison.

P10004571.JPG

P1000443.JPG

P10004902.JPG

P1000499.JPG

P1000509.JPG

P10005261.JPG

P1000742-1.JPG

P10007461.JPG

P10007491.JPG

These have been a pleasure to grow so far. When I read about the strain, there were a few comments about it being touchy in veg, but I sure haven't seen any of that. One of them got sprayed with nutes and has a few small spots, but they're very strong and healthy seedlings. No complaints from me.

As insurance, when I trimmed the lower branches yesterday on one of my Violator Kush hybrids from my other grow, I took 4 flowering clones and put them in gel cubes to see if they will root. They were droopy at first, but have perked up nicely, so we'll see how that goes.

I think with using more than one cloning method with the PPP clones, and hopefully having the flowering VK clones root as backup, we will have some good identical clones for this comparison grow.

aaawwww... babies are so cute :hookah:

SS,, how did you get that pic, without it totally blinding you/camera? I tried to take a pic once of my 90w ufo, and just got a big purple blur.. lol

Back
Top Bottom