300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

re: GrowLEDHydro 300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

You're a big help to a lot of us Setting Sun, and it's much appreciated. Thanks for doing all these great grows & journals:thanks:
:peace:

37 DAYS FLOWERING

IMG_77491.JPG

THE HID PLANTS

IMG_7727.JPG

IMG_7730.JPG

IMG_7729.JPG

IMG_7728.JPG

IMG_77332.JPG

IMG_77412.JPG

IMG_7744.JPG

IMG_77382.JPG

IMG_7759.JPG

IMG_7760.JPG

IMG_7746.JPG

THE LED PLANTS

IMG_7710.JPG

IMG_7711.JPG

IMG_7713.JPG

IMG_77181.JPG

IMG_7716.JPG

IMG_7723.JPG

IMG_77191.JPG

IMG_7725.JPG

IMG_77542.JPG

IMG_77511.JPG

IMG_77551.JPG

I like to stay guarded about commenting on stuff until there's what I consider a fairly significant difference between groups, but it definitely looks like the LED plants are pulling ahead at this point.

The main colas on the LED plants are pretty much completely filled in, whereas on the HID plants, there's still stem showing on all but one, and the overall mass of the buds on the LED plants looks greater.

Both the main colas and the secondary buds on the LED plants are larger and more developed.

As far as frost goes, at this point, I think the pics demonstrate that the LED plants are significantly frostier.

Both sets of plants are very healthy and vigorously blooming, and the lights are each optimized to the best of my ability, so I feel good about it being a fair comparison.

I'm not declaring a winner or anything like that, because it's not over, and because there's more than one way to define "winner" anyway, depending on what a person's priorities are.

Each person will have their own "winner" when all is said and done. I'm merely reporting what I'm observing at this point in time.

If one of these lights can produce *both* the highest yield *and* better quality buds, I would think most of us would consider that the winner, but we're only about halfway through bloom.

I'm completely fascinated by this grow, and very grateful that it's going so smoothly.

:thanks: for your encouragement, support, and continued participation!

WOW
Very nice!
Those LED bud are as frosty as the tops of my 1000w dual-arc.
What's the spectrum of the LED's?
Thank you again for acting as a virtual R&D department.

I agree... the LED's have had a little extra something that's starting to become an obvious difference... I think that "tuned" light must just be a little easier for the plant to deal with. Still, says a lot about the tried and true HPS technology that it takes the best LED light out there to beat it.

Nice work Sun - you are truly an asset to our community. I hope everyone realizes just how much... :)

SS,

Even over the ethernet, those LED girls are looking more solid than the HIDs are now. But both are beautiful harems, you're a good sheik :smokin:

If you're tallying votes on your next comparison, put mine in for an LED/CMH throwdown.

Also, thanks for all the effort you put in these comparisions. Guys like you show guys like me what's possible... and I can take that to the pipe :grinjoint:

Great comparison ,i'm looking at this grow thru both led and hid eyes.The leds look a little better,but the price diffirence doesn't compute.I will wait till completion for final judgement. thanks for takin the time and effort to show this result:nicethread: + reps

HH

Re: 420 Cannasumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro 300w LED vs. 400w HID

Wow, I fell two whole sets of pictures behind.:cheer:

Looking great SS. Thanks for all the hard (but fun) work. :cheer:

Only for you guys would I tolerate a buzzing ballast for 12 weeks, lol.

Just keep smoking the PPP and you won't even notice it.

I'm kind of partial to the LED group currently. But I think it's gonna go down to the wire, there'll be no knock-out, it'll have to go to the judge's score card... And it looks like it'll be good to be a judge.

Good sativa buds and a big pile o'hash trim, you gonna git way stoned [I mean medicated], bro!

b;)

Indeed I am :)

but I don't want to trivialize the medicinal value of medical marijuana.

I'm pretty sure both of us would be spinning our wheels most of the time without it ;).

When I started using medical marijuana, I weighed 240 lbs. My weight is now down to 185, which is what I weighed when I got married 26 years ago, and that weight loss has come about directly because medical marijuana allows me to exercise despite having had back surgery and chronic back issues.

I'm diabetic, so if I can't exercise I can't manage my diabetes, and that's a certain death sentence.

It was prescribed to me primarily for my back, but having a pretty healthy case of OCD on top of some ADHD, it also helps me focus and get things accomplished, instead of being scatter-brained all the time.

Medical marijuana also allows me stay off opiate pain meds, which I become quickly tolerant of and habituated to, so it allows me to function as a productive member of society, in addition to keeping society a safer place for one and all.

It's an amazing herb that provides very effective therapy for several medical conditions, and I'm almost certain I wouldn't be alive today without it.

Indeed I am :)

but I don't want to trivialize the medicinal value of medical marijuana.

I'm pretty sure both of us would be spinning our wheels most of the time without it ;).

When I started using medical marijuana, I weighed 240 lbs. My weight is now down to 185, which is what I weighed when I got married 26 years ago, and that weight loss has come about directly because medical marijuana allows me to exercise despite having had back surgery and chronic back issues.

I'm diabetic, so if I can't exercise I can't manage my diabetes, and that's a certain death sentence.

It was prescribed to me primarily for my back, but having a pretty healthy case of OCD on top of some ADHD, it also helps me focus and get things accomplished, instead of being scatter-brained all the time.

Medical marijuana also allows me stay off opiate pain meds, which I become quickly tolerant of and habituated to, so it allows me to function as a productive member of society, in addition to keeping society a safer place for one and all.

It's an amazing herb that provides very effective therapy for several medical conditions, and I'm almost certain I wouldn't be alive today without it.

Well said brother. :peace:

From my own experience, few things improve the outlook on the quality of life of a pain sufferer than a simple dose of cannabis.

WOW
Very nice!
Those LED bud are as frosty as the tops of my 1000w dual-arc.
What's the spectrum of the LED's?
Thank you again for acting as a virtual R&D department.

thanks!

They are frosting up very nicely considering they still have around 3-4 weeks to go.

This is copied from GLH's website as regards the spectrum:

So, how does the Spectra LED light spectrum grow light work?

In a nutshell it is a series of 9 different colored 3 watt LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) that emit 12 wavelengths of light in all visible colors of the light spectrum. These lights are specially calibrated to interact with one another and target the absorption peaks of chlorophyll A, chlorophyll B, carotenoids, phytochrome, cryptochromes and phototropins. The chlorophyll is vital for photosynthesis, as you most likely know, and absorbs light most strongly in the visible spectrum of blue and red, but also in all other colors of visible light, even a tiny amount of green light. The cartenoids also absorb light most strongly in the blue/green spectrum, but they also serve to protect the chlorophyll from photo damage. Phytochrome is a photoreceptor, a pigment that plants use to detect light. It is sensitive to light in the red and far-red region of the visible spectrum. Many flowering plants use it to regulate the time of flowering based on the length of day and night (photoperiodism) and to set circadian rhythms. It also regulates other responses including the germination of seeds, elongation of seedlings, the size, shape and number of leaves, the synthesis of chlorophyll, and the straightening of the epicotyl or hypocotyl hook of dicot seedlings. Other plant photoreceptors include cryptochromes and phototropins, which are sensitive to light in the blue and ultra-violet regions of the spectrum.

By calibrating my lights to target these absorption peaks, I have been able to consistently produce the highest quality crops. I cannot reveal the exact nanometers of light in my formula as that is a trade secret, but it has been reached through years of careful experimentation and study. My lights put out light that is 95% absorbed by the plant, meaning that nearly no light is wasted. When compared to metal halide or HPS lights, the Spectra series of LED grow lights outperforms the competition and saves energy. Less than 20% of the light put out by these traditional grow lights is absorbed by the plant, meaning that the vast majority of the light energy is wasted. These lights also put out less light in the red and orange spectrums, which means that my light, once again, outperforms these older options. Combine this with the fact that LEDs are inherently better than traditional lights in that they are longer lasting, less expensive, and better for the environment, and it is clear why they are the next step in the evolution of indoor growing.

If these facts are not enough to convince the serious growers out there, come into our forums and have a discussion with some of the growers that have actually used my lights and get a firsthand account of their worth.

Or, we could also discuss them here ;)

I understand customers wanting to know the exact spectrum of the light they are purchasing, and I also can appreciate the vendor not wanting to reveal the exact formula to their success, especially in an industry where knockoffs abound.

I can respect both of those desires.

I agree... the LED's have had a little extra something that's starting to become an obvious difference... I think that "tuned" light must just be a little easier for the plant to deal with. Still, says a lot about the tried and true HPS technology that it takes the best LED light out there to beat it.

we still have a few weeks, but it's looking like both tents are going to yield more than I expected.

It's very interesting to see plants respond so well to a light spectrum that looks so different to *us* than sunlight. The HID looks more like sunlight to us, and so naturally, I expect the plants to "like" it more, but they love to bask in those purple rays.

Even with some understanding of PAR, it still looks weird to me when they reach up towards their purple sun.

Nice work Sun - you are truly an asset to our community. I hope everyone realizes just how much... :)

thank you OB-1

it wouldn't be nearly as much fun or rewarding doing these grows for just me and my dogs, lol

SS,

Even over the ethernet, those LED girls are looking more solid than the HIDs are now. But both are beautiful harems, you're a good sheik :smokin:

If you're tallying votes on your next comparison, put mine in for an LED/CMH throwdown.

/QUOTE]

I'll repeat what I said in your coco thread.

The ladies treat me well, so they deserve the best ;).

LED/CMH would be a good comparison. I found out today that the 150w CMH bulbs will run just fine in digital ballasts, and I have two 150w digital ballasts and two hoods that will fit in one of my tents.

Two 150w CMH vs two 180w LED's would be a possibility. I could pit them against the 360w Spectra, but not sure if running two HID hoods vs a single LED panel would be fair.

Anyhoo, your vote is tallied ;).

Also, thanks for all the effort you put in these comparisions. Guys like you show guys like me what's possible... and I can take that to the pipe :grinjoint:

dude, every time I unzip those tents I have the same thought:

those are mine? lol

but thank you ;)

The ADHD is borderline unmanageable [for others, not moi'] w/out, and I don't sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time. It will be interesting to see how this will work out for you headwise over time, especially in terms of tolerance.

Way better for asthma than what the Daktari like to give;)

b

I rarely sleep for more than 4 hours at a time.

I build up tolerance to many medicines very quickly, including medical marijuana.

"One-hitter quitter" becomes "2-joints no problem" in a couple of weeks, so what works best for me is to have at least two or three different strains to smoke and switch off with.

As an experiment, I once ground up and mixed half an oz made up from three different strains to see if that would have any effect on delaying tolerance.

It didn't.

Back
Top Bottom