re: GrowLEDHydro 300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

thanks bel

saw this on last night's journey.

PIC0721.jpg

on the dark side of the moon ;)

Shot it with a child's toy called an Eyeclops Bionicam:

https://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=500&uid=931501272

It's not easy to use, but when I get high and break it out, it's *always* a fascinating journey.

Those are trichs in that pic, but I didn't see my reflection until later, and yes, we were both quite affected ;).

The usb scope has three white LED's, and the pic captured their reflection and refraction.

not sure why the light behaved the way it did, but that's why I love doing this.

I think the key to these lights success, (apart from SS miracle touch), is the 3w diodes,
that's what seems to be giving them the extra kick that was missing from the 1w diodes on his earlier LED boards.

Would be great to see a front shot of the light while in operation, to gauge how much brighter those 3w diodes are over the 1w.

High tbrad!

Do you mean to take a pic looking directly into the LED's, or something else?

without having a 1w version for comparison, I'm not sure how I could demonstrate the difference.

I remember seeing a pic somewhere of the difference in brightness, and the 3w seemed a lot brighter.

thanks bro!

High tbrad!

without having a 1w version for comparison, I'm not sure how I could demonstrate the difference.

I remember seeing a pic somewhere of the difference in brightness, and the 3w seemed a lot brighter.

thanks bro!

Yes exactly, a shot looking directly into the LEDs, i remember seeing an older shot also, there are plenty of 1w shots floating around, but not so many of the 3w.

That microscope toy you have looks awesome!
I hate having to squint into a microscope, might have to get me one of those!

And thank you for doing these grows, they are always awesome.

A few more trich pics from last night's pic session.

I grouped them according to LED and HID, but they're just random pics that I took to re-familiarize myself with this scope a little before I need to start checking trichs for maturity.

First the LED trichs:

PIC0371.jpg

PIC0381.jpg

PIC0482.jpg

PIC0462.jpg

PIC0391.jpg

PIC0521.jpg

PIC0542.jpg

PIC0572.jpg

and now the HID trichs:

PIC0034.jpg

PIC0095.jpg

PIC0182.jpg

PIC0122.jpg

PIC0314.jpg

PIC0253.jpg

PIC028.jpg

The ladies are doing well and continuing to fatten up. I'm watering the LED plants every 3-4 days, and the HID plants every 2-3 days, depending on the weight of the buckets.

thanks for following!

OMG, :cheer::bravo::nicethread::smokin:

I have to have one of those.

The trichomes under the L.E.D. look a little more advanced than those of the H.I.D.. SS, I follow you on a almost continual basis. After this, it will be religiously!

Keep it up!

I'm tired and gonna take a nap, but wanted to re-iterate that the Eyeclops usb scope isn't real easy to use.

It's hard to focus, and the only way to get really decent pics is to plug the video output into a TV, because the little built-in screen won't cut it.

There are versions out now that don't let you take pics and store them to a usb drive, they just connect to a TV, which would be fine for checking trichs, but if you want to take pics, be sure you get one that does that.

It took a while to be able to take pics with it like the ones I posted, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Yes exactly, a shot looking directly into the LEDs, i remember seeing an older shot also, there are plenty of 1w shots floating around, but not so many of the 3w.

That microscope toy you have looks awesome!
I hate having to squint into a microscope, might have to get me one of those!

And thank you for doing these grows, they are always awesome.

thank you ;)

I'd try to oblige and get a shot like that for you, but without taking a pic of a 1w panel with the same camera, same photo settings, and under the same ambient lighting , it won't be very helpful to compare to a pic taken by someone else.

These lights are also bright enough to pose a risk of damaging a camera's sensor just as if you tried to take picture of the sun while it's high in the sky, so I'd probably "borrow" Mrs. Sun's cheap camera for taking that shot, lol.

OMG, :cheer::bravo::nicethread::smokin:

I have to have one of those.

The trichomes under the L.E.D. look a little more advanced than those of the H.I.D.. SS, I follow you on a almost continual basis. After this, it will be religiously!

Keep it up!

thank you Velo!

I was surprised to see a few amber trichs here and there on both the LED and HID sugar leaves I snipped for those pics, but I don't think I've ever looked at trichs this early before, so it might not be unusual.

I'm aiming to harvest these plants with a low percentage of amber trichs, so I'll be checking them every day when we get close.

Very curious as to whether they'll be done around the same time.

thanks again bro ;)

High tbrad!

thanks bro!

I seem to remember this as well SS, i think it may have been one of irish's last grows. I think he had quite a few side by side pics.
Ive been following this and looking forward to the first Eyeclops pics. I remember loving them in your last journal as well.

Bro you grows are so bad ass! i love how detailed you are with things.

thanks bro!

each of us brings our puzzle pieces to the table, the puzzle fills in, and then we feast together ;)

pot luck? :)

oh by the way i9 hooked up that exhaust fan and it kicks ass! i love it. very simple to wire also, i never used the brackets i just left them off,were yours already installed?

glad you like the fan too, I'm very happy with mine!

It's not the metal brackets that were the problem, it was the molded plastic tabs on the fan body that the brackets mount to.

The fan wouldn't sit on top of the tent the way I wanted with those tabs, so I cut them off with my dremel and a cutoff wheel. It wasn't a required mod, just one of those details ;).

I seem to remember this as well SS, i think it may have been one of irish's last grows. I think he had quite a few side by side pics.
Ive been following this and looking forward to the first Eyeclops pics. I remember loving them in your last journal as well.

yep, either on one of Irish's grows or on the GLH website. I'm pretty sure GLH had a pic comparing their older 1w panels with the newer 3w, but I just went over there and couldn't find it now.

Here's a pic I found on Google of a 300w panel with 1w LED's on the left versus a 180w panel with 3w LED's on the right.

growlights-300x156.jpg

yep, either on one of Irish's grows or on the GLH website. I'm pretty sure GLH had a pic comparing their older 1w panels with the newer 3w, but I just went over there and couldn't find it now.

Here's a pic I found on Google of a 300w panel with 1w LED's on the left versus a 180w panel with 3w LED's on the right.

growlights-300x156.jpg

Perfect picture, such a difference and that's only the 180 board!

I had also wondered about the footprints of the lights, to me it never really made sense to have a rectangular shaped light, when more often than not they would be used in a square environment.

How is it working with the footprint of the LED in a square environment?

And also, how do the footprints compare?
Theoretically, if you had a larger growing area, which light would support more coverage?

And one final thing, i think you mentioned it briefly before, but i had wondered about the density of the buds themselves, one of the regular complaints about earlier LED lights was "fluff buds", so im just wondering if the buds have a different texture/density to them at this stage?

Thanks again man, and i for 1 am very glad you have OCD, i have a strong feeling these journals wouldnt be nearly as good without it!!
:grinjoint:

And one final thing, i think you mentioned it briefly before, but i had wondered about the density of the buds themselves, one of the regular complaints about earlier LED lights was "fluff buds", so im just wondering if the buds have a different texture/density to them at this stage?

Hope you don't mind my chiming in, but I think the new generation LEDs from the handful of reputable vendors, for the most part, are pretty solid technology.

After following the journals of pioneers like SettingSun, Irish, Munki, and others, it is easy to see LEDs do work, they have to be high quality lamps though. By this point any LED light vendor wanting to stay in business has put some resources into R & D and testing and has to be able to provide lights that efficiently fit peoples needs. There is still a slew of poorly crafted LED lights everywhere on the market, but with a little research, the good ones are easy to spot.

I concluded a small first grow (with a fraction of the knowledge or experience of the aforementioned agronomists). Beyond all my attempts to kill the plants, the lights did their job and the buds were of decent size, dense, trichome covered, and smelling great.

There are many variables that play into growth and development, but as far as LEDs, the key I think (beyond not using poorly made ones), is to find the proper range and keep the light focused on a concentrated area (lamps closer to the canopy) verses going for a larger footprint, especially during flowering.

If this grow finishes out even close, it moves us in the direction that soon we will no longer be questioning the equivalency of LED to HID, it will just come down to which solution is the best fit to one's needs.

Back
Top Bottom