A58dguy's - Deep Water Culture - Skunk Haze - Grow Journal - 2014

Just seems to be a common issue with seedlings and leds and what has personally worked for me.

Easiest way is a CFL 3 inches above the seedling or so and the growth seemed better in my CFL seedling than my led but just more cotelydon and first leaf set growth after that the led plant took off

I actually let my plant grow into my led. Starting at 24 inches for a 2 inch mature seedling it vegged to about 8 inches and 10 nodes. 23 days.

After allowing it to grow into the led until I got minor light bleaching then constantly raising the led to an inch above that level every day I achieved an 32 inch high and 3 foot wide autoflower plant.

Good luck with however you choose to hang the leds. Some people have them like 3 inches above the plant and it works for them

I'd just put some black duct tape around any bucket I thought might let light to the roots. Pretty cheap and you'll have some tape left for other projects (you never have enough duct tape).

image15574.jpg
image15573.jpg

Just a couple pics to show a days worth of progress. By the time I get home tonight or def by tomorrow morning I think the official "race" will be on. It feels really good to be "growing" again.

image15588.jpg
image15587.jpg
image15586.jpg

Good morning, as you can see we now have 2 plants up and going. I just changed the water, running plain tap water that sat overnight. Ph is 5.7. I'm counting today as "official start date" so no nutes this week but I plan on going 1/4 strength next week. The p300 is now at 24' and running veg for 18/6. Temps pretty constant mid-high70's with a circulating fan and open vents for air flow. I'll prob go with pics every sat/Wed as much as possible. Have a great day.

Nice looking babies.

You won't need nutes for a while. Don't be surprised if nothing happens for a bit is just your tap root searching for water.

You can probably go 2 or more weeks on just tap water depending how hard it is.

I'd say just tap until she asks for food but it's up to you.

12650.JPG

This was my 1st full grow. Was a "trans siberian auto" from auto seeds. It was under a "taotronic" 45x3 led its entire 90 day life. I am very excited to see how these 2 non autos compare, especially under what seems to be be a much superior light. Either way I still have 3 more TSA seeds that will be the next grow.

Nothing like some morning "thought medicine" to come up with a "great idea" so for now I"ll just say that some minor changes have been made and will be posted tomorrow in honor of Veterans Day. If all goes right from the "changes" this "vet" should have a lot more produce.

image15671.jpg
image15672.jpg
image15673.jpg
image15676.jpg
image15677.jpg
image15678.jpg
image15679.jpg
image15680.jpg

Ok so there is the "latest and greatest" product of creative thought. The idea of a challenge has been on my mind the whole time, I think I've got it nailed. So a quick description of the pics and then a rundown of the overall plan.
#1 the current 3 plant setup in the 4x2x6 growden tent with 1 bagseed and 1 royal seeds "critical" (fem'd) under a P300 and 1 bagseed under the Taotronic 45x3 led used in my first grow. In this pic it shows the p300 in veg mode and the Tao in its full run mode.
#2 same setup but with the p300 in flower mode
#3-4 show the bagseed under the p300 @ 24'
#5-7 show the bagseed under the Tao @24'
#8 shows current conditions..note the high temp spike after adding the Tao...I opened more vents and moved the fan and temps have calmed down.
So the whole idea came up after much thought on how many plants could I reall fit in the tent, that combined with the realization that even though I believe I now have a much better light and growing conditions...in 6 weeks I could have 2 males...not being a fan of working for nothing I decided to take advantage of the available space and light not being used to add the "critical" fem'd from royal seeds. I figure she deserves the "better"light because she is a lady, that brought me to the idea of the challenge. I now have the 1 day older bagseed under the taotronic 45x3 which is full spectrum. I will be comparing it to the other bagseed currently sharing the p300. Both seeds came from a "favorite strain" of my brother in law and are believed to be the same strain. Anyways I will be watching the growth between the 2 and if by luck they both are female the real test will be yeild. The ph will stay between 5.7 and 6.0 and the nutes/feedings will be the same. So here is my best attempt to see how "lights" matter to an "average/part time" new grower. If the p300 indeed shows a well earned win then I will be adding a 2nd p300 to the tent. If not then I'm probably going to keep this setup and plan on running a 3 strain all Auto Seeds grow with kandy kush/trans siberian/pineapple punch mix this spring. So thanks for making it this far through my high rambles this morning. On a serious note happy veterans day to all those who have served before me, those who serve besides me, and to those yet to serve. Thank you all. We may not be a perfect country but we will always defend it no matter the cost.

Sounds like a great plan and comparing will be awesome.

I only see one thing that can hinder a direct comparison. It is the fact that plants use up nutrients in almost direct relationship with the power of the light feeding them

Example while under the topled 48x3w I had to keep my ppms lower than with my platinum p150.

Light strength and nute strength go hand in hand and you may notice this while checking the different reservoirs and noticing ppm and ph differing between them with very similar growing conditions.

So you may end up having to feed the less powerful led plant lighter nutes than the stronger one which would change the direct comparison, although if the light is making your plant desire stronger nutes than I guess it is directly comparable because it had to do directly with the light strength.

I may be on an 'enlightened' ramble right now so disregard if it makes no sense

Good morning everyone. So here is the official week 1 update. Things seem to be going well so far.
16246.JPG
17229.JPG
13341.JPG
12676.jpg
18209.jpg

1-2 show the tent with the lights off. Both lights are hanging at 20' which puts the light right at 18' above the plants now. No real change with temp/humidity. The water was changed in all 3 buckets today, PH 5.8-5.9 and 1/4 nutes were added......I know "they don't need them yet" but #1 I'm just following the GH 3 part series recommended feeding schedule(1/2 of what they recommend)and #2 based on the pics it looks like at least the "tao" plant was asking for them.
3 shows the "purple haze" which I know others have commented on, but I love being in there with the plants with the lights on...such a good place to relax.
4-5 here we have the current conditions and the most recent addition to the tent...I'm hoping the critical shows her head by the end of the weekend, it would put her right at 1 week behind the others.
19194.JPG
20167.JPG

Here is the older of the 2(by 1 day) already starting 3rd node I believe. She did have the "yellowing" started thursday. Initially I thought maybe she didn't like the led at 18' but honestly I kept the tao at 8-10 on the last grow the entire time with no issue, so Im hoping with the new food she clears up.
15260.JPG
14291.JPG

Here is "little sis" who has been under the P300 her entire 1 week life. Biggest differences so far...the obvious color difference, and she is quite "stocky" compared to her sis. I will say this though... the "Tao" plant does already have 1 main root already hanging through the bottom of the net basket where none are visible in the P300 basket...yet.
Anyways I think things are going "ok"and if the baby pops up today or tomorrow Ill throw a pic of her up, otherwise expect more pics on Wed. Take it easy and happy growing.:morenutes:

Just wanted to show what 24hrs and a little food can do. The little one under the Tao has really cleaned up and is getting bigger fast. The little one under the P300 is such a good looking green. So close to the 50 post mark....can almost taste the ability to PM....
Before
20167.JPG

After
21787.JPG

Looking good
22236.JPG

Back
Top Bottom