Antics Power Flower - Cali Jack FIM Grow

man pretty cool ...so..less space?...less light?...all bud?
Take it all the way. will be watching:bravo:

ps...was checking your fim..whats the verdict..(looks great )

Hi Antics,
Just chilling a bit here at 420 mag. & catching up. Already had a good laugh with your comment over at Mike´s journal, lol
Really nice the shape you got from your training method :goodjob:
It would be nice if now they only grew upward, wouldn´t it?
Release the bondage and watch them go wild on you, payback time :)

:cheer:

man pretty cool ...so..less space?...less light?...all bud?
Take it all the way. will be watching:bravo:

ps...was checking your fim..whats the verdict..(looks great )

The idea is to have a wider top, and shorter plant to create a large canopy, but not dense, to make sure that all the leaves on the plant receive the same amount of light. CFLs only have like a MAXIMUM range of like 8" or something like that, so it doesn't make sense to grow a 36" tall plant, when my lights only have an effective range of like 8".

FIM worked fine the second time on Power Flower, and I had 3 tops initially on Cali Jack, and the recovery of the last part was slow, but it has turned into 2 more tops, so Cali Jack has a total of 5 tops from the FIM.

Looking good the training should hold I had taken off my pipe cleaners that were holding down my plant..

Thanks! I actually just started using a few pipe cleaners myself since I ran out of ribbon, but I might switch to pipe cleaners, they're been really fast and easy to adjust, move, and use in general.

Hi Antics,
Just chilling a bit here at 420 mag. & catching up. Already had a good laugh with your comment over at Mike´s journal, lol
Really nice the shape you got from your training method :goodjob:
It would be nice if now they only grew upward, wouldn´t it?
Release the bondage and watch them go wild on you, payback time :)

:cheer:

Hahaha yeah.. he grew a dog lol. That was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw that picture, so I just had to say it lol.

Thanks man! Yeah, I'm stilll kinddaaaaa training Power Flower out a little more, I'd still like to see a wider spread, but I'm just going to let Cali Jack go and let her grow some big nasty tops (I hope!)

Thanks jg!

And I have new canopy pictures. It's insane how fast they're growing, even with all the defoliation I've done. My last grow, I didn't remove any leaves unless they were dead/dying.

Now I'm cutting off healthy leaves and I'm looking at the canopy just thinking to myself 'WTF?!?!?'

If anyone following this grow is a newer grower, watch other journals from experienced growers. I never in a million years thought I'd be cutting off perfectly healthy leaves, and I'm seeing improvements already from it. The training aspect is a little time consuming, but if it doubles my previous yield per plant, it's worth it IMO.

This forum alone is my source of information, so if/when my grows do better, and I see more yield, it's because I followed advice from more experienced growers here!

Anyways, pictures!

Power Flower:
2014-07-22_18-42-45_856.jpg

Cali Jack:
2014-07-22_18-43-17_921.jpg

Power Flower has spread out past the edges of the pot now, so I'm finally happy with its width. The FIM'ed branches are throwing out a lot of tops off them, so it makes the side view look really uneven, but it's a happy plant so far. No deficiencies or pests, so we're in good shape.

Cali Jack is a beast. She grew wide real fast, and the canopy is extremely dense compared to PF. Training was a lot easier as well. Half the FIM regrew reallllllllllllllllllllllly slow, but resulted in 5 main tops, so that's cool, and the 2 newest tops that sprouted are catching up fast to the rest of the bud sites.

I have all the ribbons and shit removed now. The girls have done well, so their punishment is over lol. I still have the single ribbon tied around PF to help train those 2 branches up through the canopy, which isn't working out too well now, but there's still time!
And I think I have a pipe cleaner on CJ supporting 2 branches that I supercropped a little bit (gave them both a slight bend, and am using the pipecleaner for support).

It's been 3 days since I watered and fed nutes, and the soil is getting really dry already. Temps have been fairly stable 74-76F. Oh! And I'm no longer having temps spike to 82 since I leave the door open during lights on :) I'll most likely be watering tomorrow, or the following day, water and nutes. And if I've done enough reading, I may be supplementing with molasses.

But I know you guys just skim through this stuff, you're all just picture hunters :D

Thanks for reading!

They look really nice Antics.
You know I'm keeping close eye on Power Flower, checking everything you do to her, not just pictures. Loving it so far. :thumb:

The trimming and the LST looks great. Just went through the whole journal and picked up a few things for LST, paperclips and ribbons. I'll be follow to see how the story ends. thanks.

They look really nice Antics.
You know I'm keeping close eye on Power Flower, checking everything you do to her, not just pictures. Loving it so far. :thumb:

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I hope it helps you in your own grow by learning from something I do, or from learning from one of my mistakes, so you don't have to make the same mistake!

The trimming and the LST looks great. Just went through the whole journal and picked up a few things for LST, paperclips and ribbons. I'll be follow to see how the story ends. thanks.

Thank you! Same thing as above, I hope that taking the time to make a journal will you out somehow, whether it be something to make your life easier, or you learning from a mistake I may make, so you don't have to repeat it.

And a small update. I have been 12/12 for 24 days so far, and I occasionally can smell the girls growing, so it's filter time.

My previous filter was a table top fan, It's a 12"/30cm model, something like 340CFM, made by Holmes. Just a simple average fan. I originally had a horrible mess of makeshift ducting made out of cardboard. It worked, but it was hideous, and there was a 180 degree bend in the 'ducting' that lead to the filter for the way I had it all set up. It was very inefficient, and didn't pull a lot of air through it.

So I've made a few changes. I stole a pair of my girlfriends tights that she doesn't wear (Annnnd with my luck she'll look for them tomorrow.. but anyways) I took both legs together, and tied them off in a knot (It was easy, and I can untie them and wash them so she doesn't kill me if these are expensive or something)

Anyways, both legs tied off, filled with 3lbs of activated carbon. I then used a zip tie to close the top (Again, reversible for refills, or in case she's going to kill me). The back of the fan was tapered, with openings on the rear, and rear/sides all the way around, so I taped a ring of cardboard around it to make sure all air was only pulled from the rear of the fan. I laid the fan on the front and put my nifty simple filter on the rear, spreading it out and stretching the tights to a round shape. The extra legs can be lef to dangle or you can cut them off. I tucked it underneath. I secured the filter to the back of the fan using an 'X' of duct tape, and viola! Instant easy filter. This should work fine for a smaller grow. The carbon is about 1-2"/2.5-5cm thick and should filter the air enough so the whole house doesn't smell.

I love the smell of Cannabis, but I don't want my whole house smelling like it. Then everyone that comes over wants to smoke some.

Anyways, I'll let you guys know how effective/ineffective it is. I won't be turning on the filter yet, I like to wait until the smell starts getting stronger, and it seems to make the carbon last longer.

Thanks everyone :)

Mindreader! Im taking pics now lol ill have them uploaded in a few minutes. Just checking over the plants before i get back on the pc!

Ok pictures of the fan/filter:

Front:
2014-07-23_10-51-08_194.jpg

Rear:
2014-07-23_10-51-30_426.jpg

Top:
2014-07-23_10-57-33_496.jpg

Side:
2014-07-23_10-57-44_552.jpg

It's really simple, and I'm sure you can set it on its base if you have the space. I chose to use zipties to hang it from the clothes hanger bar in the closet. I'm sure you could make it bigger or smaller, depending on your filtration needs.

But keep in mind, I haven't tested it yet, so I won't know how effective it is at removing the smell of Cannabis for at least a week or so. I'm waiting for the smell to get stronger before turning the fan on.

And no update is complete without plant pics!

Side view pictures, since I just did canopy shots.

Power Flower:
2014-07-23_10-51-47_890.jpg

Cali Jack:
2014-07-23_10-52-08_566.jpg

:thanks:
I'm sending flowers now because she's gonna kill ya bro. LOL

That's a mighty fine DIY job there....I like it.

Ah man I hope not lol. I still haven't told her either lol
(pantyhose work great for removing bugs from chrome bumpers too, that one got me in trouble lol)

But don't worry, you can say it, it looks like crap :) I wish I had a better way to hold the filter against the fan instead of duct tape, it's killing a lot of space that could be used for airflow. I think today I'm going to replace the duct tape across the rear with electrical tape, and then secure the electrical tape around the perimeter with duct tape.

I'm going to try a flower technique I saw used by guys at Green House Seeds. They give the plants a nice healthy flush as flowering begins to remove any excess salts, they then let the soil dry up real well, and then start feeding nutes again. This process is supposed to remove all salt buildup from the roots, allowing them to access a ton of oxygen, as well as absorb more water and nutes when the feeding begins

Along with my nutes, I'm going to add 2 tablespoons/gal of unsulfured molasses as a supplement, and nute mix will be used in the 'transition phase' of 10ml grow, 10ml micro, 15ml bloom /gal.

I'm just waiting for the soil to finish drying up now. We're on 5 days since I watered last, so I'm guessing the flush will be today or tomorrow. Pot size is approximately 5 gallons, so I'm looking to run 10 gallons MINIMUM of PH 7.0 filtered tap water through each pot.

During this flush I will also try to catch the first bit of runoff from each pot, to test with my liquid PH test kit.

Thanks for reading!

I'va watched all of Arjan's and Franco's grow videos and besides getting a watering mouth and a strong urge to buy their seeds I learned those two things you mention: (1) drying out your plants 2-3 times in the flowering period and then hitting them with a good nute dose and (2) test the PH of the runoff water to see if more flushing is needed.

I've also now learned that my bag seeds (very possibly a blueberry hybrid of some sort, the flowers are blue/purple at their base) love this treatment of drying out and then getting lots of water, but my autos get extremely sad once their soil is dried out so that trick will not be applied to them anymore.

Back
Top Bottom